So two weeks ago, I was surfing craigslist to see what deals I could find, and I come across an ad that said "FENDER STRAT $250" and I opened it, and saw a red strat with a floyd rose. But somewhere in the ad, the guy mentioned there was something wrong with the fretboard, and seeing how I wanted a project guitar, I bought it. Long story short, there was nothing wrong with the fretboard, the frets were just scalloped, I haggled and got it for $200, it plays good and all, but I was debating whether I should customize it or not. I was thinking new Floyd Rose(double locking), new tuners, and new electronics. would it be stupid to remove the old/stock parts(it has gotoh tuners and a schaller single locking floyd rose) and replace them w/ new parts?

Well here's a picture of said guitar, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
I wouldn't do anything to it personally. Older floyds are generally better than the newer stuff. If it's an '80s OFR, KEEP IT.
DIO FOREVER
I know, but its a single locking, and it doesnt stay in tune, i constantly have to tune it, and it gets bothersome
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Quote by xyz66
I know, but its a single locking, and it doesnt stay in tune, i constantly have to tune it, and it gets bothersome

Looks like the string clamps are missing off the nut (unless you've taken them off). If you haven't removed them, get some new ones (and screws) and that should help your tuning problem... http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Floyd_Rose_nuts_and_parts.html
Quote by lostcreation333
Looks like the string clamps are missing off the nut (unless you've taken them off). If you haven't removed them, get some new ones (and screws) and that should help your tuning problem... http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Floyd_Rose_nuts_and_parts.html

I removed them because of my need to constantly tune. having to undo each clamp, then tune, then clamp, then fine tune every time i wanna play soon becomes a bitch.
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

You're likely to suffer more tuning problems without the clamps.

If you're not staying in tune with the clamps, could be that the FR is worn or damaged (the knife-edges that sit against the posts).
Quote by lostcreation333
You're likely to suffer more tuning problems without the clamps.

If you're not staying in tune with the clamps, could be that the FR is worn or damaged (the knife-edges that sit against the posts).

I took off the clamps when i decided not to actually use the floyd due to the poor tuning stability. and there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesnt stay in tune as well as other floyds because it only locks at the nut(single locking)
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Last edited by xyz66 at Jun 18, 2010,
I would say just upgrade it according to performance and preference, no point in fixing something that isn't broken. So if the bridge sucks, get a new one. If you want the elctronics to sound better, get new ones, or change the wiring. If you don't like the color, repaint it, etc...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Just read that it is a schaller, I'd say it's either poorly setup or worn out, 23 years of use is alot. Sounds like you're in over your head a little with this floyd business though, if you don't want the hassle of one than maybe you should consider trading it or selling it for something a little easier on the upkeep.
Last edited by Shashing at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by Shashing
Just read that it is a schaller, I'd say it's either poorly setup or worn out, 23 years of use is alot. Sounds like you're in over your head a little with this floyd business though, if you don't want the hassle of one than maybe you should consider trading it or selling it for something a little easier on the upkeep.

It doesnt seem like its in bad condition, and i've had floyd's in the past, I've had double locking Floyds(which stayed in tune amazingly well), single locking floyds(which stayed decently in tune), but never one like this that i need to tune every time im about to play. And i dont want to get rid of this guitar, it plays amazingly well, and well i fell in love with it.

Quote by MonkeyLink07
I would say just upgrade it according to performance and preference, no point in fixing something that isn't broken. So if the bridge sucks, get a new one. If you want the elctronics to sound better, get new ones, or change the wiring. If you don't like the color, repaint it, etc...

well thats what I was thinking hardware wise, but i dont wanna look back on it saying that it was a stupid mistake, or it affecting the integrity of the guitar.
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me