Well, I'm 16 years old and like to play guitar, but I just realized, what is the point? I'm not in any type of band, mostly just play to myself, and whatever theirs really no point to practicing really hard everyday :p Is this a good reason to stop?
If you don't enjoy it, give it up.

If you give it up and find yourself wanting to play again, pick it up again.

If you enjoy it enough that you want to make a career of it, there are many routes you can take in that direction.
Playing the guitar is a terrific emotional outlet, and wanting to be GOOD at it is just human nature. Besides, it's fun to be good. And you never know, maybe you'll want to start a band sometime. Or maybe you'll have a really bad day and need a non-destructive way to get rid of the negative energy.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
A good reason to stop is if you don't enjoy it. Why do people do anything in their spare time? They enjoy it. I love playing guitar, I like challenging myself and progressing and using what I learn to make my own music.
You should do what makes you happy, if guitar is becoming a chore then scale it back.
sell your guitar to someone who "gets it" then, because you clearly don't

not everything in life needs to be done in the name of achievement
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jun 18, 2010,
i'm the same way except I don't want to stop lol but I'd do whatever you feel you should do like if you don't like playing you should stop but if you like it keep going maybe try writing songs if you don't already
>_> people keep doing drugs for reasons less valid than that.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Keep on truckin'. For real though, you're only 16, I'm sure you'll be able to find a band down the line. Your practice will pay off well then. If not, just keep playing for fun unless it starts to bore you.
Are you serious? Your saying theres no point in practicing and getting good just because you can't get in a band? It should be fun sitting in your room for hours learning your favorite songs and being able to tell yourself that you accomplished something. If you dont enjoy it, then stop doing exercises like scales and stuff and just have fun playing songs from your favorite bands. This is what I did and I'll admit I probably progressed slower than I should of, but it was still fun.

And plus, who wouldn't want to tell people that you play guitar (even though that should NOT be the only reason you play of course). It's an awesome skill that people like to watch and it's even better being able to show it to people. And also, like me, your in your high school years. If you haven't realized how much the chicks like guitar players, you will soon. As long as you keep playing .
Quote by guitarocker100
Are you serious? Your saying theres no point in practicing and getting good just because you can't get in a band? It should be fun sitting in your room for hours learning your favorite songs and being able to tell yourself that you accomplished something. If you dont enjoy it, then stop doing exercises like scales and stuff and just have fun playing songs from your favorite bands. This is what I did and I'll admit I probably progressed slower than I should of, but it was still fun.

And plus, who wouldn't want to tell people that you play guitar (even though that should NOT be the only reason you play of course). It's an awesome skill that people like to watch and it's even better being able to show it to people. And also, like me, your in your high school years. If you haven't realized how much the chicks like guitar players, you will soon. As long as you keep playing .

this. do it if it is fun for you. there are plenty of benefits.. haha
Gear
OLP MetalArt --- First Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by STABxYOU
The simple solution is to trade your girlfriend for the amp, you get the amp and lower your expenses. It's win-win.
Quote by Joshua1207
Keep on truckin'. For real though, you're only 16, I'm sure you'll be able to find a band down the line. Your practice will pay off well then. If not, just keep playing for fun unless it starts to bore you.

right.... you are only 16 dude. Wait till you get to college and you see all the weak ass players that are in bands that just flat out suck, yet they are getting chicks and popular. You will wish you still played.

A band will come along. Everyone needs to pay their dues in bedroom time, however. The longer you can focus solely on your chops the better you will come out when you play in a band.

In the meantime, buy a drum machine, record, take lessons, set up a myspace and/or youtube. You can be a solo artist for a while if you have no band. Establish yourself as a player on the scene and good things will come.

Peace.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
sell your guitar to someone who "gets it" then, because you clearly don't

not everything in life needs to be done in the name of achievement

fail.

Dude, if you don't enjoy playing and think you ain't gonna' benefit, then stop. But if you're worried about being solo all the time, that'll pass man, there are thousands of people who play all sort of shit, you'll surely find people in time.
Last edited by SeriousMan at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by blue_strat
If you don't enjoy it, give it up.

If you give it up and find yourself wanting to play again, pick it up again.

If you enjoy it enough that you want to make a career of it, there are many routes you can take in that direction.

This.

It happened to me more than once, sometimes i quit and learn/try something else, something new, then a few months later i missed playing my guitar, so i play it again. Usually when i heard a very cool/nice songs that's fit my mood. It brought back my spirit to play it again.
I play guitar as a hobby and just for the fun of it..not to be in a band or have a professional music career or even attract girls(although that comes as a by-product)and you should too.dont take it seriously and dont try to learn ridiculously hard songs to impress others,just play what you enjoy playing..

If everyone started thinking in your perspective,no one will ever have hobbies in the future..just work and work,no fun at all.

then one could say whats the point of playing games?playing soccer?or listening to music?none of these things help you to achieve anything at all,but you do it just to enjoy and be happy..you gotta change your attitude,dude..
There no reason why i play the guitar. I just play for the hell of it, and I play it when i get bored.

its just like a hobbie. yenno?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
How many people go professional at playing video games? Not very many. So why do people keep playing them? Because they are fun.
This principle applies to guitar.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I got my first guitar when i was 13 and got bored of it very easily - didnt have patience to practice. (im 17 now lol)

About a year ago i picked it up again and now i play evreyday because i want to and i enjoy it.
Quote by Jpboy1994
Well, I'm 16 years old and like to play guitar, but I just realized, what is the point? I'm not in any type of band, mostly just play to myself, and whatever theirs really no point to practicing really hard everyday :p Is this a good reason to stop?

Well, you said that you like to play guitar. That is a perfectly good reason to play guitar. I would guess the vast majority of people who play guitar aren't in a band, at least not consistently or doing it professionally. A lot of people play just for fun, some of them (like me) play seriously for fun.
As you get older, you get a lot more "noise" going on in your head - worries about work, money, things you have to get done. It's REALLY important that a person has a creative outlet as they reach this stage in their life. When your life becomes only about those "noise" things, you lose being a kid and enjoying simple things in life, and become a boring middle aged fart. Guitar is one of the things that helps me keep that creative outlet.

Also, as you improve, it's gets more fun - you can do more with it, and can focus on the music more since you're not having to spend so much effort struggling with the technique side of it.