I'm thinking of buying an amp head (Either a JCM800, some Peavey or a Carvin Legacy), and I want to know how much of the tone is made up of your cab, or if certain cab/head combinations work well together. I'm assuming that the head/cab combo would work best but if I opt for a cheaper cab how much will it effect the tone?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Lots. In my opinion anyway. Different speakers have different frequency responses. Some sound brighter some sound darker. And cabinet construction is also important in terms of size and open back/closed back. More people in here would be able to shed more light than myself but for the simple answer- Cabinet selection is important.
Yeah, this is way too complicated to properly sort out in a one-sentence answer...
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
The cab wont necessarily make or break your sound, but it has a decent effect on it. I have a peavey windsor with the cab that comes with it, and i am very pleased with the sound i get from it. However, I played it through a marshall 1960 cab, and it sounded better, but in my opinion not $400 better. (or watever the price difference was). My sound was a little bit tighter and clearer.
It makes a difference, but not an extremely noticeable one. If you can afford it though, but a quality one.
It makes a considerable difference in my opinion, constuction, speaker choice, size and open back/closed back all play a crucial role in your tone. I remember once reading a thread here where a guy just tightened the screws on the back of his Mesa cab, and recorded the change, his sound improved remarkably. (At least that's how I remembered it.)

A cheaper cab (in my experience anyways) has always been hit and miss with construction, and they don't always have a good projection in a live situation, and I notice I get less definition - but I can't say for sure as I haven't had the chance to change speakers in the cheaper cabs to test wether or not it was that, or the construction itself, or a combination of the two.

Again, I believe it makes a huge difference to your tone, some speakers will sound thin, trebly and nasty, whilst others sound flabby with really bad definition, some have a really nice mid hump and others a scooped sound... choosing a cab is a really hard task, shops rarely carry the cab you're after, and rarer carrying two you want to A/B side by side - Ultimately it's your choice, I cheaped out on a cab as I had no choice, I've tried my head with various cabs and it really does make a huge difference, so I'm investing in a Mills Afterburner.

If you can, try before you buy.
Last edited by Blast For Satan at Jun 18, 2010,
Pretty much everything the post above me says.

I'd like to say that my amp with the headphone jack, sounds like absolute crap, but then again, based on what amp it is, it doesn't sound much better with the cab.

Also, pretty much everything can have effects on your tone, from your wood, to pickups, to wiring, to pedals, to your amp, to your cab to the shape of the room. Imho, I feel like the amp, effects, and pickups have the most effect on your tone, but the speakers and cab determine how well you hear that tone.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Sorry for a slight threadjack, but it is relevant:
If you were on a strict budget, is it better to skimp on the cab and buy a decent head, buy a decent cab but skimp on the head, or get an average cab with an average head. Or is it better to buy no cab at all, buy a brilliant head and caniballise an old, not-so-good amp for the cab, or any other combination you can think of?