Page 1 of 4
So i was at my local music store yesterday and i was looking at amps. When i wanted to try an amp i was looking through guitars and i found this beautiful PRS custom something like this.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2565137202_f64aa9fe1d_o.jpg

It was AMAZING. They body felt great. The neck was soo smooth. Even the bird inlays were beautiful. The color and the finish looked fantastic. Then i started playing it. I played it though a Orange AD140, Rocker, JCM900 dual reverb. The guitar sounded awesome. The greats were way better then my ibanez (no surprise there). The crunchiness was great. I didn't get to try the guitar out on a really high gain amp, but i'm sure it could pull it off.

But then i looked at the price tag. It was for sale for 2000$ i believe it was a used guitar. I wasn't too surprised at the price, but i was wondering why the hell are PRS so expensive? I know they have the cheaper models, but i did not really like them.
(look wise i havent really played it) Is their a cheaper alternative if you like the PRS?

I fell in love with the guitar on the link above. I would like something like that. Even though i didn't like the rotary switch for the pick up selector i think it looks better then the McCarty models.

so yea? Why are they so expensive and Is there a cheaper alternative?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Why are they so expensive... They're just taking a leaf out of Gibson's book!
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
Why are they so expensive... They're just taking a leaf out of Gibson's book!

I wished you had said that they were just made so well or something XD.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by Aashraya
So i was at my local music store yesterday and i was looking at amps. When i wanted to try an amp i was looking through guitars and i found this beautiful PRS custom something like this.

It was AMAZING. They body felt great. The neck was soo smooth. Even the bird inlays were beautiful. The color and the finish looked fantastic. Then i started playing it. I played it though a Orange AD140, Rocker, JCM900 dual reverb. The guitar sounded awesome. The greats were way better then my ibanez (no surprise there). The crunchiness was great. I didn't get to try the guitar out on a really high gain amp, but i'm sure it could pull it off.

But then i looked at the price tag. It was for sale for 2000$ i believe it was a used guitar. I wasn't too surprised at the price, but i was wondering why the hell are PRS so expensive? I know they have the cheaper models, but i did not really like them.
(look wise i havent really played it) Is their a cheaper alternative if you like the PRS?

I fell in love with the guitar on the link above. I would like something like that. Even though i didn't like the rotary switch for the pick up selector i think it looks better then the McCarty models.

they're expensive because they use high quality wood, they're made by hand in the ys and use high quality parts.
prs do an se series they're normally under $1000, and they do the custom 24 se
Quote by britishsligean
they're expensive because they use high quality wood, they're made by hand in the ys and use high quality parts.

Well the SE i didnt like. They look feels odd to me. I liked how the more expensive ones the knobs are kinda scalloped in the wood. They dont stick out. Its kinda curvy. I dont know if that made sense but yea.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Paul-Allender-Electric-Guitar?sku=423368

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-25th-Anniversary-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=423596

Like those? I dont really like the way they look. I think they are a bit flat compared to the picture up there.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by britishsligean

Basically... With a PRS you get what you pay for. THat's not AS true with Gibson although granddaddy gibby still turns out some fine, fine instruments.

That being said, I wouldn't pay full price for a PRS. It's not worth it to me. For some people it is however. THAT being said, I own one and, for the most part, love it.

and in response to your picture you posted... LOOK AT THAT FINISH! that is hand applied for the most part and takes weeks to do. That's worth quite a bit of cash right there.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
hmm okay.

So is there any cheaper alternative? other than the cheaper PRS?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
hmm okay.

So is there any cheaper alternative? other than the cheaper PRS?

Used CE 22/24. One of the best deals around. Seriously.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I have a PRS Tremonti SE. I got it for under a grand. Running it through my Pod X3 Live into a Marshall 50watt, I've been completely satisfied with every tone I've coaxed out of the whole system.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
I have a PRS Tremonti SE. I got it for under a grand. Running it through my Pod X3 Live into a Marshall 50watt, I've been completely satisfied with every tone I've coaxed out of the whole system.

I'm not really into the body shape.

I would prefer something closer to the image link.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
Used CE 22/24. One of the best deals around. Seriously.

and the CE looks very nice but I've only found them for 1600$ to 2000$ mabye i'll check ebay.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
you can get used ce22/24s, cu22/24s, and mccartys for under 1500. GC used guitars for the most part are way overpriced in relation to the used market.

