hey guys,
I'm going to be moving to a new apartment in a few months, and it's making me have to downsize my amp. As of now i have a mesa boogie triple rec with its matched 4x12. I play predominately pop rock and clean blues rock, jazz, etc...think john mayer, srv, matchbox 20, The Wallflowers, etc., and I'm a session player and touring guitarist.
I'm contemplating either just getting rid of the 4x12 and getting a 2x12 cab for the mesa, or just selling the whole thing and getting a 2x12 combo. I know that I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't use the triple rec for what it's designed for, but i found that it gave a pretty decent sound for what i need. In that same breath, it might make sense to get rid of the amp altogether and get something more 'traditionally; geared for my style
My budget is around 2,000

Thanks!
you could keep the amp and try a THD hot plate attentuator. ive never used one though, and wouldnt know how much quieter it could make your amp.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
I'm not downsizing because of the loudness, I'm downsizing because of the size. thanks though!
Well, what you've got is an odd fit for what you do. But I play country gigs with my CAE/Rivera, so I know where you're coming from.

I would seriously look at a Fargen Blackbird. You could get anything from a 20watt deluxe power section to a 40 watt pro power section and 1x12, 2x10 or probably 2x12 speakers (they're semi-custom). It's well suited to the styles of music you mention.

If I were going to play sessions in the styles you describe, the Blackbird and a ToneBone Classic would probably be my weapons of choice.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jun 18, 2010,