Hey guys! I've always wanted to have a Gibson SG. It's always been of my liking. I got some money and I think it's time to upgrade from my first guitar. I've found a nice deal on a Gibson SG Specia Faded the only thing is that I play left handed and I'm worried about the knobs getting on the way of my rhythm playing. I know Jimi played one but you know, you could have handed him a string on a stick and he would have made it sound awesome. So what do you think guys? Would an flipped SG be comfortable enough to play? Also, how does the SG Special Faded to the regular SG? What are the differences? Thanks for the help!

There's barely any used left handed ones and I can't afford a brand new one. I've seen some nice deals on the right handed ones that's why I was looking into it.
yeh it looks cool i think, and just look at the way jimi plays it, they don't seem to be interrupting him much. the only thing i dont like about SG's are the fat necks, my small hands don't like it lol. but yeh it could work. and you sure there are no lefty SG's, 30 seconds on ebay might change your mind.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
The thick strings probably aren't going to fit into the nut too well when you try stringing it backwards so more than likely your going to have to take it to a tech and have the nut replaced.
Quote by Dempsey68
you sure there are no lefty SG's, 30 seconds on ebay might change your mind.

I looked on ebay and there happens to be a left handed right now but I can't buy right now that's why I made the thread, because they seem to be scarce. Thanks for the comments anyways.

I'm still on the fence about it, I might just get a left handed guitar and save up for a left handed SG.
You wouldn't be able to string it backwards without some serious modifications... The TOM-bridge is angled, and I don't think it has enough room for adjustment which would mess up the intonation. You will also have to replace the nut, of course.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I'm a lefty and had a righty SG years ago trust me do yourself the favor and save up for the lefty. You will hate it.
Quote by HomerSGR
You wouldn't be able to string it backwards without some serious modifications... The TOM-bridge is angled, and I don't think it has enough room for adjustment which would mess up the intonation. You will also have to replace the nut, of course.

Uh no. You'd have to flip the bridge (if at all)

And flip the nut, or put a left handed nut on it. Which really just requires gluing. No need for a professional doing anything.
I actually play my old left handed guitar righty and my righty Virgo lefty. The knobs can be a pain depending on how you pllay. If you don't anchor they don't get in the way at all really. You can take off the actual knobs so it's just the post sticking out; takes away some of the awesomeness of appearance though. You can also buy fairly low profile knobs which help a little if you anchor.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
yes you would have to flip the brige, and the nut, and most likely reset the action and inotation.

Also you could consider swapping the stock gibson knobs for cheaper ones. The gibson knobs are pretty big, and you could definitely go smaller. Check out the knobs on guitarfetish.com they will be uber cheap there
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
And flip the nut, or put a left handed nut on it. Which really just requires gluing. No need for a professional doing anything.

You can’t flip a nut. The cuts are angled toward the headstock and couldn’t be filed down without the strings hitting the frets.
Quote by jpnyc
You can’t flip a nut. The cuts are angled toward the headstock and couldn’t be filed down without the strings hitting the frets.

Yes you can. Not all nuts are like that.

I know for sure Strat nuts aren't like that.

And here's a few images.

As long as the nut isn't completely curved, you can do it just fine. And with an SG, you can.
You do need a new nut for gibson style guitars. The bevel will be the wrong way with the nut turned around. Problem is finding a lefty precut nut. I have to make my own as I dont know where to buy them. You dont need to flip the bridge but you would need to adjust intonation provided there is enough adjustment with the angle reversed. Some guitars there is some there isnt.
You have to love the internut and the nonsense people come up with.Yes you will need a new nut of you flip a right handed over to play left for the reasons stated above about the angles of the slot bottoms.Unless you just flip the thing and play with the strings as is. A zero fret would be nice since all the nut does is hold the strings in position and is not figured into the scale length/intonation of the guitar.
I am left handed and thank the gods I play right handed. Left handed people get screwed without even a kiss on every tool specialized for us.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
You could always buy a Gibson nut blank and file it yourself. Some of them come with "starter" grooves that are just a slight score line, hard to find those ones though.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Quote by Bhaok
You have to love the internut and the nonsense people come up with.Yes you will need a new nut of you flip a right handed over to play left for the reasons stated above about the angles of the slot bottoms.Unless you just flip the thing and play with the strings as is. A zero fret would be nice since all the nut does is hold the strings in position and is not figured into the scale length/intonation of the guitar.
I am left handed and thank the gods I play right handed. Left handed people get screwed without even a kiss on every tool specialized for us.

Da truth. I'm lucky I started playing right-handed not knowing there was a left-handed way to play.
Quote by handbanana
it's not like buying a new nut is expensive, they cost like $10

But then you have to remove the old nut, fit the new nut, trim it to width, sometimes shape it, cut the slots, glue it in place.
If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily ruin a nut and possibly even the neck if you do a really bad job.

Playing lefty is fun, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Although I play righty, I feel like I owe it to my illegible handwriting to play lefty once in awhile.