You could grab a starla or a mira new but imo they aren't nearly as good as a custom or a mccarty.

I've bought a couple of guitars new but there's really no reason to not go used for the majority of purchases.

PRS uses great woods, are hand made and finished, have great looking tops, great necks, and look and feel great.

you said it yourself that you picked it up and it looked and sounded great. that's why it's expensive.

Gibson's above a certain level are just as good. But Gibson does put out more crap comparatively.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Aashraya
I'm not really into the body shape.

I would prefer something closer to the image link.

That's fine, at the very least take it as a testimonial for a cheaper PRS model.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by AcousticMirror
you can get used ce22/24s, cu22/24s, and mccartys for under 1500. GC used guitars for the most part are way overpriced in relation to the used market.

You could grab a starla or a mira new but imo they aren't nearly as good as a custom or a mccarty.

I've bought a couple of guitars new but there's really no reason to not go used for the majority of purchases.

PRS uses great woods, are hand made and finished, have great looking tops, great necks, and look and feel great.

you said it yourself that you picked it up and it looked and sounded great. that's why it's expensive.

Gibson's above a certain level are just as good. But Gibson does put out more crap comparatively.

Ah okay Well i really like the custom. That is what i'm really into.

I'm just really attracted to the custom. I think i'll just save up and get one used or new if i have to.

oh and if you were referring to me going to GC i didnt. I dont really like GC. There is a store that is only in austin that have really nice people there. Idk how their used price is, but i looked at Ebay and most of the custom right now are similar to the store price.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by hockeyplayer168
That's fine, at the very least take it as a testimonial for a cheaper PRS model.

oh hehe will do

thanks for input.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
In my opinion I think they're much more expensive than they should be because they look like candy.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
In my opinion I think they're much more expensive than they should be because they look like candy.

Haha.

What would you recommend me? I am not to fond of the price either.

I play Mostly metal like trivium, Killswitch engage, Bullet for my valentine, but i also play things like bloc party, Escape the fate, nirvana, taking back sunday, blink 182, RHCP, Jimi hendrix... and on and on.

So i need a lot of versatility.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
You should just save up for it.

You can't replace your dream guitar, or find an alternative. For each person, there is always "that" guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Contrary to what everyone here is saying, PRS are not hand made. They are all (with the exception of Private Reserves) made by CNC. They even used to advertise the fact that they are CNC made.
They're still very good guitars, but you're paying a LOT for the name.
hmm okay

Well the i've only tried out pretty low end guitars so that is probably why the PRS seems so great.

I think i'll go gear hunting again and see what i like.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Any US Made PRS will always be a better buy than a similar model Gibson. Awhile back Guitar Player magazine did a comparison between a PRS SC245 and a Gibson LP Reissue. The only model that Gibson had that came even close to the level of quality of the PRS was $2000 more than the PRS. Anybody that thinks PRS are too expensive aren't comparing apples to apples. I have first hand experience with this as well with a Gibson VOS R0 I sold recently, there simply is no comparison when it comes to quality. Sadly the Gibson brand is really just a name now and has been rated as the worst company in the US to work for by it's own employees. I figure that has a lot to do with the current lack of quality control. My hope is that someone that cares can buy Gibson out before they let everything turn to crap.

Regarding CNC, the initial shaping of the PRS body and neck are done by CNC hence the fact that you can always count on a PRS to be top notch. All of the finish work is of course done by hand.

Lastly, you can find great deals on used PRS models on either BirdsAndMoons.com or TheGearPage.net. For my money stick with BirdsAndMoons if you can find what you are looking for.
Quote by thehikingdude
Regarding CNC, the initial shaping of the PRS body and neck are done by CNC hence the fact that you can always count on a PRS to be top notch. All of the finish work is of course done by hand.

