After looking through the FAQ I didn't see anything about this.
Anyway, so about 2 and a half months ago I picked up bass guitar, found a good teacher etc. ( I wanted to learn an instrument, but everybody and their dogs plays electric, so I went with bass guitar instead )

Regardless, my Squier Jazz Bass is generally accepted as a great beginner bass, but I would personally prefer an Ibanez (mainly for aesthetics, and I hear it's a good brand, so it all owrks out )

But I figure if I'm going to get a new guitar in a few months(Christmas?), I was wondering if I should go for a 5-string guitar. I'd like to play punk/metal, so I could benefit from the 5th string. But would I be capable of handling 5 strings by that point?

tl;dr : At what point would you think somebody is good enough to play a 5-string bass?
What dyour eally n ewwd is as korg sythiunesiuer
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Imikulate
Regardless, my Squier Jazz Bass is generally accepted as a great beginner bass, but I would personally prefer an Ibanez (mainly for aesthetics, and I hear it's a good brand, so it all owrks out )

what the bass looks like is not important. it's about how it feels and how it sounds.

Quote by Imikulate

But I figure if I'm going to get a new guitar in a few months(Christmas?), I was wondering if I should go for a 5-string guitar. I'd like to play punk/metal, so I could benefit from the 5th string. But would I be capable of handling 5 strings by that point?
tl;dr : At what point would you think somebody is good enough to play a 5-string bass?

you don't need to be 'good' to play a 5 string. It's exactly the same as a four string, but you have access to 5 extra notes. No difference in difficulty at all, although the neck may be slightly thicker.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
IAsm not im being a properiaste menber of thisd forum
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
There's really no specific time to make the switch. I skipped from a 4 straight to a 6 string with no real problems. You just need to find a bass that's comfortable. One of the most important things to look at a far as comfort, and something I feel is often overlooked, is string spacing. Try to get a bass with as similar string spacing as possible to your current bass, as your hands are already adapted to play with that spacing, and will be more comfortable. Ibanez string spacing is a lot closer than Fender is, so you might want to look elsewhere. Just my 2...maybe 3 cents worth.
Quote by shinhoman
what the bass looks like is not important. it's about how it feels and how it sounds.

Of course sound is the most important, but no matter what they say, I"m sure most people secretly care about their guitars looks.
If they made the perfect bass with a Hello Kitty theme (whatever your idea of the perfect bass is, I know everyone has different preferences) , would you be willing to take it and perform in front of an audience?

Quote by shinhoman

you don't need to be 'good' to play a 5 string. It's exactly the same as a four string, but you have access to 5 extra notes. No difference in difficulty at all, although the neck may be slightly thicker.

x

Hmm, so basically, go for it?
TS, skill doesnt determine weather you need 5 or 4 strings. Heck, victor wooten plays almost exclusively on 4 strings.

But if you think a 5 string will be more comfortable, go for it.

For myself, I find Id rather have fewer notes per position and be more speedy around the neck. Other people find the opposite.
Quote by Imikulate
Hmm, so basically, go for it?

yes. if you dont like it, sell it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
If you need five strings, get a five string. If you don't then don't.

If you need five strings, then get it asap because it's better to get used to it now rather than later.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Also, I'll just say that I got my first bass (four string) in December of 2007, then I got my first 5 string that next summer. So... yeah. Just get it if you want/need it.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Quote by fatgoogle
What dyour eally n ewwd is as korg sythiunesiuer

Quote by fatgoogle
IAsm not im being a properiaste menber of thisd forum

Hey guys, I've been gone for a few months, so maybe I missed something, but has fatgoogle gone insane?
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Nah, he's drunk. Or was. I expect at this point he'll have a nasty hangover.

TS, I went from a 4 straight to a 6, and now I swear by them. And I'm GASing for a fretless 7....

ooooooohhh....

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I started out on a 5er.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Imikulate
Of course sound is the most important, but no matter what they say, I"m sure most people secretly care about their guitars looks.
If they made the perfect bass with a Hello Kitty theme (whatever your idea of the perfect bass is, I know everyone has different preferences) , would you be willing to take it and perform in front of an audience?

I would play the **** out of it even if it wasn't perfect.

GIVE ME A HELLO KITTY BASS.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Ok then, so I guess I'll grab a 5 string next time I'm in the market for a new bass.

As for 6 string, it doesn't really interest me, since the 6th is a higher string ( right?), and what I'd want is the lower notes, so 5 string suits me just fine!

Thank you all very much!
It's just like playing a 4 string, just with an extra string, you don't need to be some insane bassist to play a 5 stringer.

I say go for it, even though I hate Ibanez
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by Imikulate

Of course. It would perfectly match my guitar.

OT: It's not about skill, it's about what you're comfortable playing. I'm one of those old-school types who's just fine with a 4-string. Of course, my main (and only) bass is a huge, unwieldy, feedback-prone acoustic, dialed in to sound vaguely like a Precision, often played one-handed while I screw around with a Yamaha toy keyboard with the other. So I suppose I'm not the most representative member of this forum.
Playing a five string is no different from playing a four string. You have a few extra notes. If you started on a five string, you would think of a five string as most other bassists think of a four string. It takes very little time to adjust. I went to GC looking for a four string, found a five string, played it, and was comfortable with it within 10 minutes.
Don't see why people get so stressed over 5 strings. It's not like the extra string is in-between the A and D strings - you just have to see if you actually need it. If you do, then it'll be just getting used to a slightly thicker neck, that's it.
Quote by loudog93
you could get a six string and get a low F# for ULTRA BREAKDOWNS.

Nah, I think a 6 string would be just a bit too much for my smaller than manly hands...

5 Strings maybe at a stretch, I'll have to try it out in a store, but 6 is just extreme