how would you go about learning a new genre? im gonna try out for this band next friday (scene, hardcore kinda stuff), but ive been mainly a progressive/fingerstyle guitarist for the 6 years that ive played. so id like some advice from you smarties.
thanks.
Listen to the music and start learning some songs you like. You'll pick up on licks and techniques that you often see, and it should generally show in your playing style, naturally.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
why not apply what you know from progressive fingerstyles to little girl hardcore and be different.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
What specific genre do you want to learn? It helps to start somewhere then maybe that one genre you choose will lead you to learn and explore to the sub-genres as well.
theory. once you understand the basic tonality of a genre or style you can pretty much tackle it. i got roped into playing a country show for a benefit once. i read a brief article and listened to a few records. going from the prog idiom to that of the hardcore should not be all too difficult stick with phygrian modes and power chords. accents are ussually pinch harmonics and tritones on the third beat and odd meters will rarely be an issue except in the more demanding breakdowns
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
3 steps to learning any genre:

1) Listen
2) Learn
3) Emulate

^ this

and since you have only a week, the "learn theory" option isn't really going to do you much good.

Learning some songs in that genre is the quickest and surest why to get a handle on what they are doing.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 18, 2010,
wow, ug is really helpful when you venture out of the pit.. haha. thanks guys keep that shit coming.

Quote by Skagasm
why not apply what you know from progressive fingerstyles to little girl hardcore and be different.

i was thinking about it, i dont see any room for fingerstyle though.
Last edited by GoodnightHero at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by GoodnightHero
wow, ug is really helpful when you venture out of the pit.. haha. thanks guys keep that shit comming.

i was thinking about it, i dont see any room for fingerstyle though.

thats the beauty of it, its an unknown territory, so if you happen to find a place for it, it will set you apart, thats the only think about modern hardcore that i like, its totally up to you, ive seen ska hardcore, rap core, jazz hardcore, folk hardcore. you can really do anything with it.

edit: yeah lol i love the pit but asking a question there not related to missile silos, killing women, how amazing petrucci is , or fapping your better off somewhere else lol
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Last edited by Skagasm at Jun 18, 2010,