Quite a lot of the work is done by CNC simply because it gives the best consistency. They're such high quality because of the QC they do after every stage of construction. Sanding, finishing, buffing, fretwork and construction have to be done by hand because it would be almost impossible to have a machine do those things because of the differences in each individual guitar, but calling them hand made is wrong.
Its actually quite interesting watching their factory tours, seeing how they are made.
cnc is just a tool. someone still takes everything afterwards and finishes it up by hand, checks it, and finishes it. It's just a more complex tool then a table router and some sand paper.
That's ok with me. Otherwise luthiers would have to be routing wood with their nails and cutting planks with their teeth.
Quote by thehikingdude
Any US Made PRS will always be a better buy than a similar model Gibson. Awhile back Guitar Player magazine did a comparison between a PRS SC245 and a Gibson LP Reissue. The only model that Gibson had that came even close to the level of quality of the PRS was $2000 more than the PRS. Anybody that thinks PRS are too expensive aren't comparing apples to apples. I have first hand experience with this as well with a Gibson VOS R0 I sold recently, there simply is no comparison when it comes to quality. Sadly the Gibson brand is really just a name now and has been rated as the worst company in the US to work for by it's own employees. I figure that has a lot to do with the current lack of quality control. My hope is that someone that cares can buy Gibson out before they let everything turn to crap.

Lastly, you can find great deals on used PRS models on either BirdsAndMoons.com or TheGearPage.net. For my money stick with BirdsAndMoons if you can find what you are looking for.

There's nothing wrong with you supporting or liking PRS as better guitars because that's personal preference. PRS may even have better averages than Gibson in the " not as nice" to " ideal" ratios too but that doesn't mean Gibson quality is crap by any means.
One the guitars are quite different in feel and one who likes one may not like the other, and
Two, Gibson setups from the factory do make the guitar show poorly. (Very high action is the norm here & correspondingly the PU height and tail piece too.)
Set up is not a build quality issue as this is consistent but not in-line with today's players expectations and can easilty be changed. I have no idea why it's set like this but if you know how to set up yuor guitars you should be able to see past this.

Again the main point is PRS (While originally inspired by the LP) are designed to be different. They don't feel the same (never will) or sond the same.

Like which one you will. I love my LP guitars (especially the Trad) and wouldn't go for an PRS (even thiough they are great guitars) because I like the feel of a real LP.
Moving on.....
Quote by littlephil

Its actually quite interesting watching their factory tours, seeing how they are made.

they use cnc machines for the body carves. they kept them to the same tolerances by hand. the cnc simplified the production process. hand assembled from there from very high grade wood and patented parts.

ts - that's an artist 24 you pictured. about $4k new, so $2k would be a nice price for a used one.

a used custom 24 would only cost you about $1300-1500. Save up it's worth it.

and no doggin' mccarty's, the thicker body and increased neck angle makes up for having, oh yea, one more tone than the 5 way rotary allows for.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Aashraya
Well the SE i didnt like. They look feels odd to me. I liked how the more expensive ones the knobs are kinda scalloped in the wood. They dont stick out. Its kinda curvy. I dont know if that made sense but yea.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Paul-Allender-Electric-Guitar?sku=423368

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-25th-Anniversary-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=423596

Like those? I dont really like the way they look. I think they are a bit flat compared to the picture up there.

That's because they are flat.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by Aashraya

just so you know the picture you posted was of a artist package PRS, 2000 is a steal for that. seriously if you see a artist package PRS for under 2000 and you don't buy it, it should be a sin.
Quote by KenG
There's nothing wrong with you supporting or liking PRS as better guitars because that's personal preference. PRS may even have better averages than Gibson in the " not as nice" to " ideal" ratios too but that doesn't mean Gibson quality is crap by any means.
One the guitars are quite different in feel and one who likes one may not like the other, and
Two, Gibson setups from the factory do make the guitar show poorly. (Very high action is the norm here & correspondingly the PU height and tail piece too.)
Set up is not a build quality issue as this is consistent but not in-line with today's players expectations and can easilty be changed. I have no idea why it's set like this but if you know how to set up yuor guitars you should be able to see past this.

Again the main point is PRS (While originally inspired by the LP) are designed to be different. They don't feel the same (never will) or sond the same.

Like which one you will. I love my LP guitars (especially the Trad) and wouldn't go for an PRS (even thiough they are great guitars) because I like the feel of a real LP.

I don't agree with this one bit. The trad is an average guitar at best. A custom 24 or a Mccarty blow it away in terms of quality and feel. They are on par with gibson historics, with the historics edging out regular production prsi by only very little.
Quote by gregs1020
they use cnc machines for the body carves. they kept them to the same tolerances by hand. the cnc simplified the production process. hand assembled from there from very high grade wood and patented parts.

I know. The CNC does all the body and neck shaping, hence why its not true to say they are hand made. Thats all I was pointing out, I never said they weren't excellent instruments.
Quote by Aashraya
Haha.

What would you recommend me? I am not to fond of the price either.

