Hey UG!

I've been beating around the bush waaayyy too long with guitar solos. Whenever a solo run comes up in a song on Guitar Pro, I just improvise and I do so in a lousy fashion. There is a time to be creative in soloing, and there is a time to learn how to solo. I want to learn one solo, completely, almost note-for-note. I was thinking of Fade To Black, but it seems out of my reach. Can you guys suggest some good song solos that I can learn to build up my solo chops? I would also be very helpful for some insight on learning those solos. As of now, my plan is to take the solo, slow it down and learn 2-3 bars at a time.

Thanks in advance UG,
The Studious Monkey
What kinda solo's do you want?

Beginner?
Intermediate?
Advanced?
Petrucci?

Edit: I'm assuming Beginner/Intermediate from what your post says.

You've never tried to play a solo at all?
Last edited by siverstorm at Jun 18, 2010,
First off iv been playing for about 4 months and the solo I could recomend Is smells like teen spirit it's really easy and doesn't hurt to learn the whole song. names matt btw
Quote by siverstorm
What kinda solo's do you want?

Beginner?
Intermediate?
Advanced?
Petrucci?

Edit: I'm assuming Beginner/Intermediate from what your post says.

You've never tried to play a solo at all?

Call me a little girl, but when I look at a tab and I see a flurry of notes, I just instinctively give up. I realize that it's very unproductive and I am trying to break a bad habit, by becoming a better player.
Another Brick in the Wall part 2

Next step, comfortably numb
Last edited by pwrmax at Jun 18, 2010,
idols and anchors by parkway drive isn't too bad. its not very heavy either, i got the solo down and ive been playing for about 6 months. so it should be in your reach
Quote by StudiousMonkey
Call me a little girl, but when I look at a tab and I see a flurry of notes, I just instinctively give up. I realize that it's very unproductive and I am trying to break a bad habit, by becoming a better player.

guess what!!! YouTube.com is your friend!
Well, what bands/kinds of music do you like?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I agree with the person that said Idols and Anchors by Parkway Drive....And the song is badass anyways so why not learn it? Five Months by Parkway Drive also has a fairly simple solo...That song is badass also...
Nothing else matters

Fade to black intro and middle solo

Master of puppets interlude

Apparently enter sandman solo is also easy.
Not sure if this is too challenging for you at this stage, but the solo from Stairway to Heaven is something every guitar player should learn at some point.
For a beginning level solo, try Nirvana's Come As You Are or Nirvana's About A Girl.
Also, the solo from the unplugged version of Clapton's Layla is a pretty good one. Not very many crazy bends, but still a solo with decent duration that sounds really nice.
ive been playing about 3 months and have learned the first solo from one by metallica. Very easy mainly just puill offs and slides
November Rain (GN'R)
Don't Cry (GN'R)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin)
Maggot Brain (Parliament) (Just for laughs )
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by fastboyslim
Not sure if this is too challenging for you at this stage, but the solo from Stairway to Heaven is something every guitar player should learn at some point.

Every electric rock guitarist, you mean

My vote goes to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. Was my first solo.
Solos I have found easy

Alice Cooper- Schools Out
Metallica- Enter Sandman
Oasis- Some might say
The Black Crowes- Hard to Handle
Led Zeppelin- The Ocean (solo 1)
Pearl Jam- Yellow Ledbetter
Wolfmother- Love Train

some of those may or may not be your style.