Hey GG&A,

I'm looking to get new pickups sometime in the next week for my Ibanez RG1570. I play a mixture of classic and modern rock, with some forays into lighter metal, but nothing death/black-oriented. Think Van Halen, Rush, Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert, Iron Maiden, Andy Timmons tones. My amp is an Egnater Rebel 30, and I use a BB Preamp and an MXR Super Comp for most of my tones. Clean tones are also very important to me, so I don't want anything with ridiculously high output. I would like something with very defined bass response, because I find it easier to dial in bass to warm things up than to cut bass that's unruly and too loose. I want lots of lower mids; my tone is based off of lower mids (at least to my ears), and I like the distinct, solid thump I get from lots of lower mids. I tend to roll back the upper mids and treble, but that could be because my current pickups are producing 'ugly' treble. So, in terms of high end output, I'll let UG give me a recommendation. I'm gonna need F-Spaced pickups as well. Any other information needed? Please ask.

On a more technical level, I've come up with some other requirements upon doing some research. Because I want a moderate output pickup, I think I want a pickup that sends out something like 300 mV. In terms of impedance, I think a good, moderate output for me is around 8.5 or 9K, but I'd prefer to go a bit over than a bit under. I know I want an Alnico magnet, probably Alnico 5 since it has a tighter bottom end. Feel free to recommend other magnet types if you have justification. I used to think I wanted an Asymmetric wind, but now I realize I don't know the difference between asymmetric and even winding. Any help on this would be appreciated.

The final question is this: With a budget of $250 to fill up a H-S-H guitar, do I go for mass-produced DiMarzios/Seymour Duncans, or do I get HighOrders? Jeff from HighOrder winds his pups here in Florida, so that's inexplicably nice for me, and I've heard great things about his pickups, and the care he puts into them. But I feel like I can trust DiMarzio or SD a bit more with their consistency and options. Which does UG recommend?

Thanks.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Try out the Highorders, might as well since they are close. If you love them, you found your new pickups but yeah If you want to buy generic pickups from the Big 3 (EMG, Dimarzio, Seymour) try to check em out and research them as much as possible. I'm gonna order a pair of Bareknuckle nailbombs which are hella $$ but I think they will be worth it but they are definitely not in your price range if you want H-S-H for $250. Try stuff out, all I can say.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I'll have to email the guy first to see where he is/if he can wind F-spaced pickups; Florida is a pretty big state. I don't want to drive 5 hours to Miami if I don't have to.

Beyond that, does anybody have any recommendations as far as Dimarzio pickups? I feel like ruling out Seymour Duncans; they don't seem to be what I want.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I think something like a Dimarzio AT-1 might be a good bridge pickup for you, a Liquifire/Air Norton or PAF Joe neck (for Dream Theater, you pretty much need a AN/Liquifire to get JPs neck pickup tone, nothing else is really similar, plus they're versatile enough to cover other sounds too)
Middle pickup, I'm not too sure about, maybe an Area 61?
Have you tried the AT-1? I'm concerned that it might be a bit too smooth in the bridge. I do want something that can crunch really well, as well as be able to produce a palm-muted chug of sorts. I also heard that the AT-1 is like a slightly modified Breed, is that true?

In the neck, I've pretty much decided on getting a PAF Joe, but the middle is still up for debate as well. The Dimarzio Area 67 sounds really good to me, as well as the True Velvet. The True Velvet will obviously be a bit noisy, but I think I can work around that.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I havent tried the AT-1, but I've been thinking about getting one. I'm not sure its based on the Breed, but thats what its most similar to. It is pretty smooth sounding, and I havent been able to find any clips of someone doing chugs with it, but I dont think a pickup alone will make or break your chugs, it should be pretty good for it. Maybe a PAF Pro in the bridge if you arent sure about the AT-1, its a little more aggressive sounding.
Quote by littlephil
I havent tried the AT-1, but I've been thinking about getting one. I'm not sure its based on the Breed, but thats what its most similar to. It is pretty smooth sounding, and I havent been able to find any clips of someone doing chugs with it, but I dont think a pickup alone will make or break your chugs, it should be pretty good for it. Maybe a PAF Pro in the bridge if you arent sure about the AT-1, its a little more aggressive sounding.

Yeah, I heard clips that made it sound so utterly smooth that I was like "this thing must be a one-trick pony." But I do agree that any moderate output humbucker will be at least usable for metal. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it, if not just for those amazing lead sounds it can contribute to. And hey, if I don't like it, I can try it in the neck or sell it or something.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30