Still on the search for a new amp, now considering a JCM 800 combo. I know the 800 was king of amps in the 80's, but does the 112 combo stand up to its name. Once again I play mainly 80's hard rock and hair metal, Van Halen , Skid Row, Dokken...etc. Open for any other suggestions and opinions, Thank You.

Amps I'm considering. .(In this order)

-JCM 800 combo
-Peavey 6505+ combo
-Bugera 6262 combo
-Used 5150 combo
-Laney AOR
-Carvin X100B
The JCM800 will definitely get what you're looking for, though it may not be exactly like it's head counterpart.
buy the head and a 112 or 212 combo?

Sovtek Mig is apparently a good amp based closely on the JCM800, for about half the price, but harder to find.
I'd Suggest you try all the amps you possibly can. From what you wrote, i'd think 6505+ or Bugera would be much more suited for you're style of playing than Marshall.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Well, I have never played the combo version but I'm told that its exactly the same as the head, which I do have. The only difference besides the speakers is the faceplate is flipped, atleast thats what I've been told.

I run my POD XT Live through the effect loop on my 2205 head, and I can make it sound EXACTLY like Warren from Ratt, or Scotti from Skid Row. If I front load my TS9 I can get a good George Lynch, Eddie Van Halen sound to.

As for another amp, I would buy tyhe JCM800. However, the original 5150's are supposedly the EXACT same thing, with extra gain. It all depends on what you can find, I guess.

Good luck bro, your taste in music is awesome! I hope I helped.
Quote by Tracii Lee
Well, I have never played the combo version but I'm told that its exactly the same as the head, which I do have. The only difference besides the speakers is the faceplate is flipped, atleast thats what I've been told.

I run my POD XT Live through the effect loop on my 2205 head, and I can make it sound EXACTLY like Warren from Ratt, or Scotti from Skid Row. If I front load my TS9 I can get a good George Lynch, Eddie Van Halen sound to.

As for another amp, I would buy tyhe JCM800. However, the original 5150's are supposedly the EXACT same thing, with extra gain. It all depends on what you can find, I guess.

Good luck bro, your taste in music is awesome! I hope I helped.

Hey man thanks for the advice, sounds like you gotta pretty good setup there! Looks like we've got some very similar influences too
I love my Bugera 6262. I've got clips in my profile (mic'd with sm57).

It definitely has that "brown sound". Does cleans good too, if your into that sorta thing. It would easily handle 80's metal, aswell as some modern higher gain voiced bands, if you get into that sort of thing.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Riverratt
Hey man thanks for the advice, sounds like you gotta pretty good setup there! Looks like we've got some very similar influences too

Yeah man, I checked out your profile and we like alot of the same people! I'm glad I could help, I LOVE my JCM800. I wouldnt suggest a POD though, I'd get an ADA MP-1 or maybe a GSP-21 Legend. The best 80's sound you'll ever get is with 80's equipment, haha.
It's loud. And I mean LOUD

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Tracii Lee
Yeah man, I checked out your profile and we like alot of the same people! I'm glad I could help, I LOVE my JCM800. I wouldnt suggest a POD though, I'd get an ADA MP-1 or maybe a GSP-21 Legend. The best 80's sound you'll ever get is with 80's equipment, haha.

Yeah I would really like to get my hands on a ADA MP-1, I know Scotti Hill, Dave Sabo, Nuno Bettencourt, Vitto Bratta, Paul Gilbert and I'm sure many others used them. Would you recommend running it through the JCM800's effects loop though, or a seperate power amp?
Quote by Riverratt
Yeah I would really like to get my hands on a ADA MP-1, I know Scotti Hill, Dave Sabo, Nuno Bettencourt, Vitto Bratta, Paul Gilbert and I'm sure many others used them. Would you recommend running it through the JCM800's effects loop though, or a seperate power amp?

I always run my POD through the effects loop, but thats just my preference. If you get one, I would suggest trying both, just to be on the safe side. And yes, the ADA MP-1 was a very popular peice of equipment. In fact, I've been told that Frank and Tommy from Tesla used them exclusively and used to do magazine adds for the ADA MP-1. Not sure how true that is though.

And yeah, the later JCM800's did sound a bit different. My 2205 is from 1988. The earlier JCM800's had alot of problems though, the biggest being bleed through on the original dual-channel heads. If you listen to Cinderella's first album you can hear it on some of the songs. I just prefer the later models. They seem to be easier to come by as well, atleast for me.