Well I'm waiting in the mail on my Peavey VTM 120 head. And i'm looking for get a 2x12 that can handle the head. Most of my playing will be done in my house for the time being so the volume must be kept to a minimum. Now i've been told that playing an all-tube amp at low volumes won't sound very good cause tubes shine at medium or loud volumes. I've also been told than I can get an attanuater? to make it sound better at lower volumes. But I was under the impressions the attenuater is just a fancy name for a volume pedal which I don't think is what I need. Can someone clear this up for me and reccomend me a product that will make my all tube amp still sound good at lower volumes?
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 18, 2010,
...An attenuator. When you use it, it lowers your volume so that you can crank the amp further and still play at a comfortable volume.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
A volume pedal is not what you need. To get tube amps sounding great, you need the power amp to work hard, so attenuators work by going in after the power amp stage, absorbing some of the output.
Volume pedals can't operate after the power amp as the impedances or whatever might mess up your transformer.
Fender CP50's Stratocaster/wKinmans
Peavey Valveking 112
Lovepedal Eternity FUSE
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop JH1 Wah
Attenuator isn't a fancy name for a volume pedal, but, it won't do you much good anyway.
An attenuator won't make your amp sound better at bedroom volumes, it's used by people who could crank their amp to 6, but, want to achieve the tone that they get with the volume being set at 8. (This is an example; obviously it's not going to be accurate for all amps.)

Basically, you're not going to get something to make it sound like a cranked tube amp. But, still, your amp won't sound bad. Just not at it's full potential.

You've also got to decide what kind of sound you want. Some genres don't need the sound of pushed power tubes.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Yeah, when my spider valve 212 still worked it sounded awesome at high volumes and not as good at low volumes, don't know if it's the same with yours. My blackstar, however, sounds great at all levels/
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
Quote by handbanana
So you're saying an attenuater won't do anything for me?

No, but I'm saying it won't give you what you're after. It will help, to some extent, but, in your position, I wouldn't say it's worth the investment.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Can anyone suggest something else that might help me get a fuller tone at lower volumes. Maybe i'll just end up trading the 120 watt head for some kind of 50 or 60 watt head? I was really dead set on this VTM as it was right in my price range and delivered just the sound i'm looking for. Although at the same time I kind of want something with el34s cause im a bit of a marshall fan boy.
^A 50 watter is still wayy loud. Try out a Vox AC4 or a Blackheart BH-5.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I really don't want to get rid of the head if I don't have to. And I want to be able to play out sometimes and possibly gig with it in the future. Also I need more of a high gain amp than the vox
What I do with my AVT is crank the master and presence, then keep the channel volume low, it seems to work it a bit harder to me at least.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.