So I wrote a thrash type of riff, and I really want to come up with some solo or lead stuff to go over it, but when I wrote all the notes out, it doesn't follow any key signature that I've learned...Major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor...Nothin'. I'm pretty confused as to how to approach soloing and stuff...Any help?

If it means anything, the chords used in the riff are A, A#, C, D, D#, E, F (in alphabetical order, not how they're played in the riff)

Thanks!
Quote by Trivium1224
So I wrote a thrash type of riff, and I really want to come up with some solo or lead stuff to go over it, but when I wrote all the notes out, it doesn't follow any key signature that I've learned...Major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor...Nothin'. I'm pretty confused as to how to approach soloing and stuff...Any help?

If it means anything, the chords used in the riff are A, A#, C, D, D#, E, F (in alphabetical order, not how they're played in the riff)

Thanks!

Can you post a recording of you playing the riff?
shred is gaudy music
Probably some Phrygian type scale because of the flatted 2nd.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Yeah, give me 5 minutes and I'll record it really quickly. But I'll warn you, it's a pretty cheesy 80's style thrash riff
what's more important than anything is the tonal center. what key is it in?

also, i hope you mean "notes", not "chords" i treat power chords as notes, rather than chords, because the fifth is really only there to strengthen the root.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Isn't that A phrygian in the key of F? I'm still new to theory, but I would guess that.
a minor. the f is fine, you can straight a minor over it.
as for the rest take A minor pentatonic with the flat 5 or something...and just follow that one little run down thing at the end of each time you play the riff. pretty much A minor, but avoid the 6th (F) unless you make it a major 6 (F#) until you hit the big F chord
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
oh, i get what you're saying now.

yeah, A minor is fine. just watch out for the Bb and the Eb. other than that, you're good.

Quote by sidebuster
Isn't that A phrygian in the key of F? I'm still new to theory, but I would guess that.

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Thanks guys! I deleted that last post cause I didn't want the guy above it to get confused. Thanks again for all the help!
Its in A.... of the minor flavor

The 1st half of the riff itself is a straight up minor blues.

the 2nd half points toward phrygian.

As I was jamming over it these sounded good to me:

A minor blues
A minor pentatonic
A natural minor (listen for the clashing B, you may choose to avoid it ... or not)
A phrygian
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by sidebuster

A Phrygian shares the same key signatures as F

Take the key signature of A: It has 3 sharps. Phrygian has 4 lowered notes. So key signature with one flat is F.

A B C# D E F# G# A

b2 b3 b6 b7 = A Bb C D E F G A
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?