I play Mostly metal like trivium, Killswitch engage, Bullet for my valentine, but i also play things like bloc party, Escape the fate, nirvana, taking back sunday, blink 182, RHCP, Jimi hendrix... and on and on.

So i need a lot of versatility.

check out an ESP Horizon NT-II with seymour duncans or an LTD mh-1000nt with duncans. i think they look really nice and feel great aswell. very versatile and fair price aswell. I love the blue and the dark sunburst ones.

i also suggest u getting a new amp. If ur considering a PRS, please dont play it through a $100 modelling amp.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Why not look at an LTD PB-500?

They look similar to PRS except they feel nicer than the SE and have SDs stuffed in...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
okay wow! while i was asleep a lot talking happend. So time to reply o_o.

Honestly, i don't care if it is machine made or hand made, as long as the guitar looks beautiful and plays great no diffrence to me.

Also ofcouse i'm getting a new amp. I'm not going to play a 2 grand guitar through a "200$" amp. I'm buying a new amp first. I'm waiting for the guy to get back in town so he can sell me his Triple rectifier.

oh before all this i was a huge fan of ESP so i had already looked at the LTD mh-1000nt & ESP Horizon NT-II. They look great, but if i were to get the ESP Horizon NT-II i would rather save couple of hundred more and just get a PRS, but the MH-1000nt is another story.

And last, the picture i posted the guitar wasn't for sale.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by AcousticMirror
I don't agree with this one bit. The trad is an average guitar at best. A custom 24 or a Mccarty blow it away in terms of quality and feel. They are on par with gibson historics, with the historics edging out regular production prsi by only very little.

That's simply your opinion. IMO the Studio is an average guitar and the Trad significantly better than it. I don't like the smaller radius on PRS necks, the combo stop bar/bridge tail pieces & master control scheme used on many of their models but that's again personal preference.
I'd also prefer a Gibson historic (R9 for eg) over a reg production PRS if I could afford one.
Moving on.....
I guess in the end it is preference. Unless something obviously has lower quality stuff, but i'm not to educated with stuff like that so i'll just leave it to you guys.

Time to save up for a PRS custom 24

and either way i wouldn't get a LP because i hate thick necks (small fingers) and also it is very heavy. The PRS is kinda heavy but not too much. Again all preference.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by KenG
That's simply your opinion. IMO the Studio is an average guitar and the Trad significantly better than it. I don't like the smaller radius on PRS necks, the combo stop bar/bridge tail pieces & master control scheme used on many of their models but that's again personal preference.
I'd also prefer a Gibson historic (R9 for eg) over a reg production PRS if I could afford one.

that's cool. the trad is a good guitar. so are most studios. I just disagree that there is a huge gap between a good studio and a traditional. The r8 is just something else entirely. You pick it up and it's everything you think a guitar should be. Honestly, it's not even my thing but it's mindblowing. I guess I would change my earlier statement. The prsi are closer in workmanship and quality to the historics. Whether they are as good I don't know.

also, I have a lp pro that I love. But, some guitars you just know it's awesomeness right when you pick it up. My lp pro doesn't have that.
Quote by thehikingdude
Any US Made PRS will always be a better buy than a similar model Gibson.

I stopped reading your post immediately after this. PRS makes great guitars, but please leave out the blanket gospel statements.

Also, +1 to the Gibson Les Paul traditionals being fantastic guitars. I got my traditional plus for $1800, but would gladly pay $3000+ if I ever had to replace it. A top notch, amazing quality, feel and tone guitar.
So, what guitars have you guys played that is perfect for you?

Best for price, quality, sound, looks everything.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
my favorite are the ones that I own and plan to keep.

I really do like my doublecut les paul but those aren't made anymore.

my number 1/2 are my prs hollowbody spruce and my anderson baritom. 3 is my anderson hollow t classic.

favorite guitar i'm not keeping is the r8. it sounds comparable if not better then my 1/2.
Quote by AcousticMirror

my number 1/2 are my prs hollowbody spruce and my anderson baritom. 3 is my anderson hollow t classic.

favorite guitar i'm not keeping is the r8. it sounds comparable if not better then my 1/2.

that gibson is very sexy :P
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by AcousticMirror

How come you're not keeping the R8? If it's a good one it must be something to hold & play! Is it a preference for the hollow bodies?
Moving on.....
Page 1 of 4