So my friend was thinking of starting to play guitar and i was going to give him a hand etc and want to go around to his house to jam sometimes etc. Was thinking of just buying a 1x12 cab so i can easily fit everything into my car

(guitar, bugera head and the cab) now are there any cabs at 120w?

Or there's a blackstar cab for $200 or so i think, but it's only at 80ws

Would this make a difference at lower volumes? I doubt i'd ever turn the amp past 1 as he'll only have a vypyr or a cube.

How about a 1x12 cab for band practice or somthing? Would there be much of a difference as to a 2x12,

I really don't want anything more than a 2x12 as i have a smallish car, and i want to keep my half stack for home use only.
Nothing will happen by getting an underpowered cab as long as you don't turn it up too loud. It'll work fine.
I'd much prefer the tone from my bugera which blows away practice amps, I have a 15x cube and will probably sell it, The thing just sounds blargh.

But then if i join a band, I'd be looking at getting a new cab anyway, since my 15x cube wouldn't cut playing in a band.
Quote by BoL7z
So my friend was thinking of starting to play guitar and i was going to give him a hand etc and want to go around to his house to jam sometimes etc. Was thinking of just buying a 1x12 cab so i can easily fit everything into my car (guitar, bugera head and the cab) now are there any cabs at 120w?

you will need a 1x12 with a speaker rated for that much power. not too many come to mind, but eminence has quite a few high power speakers. EV also makes a number of 200 watt speakers that are full range.

Quote by BoL7z
Would this make a difference at lower volumes? I doubt i'd ever turn the amp past 1 as he'll only have a vypyr or a cube.

if you keep it at low volumes then you should be fine with something smaller, but there is no solid advice with how much power handling you will need for a high-powered amp at low volume.

Quote by BoL7z
How about a 1x12 cab for band practice or somthing? Would there be much of a difference as to a 2x12,

sure there are differences, lots of them. but a 1x12 cab can hold it's own just fine at band practice, but you will want to make sure you have a powerful enough speaker to pull it off, you won't be able to slip by with a low power handling speaker when you compete with a drummer. also 1x12's may need 'good placement' for projecting sound from the speaker to where you can hear it better. for example, a 1x12 on the ground will be projecting sound at you ankles and knees, you'll want the speaker more pointed toward you head to better hear it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 18, 2010,
Does the 6262 have a half-power switch? I'm pretty sure the 1990 does.

You can pull powertubes so that the 6262 is 60 watts, which should allow it to run fine with a single Vintage 30 or something.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 18, 2010,
^ gumbi hit a few, the EVM12's are nice speakers for higher gain stuff. Eminence also makes a couple of 150w speakers including the swamp thang, texas heat, and the tonker, and then 120+ watts with the man o wars, red white and blues, and the little texas.