It's no secret that a lot of people hate the push-in Ibanez tremolo arms. The nylon tension washers tend to lose their friction with time and the arm ends up in a free swing. Damn, I wish I had a Floyd-style screw in arm, you say. And you can. Total time taken by the mod is around ten minutes, and the cost is in the area of one twenty dollar bill.

Here's what we need:

- a Floyd-style screw in arm. I used the Allparts BP-1000-003. It's cheap and seems to hold on just fine.
- pliers
- a dremel or a similar rotary tool (alternatively, a metal file and some patience)

Process:

a) Take your bridge out of the guitar. You can go all hardcore on this step, do a full destring, and remove the bridge. I'm too ghetto for that, so I stripped the springs from the back, and gently took the trem out.

b) Remove your old push-in arm socket. First, unscrew the retaining spring (attached with a small phillips screw on top of the socket, already removed on the picture), then remove the fixnut (marked with the magic white arrow). This one might be tight, give it some effort. Finally, unscrew the actual socket - it will come out from the top of the trem. Now you have an Ibanez tremolo with no socket!

c) time to fix the new socket to the trem. Good news - it fits (that's what she said). Bad news - the barrel thingy is too long and won't let you fix the socket from the back. That's where the dremel comes in. A minute later I had it ground down to size for a perfect fit. Cut as shown on the magic diagram. Alternatively, you could locate a longer fix screw and use that. Don't forget to use the washer, and to tighten the assembly!

d) You're ready to go! Put the bridge back in. If you didn't take off the strings, shoehorn it into the route, attach the springs, and you'll probably still be in tune as I was.

The downside of this mod is that a floyd-style arm sits a bit higher than the push-in arm, and might feel weird and unusual. If you didn't break any parts of the original socket, you can always reverse the mod.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I've seen this mod a few times before, and I've been thinking of doing it, but I cant really be bothered
I much prefer the profile and action of the original arm, but I've heard a bunch of people say things like "I'd buy an Ibanez if it had a proper trem arm".

Actually the Wilkinson VS100 retrofit might combine the best of Gotoh arm profile and screw-in action. Sadly those sockets can really only be salvaged off VS100s, which cost a pretty penny. Might try it on mine to see how hard it would be to make it fit.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!