Page 1 of 2
You wanna build a cab?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by joel-lesperance
Also where would i get a head for it if its possible.

If you have to ask this question then I don't think you should try building anything...
Wait... what?

Plugging a speaker into a head is not building a guitar amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i lold
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I know how an amp works im just wondering if this speakers are good enough i want to make a 300w with 2 speakers i will make the box for it aswell. I just dont know if they are good speakers and where to get a head for it.
How does an amp work?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Well, sorta. I wasn't trying to be a dick. If you don't know something don't be afraid to ask.
Tons of knowledge on this forum for a 16 y/o to soak up.

Anyway, you guitar plugs into an amp head. The head is where the powe is, and where the signal is amplified and distorted. The amp head plugs into the speakers in your cab (cabinet). The amp also plugs into the wall outlet.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Get a guitar cab forcheap by building one? It's do-able, but your best bet is to get a used cab.

Also, ask yourself how loud you want to play. If your parents don't like noise you might not need a huge amp.

If you want suggestions as to what kind of amp would be good, you need to name the kind of music you like, some bands that have thAt sound, how much money you have, and how loud you need to be. Most amps are like cars, they accomplish the same thing(get you around town), but each make and model is different(different sound when talking about amps).
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
what if that was to basic i can go into more detail like the pre amp and power amp and stuff but i was wondering if there was amp head you just plug into speakers with eq pre amp power amp and power supply all built into one like what you would see inside a normal amp
Yeah that's called an amp.

I tried.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
i know a lot about amps that you can buy in the store but i want to build my own. money is not a problem i just want a 300w or more 2 channel amp. i only play death metal and groove metal really
This is a combo amp>
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amplifiers/combo
it has the speaker and circuits all in one package.

This is a cab>
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amplifiers/cabinets
It is just a box with speakers in it, you cant use this by itself...

This is a head>
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amplifiers/heads
This has the circuitry needed to play an instrument... but it can't be used without a cab.

So you want to buy a head then build a cab with those speakers.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+build+a+guitar+cab
Quote by joel-lesperance
i know a lot about amps that you can buy in the store but i want to build my own. money is not a problem i just want a 300w or more 2 channel amp. i only play death metal and groove metal really

Sorry, but there's no way in hell you need 300w. If you actually want to build an amp from scratch, to get 300W, you're either going to be building a solid state amp or a massively over powered tube amp. Either one would be a waste of time and money and not really doable at all given that I'm sure you have no knowledge at all in building amps and in electronics, if you don't even know how connecting a speaker works and where to buy a head.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sorry, but there's no way in hell you need 300w. If you actually want to build an amp from scratch, to get 300W, you're either going to be building a solid state amp or a massively over powered tube amp. Either one would be a waste of time and money and not really doable at all given that I'm sure you have no knowledge at all in building amps and in electronics, if you don't even know how connecting a speaker works and where to buy a head.

Yeah is this for a bass?
i dont need to know how to connect it all i just need to know where to get all of the parts. thanks dougl126. my dad is a master electrician im sure he could wire this in his sleep
If he's union, you'll have PAY him to sleep.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by joel-lesperance
i dont need to know how to connect it all i just need to know where to get all of the parts. thanks dougl126. my dad is a master electrician im sure he could wire this in his sleep

http://www.blueguitar.org/schems.htm
http://www.schematicheaven.com/index_HTML.htm
http://www.drtube.com/guitamp.htm

Have fun
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 18, 2010,
this thread smells like failure and burnt electronics

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Am i right that the amp head has to be equal or greater watts then the speaker to get maximum volume or no? can comeone explain if im wrong?
Well make sure the speakers are the same Ohms as the head supplies I guess. I dont know about the wattage.
So if i get any amp head and any speakers with the same ohms they will work together and i can use them to full potential?
This is all wrong. All of it is wrong. This is 100 percent wrong. It doesn't get any more wrong. It's as fat from right as you can get. It's like need to make a right and actually exploding.

The speakers need to be rated at atleast the same wattage as the RMS output of the head. Preferably higher if you're going to crank it for long periods. The impedance must match as well. Do you even have any clue as to how an amp works? It doesn't sound like you have anywhere near the knowledge to build one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
OK i understand a little and that kind of helps but why would they make different watt amp heads then? does the speakers watts not matter if i hook up a lower wattage head to it?
Quote by joel-lesperance
i know a lot about amps

No, you don't. Stop being so arrogant. It is painfully obvious from the language that you use that you know literally NOTHING about guitar amps.

Also your dad being a master electrician means nothing. My friend is an EE who designs navigation systems for a living and he can't make heads or tails of a tube amp, because its obsolete technology by modern standards.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by joel-lesperance
Am i right that the amp head has to be equal or greater watts then the speaker to get maximum volume or no? can comeone explain if im wrong?
This... for maximum smoke.

This thread is funny
TS, you should do a bit of Googling before thinking of starting a project like this.
Also, you should actually start by building simple stuff like pedals.
how about you just tell us what you want to play and we tell you what amp to buy.

how does that sound?
actually he has been doing it for years and he has built speaker systems before and fixed them. i do know enough about building them that i would know all of the parts but i dont know enought about how to wire them and what units are needed and stuff. the original purpose for this was so i could find out where to buy heads i usually dont use the internet so i am not familiar with where to buy things
If you just want to buy a head you aren't building one!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by joel-lesperance
actually he has been doing it for years and he has built speaker systems before and fixed them. i do know enough about building them that i would know all of the parts but i dont know enought about how to wire them and what units are needed and stuff. the original purpose for this was so i could find out where to buy heads i usually dont use the internet so i am not familiar with where to buy things

Again, modern experience does not relate to high end guitar amps. Also you are talking about building an amp and in the same sentence asking where to buy an amp head. If you knew the definition of the terms you are using you would know why we are laughing our asses off at you...

Edit: Ding, ding, ding. The post above me wins it all!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i play death metal and groove metal in my band and i just want to know where to buy the amp heads and speakers to put together.
If you just want to buy a head, so say damnit!

Musiciansfriend.com

Or just DRIVE to guitar center
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
There is a store.....it's more a a center....that may or may not sell guitar related things.

... Commas and being more communicative and less arrogant will help.

Google and gear building and customization are your friend, but with the knowlege(or lack ) you showed today, don't attempt

edit: now we are getting somewhere. Location and budget?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jun 18, 2010,
Page 1 of 2