so, looking at different amps to upgrade to, some great, others not too different, but more usefull

anyway, if i could just have some input and thoughts on the amp choices i have picked, i will also give my thoughts in their descriptions, please let me know whether my thoughts are accurate or not

Axe Fx: Whether i got the Ultra or the Standard, the product itself is pretty much the best on the market as far as modeling goes, it can do everything anyone could want, and well, but there are downsides, like it's more than obscenely expensive, it would still need a FRFR (full range flat response, EX: a good PA) to get the full experience, and not to mention it's possibly one of the most complex pieces of gear available right now, this being said, even without going too in depth, one can still get excellent tones from it

Vetta II: A unit that can get many good sounds, like the axe fx, only slightly cheaper and easier to use, can come as a combo, but, here is where things get iffy; because it uses guitar speakers, the true authenticity of the speakers and amps modeled is put into question, a vetta new is still very pricey, and used might be cheaper, but at the cost of more possible problems, the amp still sounds good, BUT and this is the part that sucks... there are rumors this line of amps has been discontinued, making them even harder to find and more expensive in the long run

Vypyr Tube 120 head: A simpler amp to use than the first two suggestions, tubes would cost quite a bit less since there are less of them, everything would come in one package like the vetta, but the amp itself is a fraction of the cost; however, the quality of the models and effects are debatable, only one effect for pre and post can be used at one time (EX: chorus in pre, and tremolo in post, only one effect in each, pre and post) all the features are only accessible with the sanpera pedal, in general overall quality of sound is questionable

Software (EX: guitar rig, amplitude, revalver): to be honest, i don't know enough about these to really say, i've heard they're amazing for the price, but i've also heard that in some cases they're a nightmare, more info and advice on these is appreciated

Guitars: long story short, i'm looking at purchasing a Korean James Tyler Variax 89, a "shredder" variax that seems like it will be quite good, my brother is getting the US version, so the sound quality will be more or less the same, although playability would be enhanced, so i will have to see

the reason for this guitar is that i would be able to get a very wide variety of tones and tunings very easily, plus i prefer the scale length of ibanez/schecter guitars, to give an idea of the scaling and such

Overall, my dream rig would be one that can do everything from metal, to ska, to jazz, to classic rock, high gain or clean, well. That's everyone's dream rig, i know, so just some pushes in a direction would be helpful

thanks tons, and sorry for this Berlin Wall of text
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Vettas are a dime a dozen. You can practically find them everywhere used for very cheap.

The Axe rapes it in sound quality though

I really like the Vypyr tubes, I'd rather have one of those than a Vetta (and I've owned 2 Vettas).

Do you really need modeling though? If your budget is big enough to get an Axe-FX, you'll also need a power amp to run it through. If you have that much cash, why not just buy a few amps and A/B them together?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 18, 2010,
not necessarily, check me on my math but check this out...

Axe (=2100 US dollars after tax) + Active PA or Monitor (about = 600-800) =total= about 3000

whereas my dream tube rig

6505+ (1200) + Kustom Double Cross (about 1400) + Effects (300-600 ?) = about the same, maybe a bit more, and i would still need a cab (i already have one, but you know what i mean)

OR maybe...

Mark V (about 2100) + effects == still about as much as Axe fx

that is why i would rather just go with the axe if that would be my budget, i would prefer cheaper though...
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
AxeFx is overrated and for the price you're probably better off with a very nice amp and a few effects. It sounds great, but it isn't what everyone makes it out to be. I think a lot of people look at the price and assume since it costs so much that it must be something very special. It's not. I had a standard and got rid of it after a few months. There are a lot of things it does very well but, in my opinion it's just not worth it. With a bit of patience you can get the same kind of sounds out of rack mounts that are twice as cheap. Flame away, fanboys.

The software you mentioned is, in a word, 'meh'. I've tried guitar rig and amplitude. They do make it fairly easy to dial in a decent sound into your DAW, but I was never overly impressed with any of them. They are, however, worth the money in comparison to spending $2k plus for an AxeFx.
Quote by Metalmaker
not necessarily, check me on my math but check this out...

Axe (=2100 US dollars after tax) + Active PA or Monitor (about = 600-800) =total= about 3000

whereas my dream tube rig

6505+ (1200) + Kustom Double Cross (about 1400) + Effects (300-600 ?) = about the same, maybe a bit more, and i would still need a cab (i already have one, but you know what i mean)

OR maybe...

Mark V (about 2100) + effects == still about as much as Axe fx

that is why i would rather just go with the axe if that would be my budget, i would prefer cheaper though...

Well... I'm talking used here... but where are you getting a new PA for $600-800, that's any good at least?

Axe ($1700) + VHT Power Amp ($1000) = $2700

or

6505+ ($700) + Double Cross ($1100) + Effects ($400) = $2200

or

Mark V ($1700) + Effects ($400) = $2100
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i tend to try to avoid used unless it is literally, nearly untouched, i've had TERRIBLE experiences with used...

my dad bought a used 7 string and...

well, to be put bluntly, it was unplayable and the electronics were near non-existent, even though the ad said and showed otherwise, something similar happened to a marshall combo i got one time (forgot the name, but not an mg) and basically broke within a year and the amp tech said it was something that would have been well on its way by the time i got it

as far as what stoic said, i've heard similar things, but my bro is also getting an axe fx at some point so i can try his out

as far as cheap pa, there is one called an Atomic Reactor, its a FRFR cab that is made pretty much specifically to go along with the axe fx

in a nutshell i suppose, i'm going to do a bit more testing of the vypyr, and the axe should be able to tested through my brother, i am still somwhat iffy about the multiple tube amps or the one good one with good fx, don't know why, it may just be my frugal nature

just in case, is one of the tc electronics floor pedals a safe bet for effects no matter what?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by Metalmaker
as far as cheap pa, there is one called an Atomic Reactor, its a FRFR cab that is made pretty much specifically to go along with the axe fx

That's not a PA... But yes that would be a good choice with it, I didn't know they were out yet.

I've bought probably close to 100 things used online, without trying them, ranging from $5 - $3000 and have never had a problem with a single one. Maybe you just have bad luck or don't know what questions to ask before hand
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com