Page 1 of 2
I was reading a few days ago about plans in the UK to put an automatic 18 (the highest) certification on any film showing smoking. The idea behind the plan is to stop children and young people, who might otherwise be encouraged to start smoking, from being influenced.

So I was thinking: is it really necessary to have people smoking in a film? Does it add realism or should it be censored?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
how do I edit to include a poll?

You can't; you have to check the box as you make the OP.

Ah well.
Quote by blue_strat
You can't; it has to be as you're making it.

Ah well.

TBH I was gonna include a poll but I then decided not to.
Quote by Echohead
Nothing that happens in real life should be censored.

/thread
The film "Thank You For Smoking" sorta deals with a similar topic.

Anyway, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Censorship, nanny state dumbing down rubbish agh
Quote by Echohead
Nothing should be censored.

Fixed. Censored.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Last edited by walkinbazooka at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by Echohead

Yeah...Let's expose some young children to sex and brutal murder?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
...Only in UK
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by Craigo
Kids aren't idiots, believe it or not.

Kids do have a habit of copying things they see, but yeah, kids aren't stupid.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
...Only in UK

People in the states have been trying this for at least ten years. You can Google smoke free movies.

Movies and TV shows are where a lot of the cool factor behind smoking comes from. All the badass people do it, the bad guys do it, almost anyone who has sex does.

I would really like to see them have less of it but censorship would cause too much trouble.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

As ****ed up as it sounds sex shouldn't be censored at all, for anyone. It actually does the opposite of what censoring is trying to accomplish.

Anyways I'm not in the UK and I'll be 18 soon so censoring won't affect me at all.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

Yeah! I don't actually know any young children though.
Quote by Craigo
Kids aren't idiots, believe it or not.

My every experience with kids tell a different tale
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
think about this: if they did that, 101 Dalmatians would be an 18 cert. SERIOUSLY?

Cruella liked the cigs.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
think about this: if they did that, 101 Dalmatians would be an 18 cert. SERIOUSLY?

Cruella liked the cigs.

Yep. Alice In Wonderland would also be given an 18 rating because there's a couple of cigars being smoked.

Come to think of it, most films would end up with 18 certificates.
Quote by Echohead

this.

That is such an impressively stupid idea.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Quote by Banjocal

Cruella liked the cigs.

That's where I think it's a bit off. Bad guys smoking supports the idea the they're bad.

Maybe like: Rated R for sexual content, alcohol and drugs, extreme violence, excessive smoking
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Yep. Alice In Wonderland would also be given an 18 rating because there's a couple of cigars being smoked.

Come to think of it, most films would end up with 18 certificates.

yah. i mean, im going to an extreme there: i mean, smoking isnt exactly good for you, but i think we should focus on banning stuff like Hostel. I had to watch that with some mates: its not just disturbing, its sick. sick violence should be controlled a bit more, but as others have said, violence is a part of real life, and the later you shield kids from it, the harder itll hit them when theyre older, so to speak
ha-haaa
Sauce?
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by Banjocal
yah. i mean, im going to an extreme there: i mean, smoking isnt exactly good for you, but i think we should focus on banning stuff like Hostel. I had to watch that with some mates: its not just disturbing, its sick. sick violence should be controlled a bit more, but as others have said, violence is a part of real life, and the later you shield kids from it, the harder itll hit them when theyre older, so to speak

I think Hostel is proof of how ****ed up we are. At least Saw had all the crazy twists and stuff. Even then, there's little to the movie except blood and watching people suffer for two hours.

I agree.

And there's a cigarette in Saw!
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Kensai
My every experience with kids tell a different tale

I was going to ask what you mean by that, but its probably best if I remain blissfully unaware...
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by BladeSlinger

oh my god! they should make it an 18/R!!!!!

wait....

still, SIX films? really? after the fourth, you know itll be shite. a good film only needs one sequel. maybe two at a push.
ha-haaa
Quote by red157
They really believed you had candy.

The fools.

Those poor things, like lambs to the Welshmen slaughter...
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
The only source I've seen for this is one council doing it...

Even then, I can't imagine it doing much. I doubt kids go 'OMG HE SMOKED IN THE FILM IVE GOT TO TRY IT', it's more down to mates or whatever doing it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Banjocal
oh my god! they should make it an 18/R!!!!!

wait....

still, SIX films? really? after the fourth, you know itll be shite. a good film only needs one sequel. maybe two at a push.

Star Wars
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Tedward

Anyways I'm not in the UK and I'll be 18 soon so censoring won't affect me at all.

Think of the larger consequences. Film producers want to get as much profit as possible. This means reaching the largest audience. Film makers often edit their films down to be able to get a PG or 15 rating. If this goes through, there will be much less smoking in films.

There's also someone cutting off his own leg with a hack-saw.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Star Wars

ok so im wrong....=P

still, the new ones arent as good, the original 3 were awesome...im sounding dorky...
ha-haaa
Quote by Lil Macker
The only source I've seen for this is one council doing it...

Even then, I can't imagine it doing much. I doubt kids go 'OMG HE SMOKED IN THE FILM IVE GOT TO TRY IT', it's more down to mates or whatever doing it.

It's not that dramatic. They see it from an early age and continue to associate it as a cool, accepted thing. By the time people are shoving it down their throats to not smoke then they've already been exposed to it from many different sources. Most kids are smart enough to not do it but others end up trying it because of continued exposure.

My little theory at least. Hypothesis rather.

EDIT:^I think you were off topic. That's right, your parents didn't want you, you just kind of happened.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2