Hey so if i change my guitar to Drop C tuning (CGCFAD) do any rules change when memorizing or playing notes as well flats and sharps? or do chords change? Any information on if in a different tuning how rules or theory changes would be helpful to know. Thanks~!
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Well all the notes are dropped down a step, except on the C string where it's two steps. You obviously couldn't play the chords in the same way you would in standard tuning, but Drop C is really more for power chords, because since the C string is a fifth down from the G, instead of a fourth, you can play power chords with one finger.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
everything changes in that shapes are different, and that you're playing different notes.

but an Emaj chord is always an Emaj chord. it doesn't matter if your tuning was F D C X 17 Q, that will never change.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
ok so i havnt been playing guitar for awhile so i should learn guitar in standard tuning instead of drop C cause i just bought a new ESP SV standard guitar and i have it tuned to drop C to play children of bodom stuff but i also have an ibanez RG 7321 thats in standard tuning but if i was to learn guitar through proper techniques and standard tuning i would prefer to change my ESP SV back to standard tuning because it is my main guitar and having the feel and use of the original floyd rose with the whammy bar would be very benneficial so any comments on changing the tuning or not?
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
The only thing that changes when you tune down is that you have a lower range.

In your case you're tuning down a full step (2 on the C). So, if you want to play a C major chord, in standard tuning, the basic shape is x32010. When you've tuned down a step, you have to take that into an account and move the shape up a full step in order to keep the same pitch. Tuned a step down, you'd have to play x54232. So, basically, every note, pitch wise, has to been moved up 2 frets when you're tuned down to C. All notes on the low C string need to be moved up 4 frets.

It doesn't really matter what tuning you learn to play in as long as you can conceptualize what's happening. A C is always a C, G always a G, etc. What changes with different tunings is where you fret that note. Basic chord shapes are the same, the only big change is for chord shapes that use the low C string, you'll have to move that note up two additional frets. Ex: the major chord shape in standard is 022100, 355433, etc. In a drop tuning, it becomes 222100, 555433, etc in order to offset the step drop in the bottom string.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Quote by monobrow7
ok so i havnt been playing guitar for awhile so i should learn guitar in standard tuning instead of drop C cause i just bought a new ESP SV standard guitar and i have it tuned to drop C to play children of bodom stuff but i also have an ibanez RG 7321 thats in standard tuning but if i was to learn guitar through proper techniques and standard tuning i would prefer to change my ESP SV back to standard tuning because it is my main guitar and having the feel and use of the original floyd rose with the whammy bar would be very benneficial so any comments on changing the tuning or not?

It doesn't matter what tuning you learn to play in. If the songs you want to play are in Drop C, then tune to Drop C.
Oh, and just to let you know, I'm ****ing jealous; I want an ESP SV
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.