Page 1 of 4
i was just curious as there is debates over 'metalcore' and 'posthardcore' pretty much being labelled the same thing, what is the difference?

to me post hardcore is - dance gavin dance, hope for a home, lower definition

and METALCORE - august burns red, devil wears prada etc..

i like both styles and all bands i said.

what do you define as post hardcore and metalcore?

thanks.

Inb4 shitstorm.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Sigh.

No, you don't seem to understand. The term "Post-hardcore" is wrongly associated with the bands you listed, just as "emo" is wrongly used to describe people with scene hair and "screamo" is wrongly used to label all music with screaming.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Metalcore is a genre that originated in the late 80's. It was a fusion genre with hardcore bands giving their music a metallic tinge. Their riffing was heavier, lyrics were often darker, albeit still extremely relevant. Good examples of this are the bands Integrity, Unbroken, Rorschach, or Dead Guy. These groups were first and foremost hardcore bands but they were heavier than their contemporaries. Check them out to get a good idea of what I mean.

Post hardcore is a vague title but still solid enough to be discerning about what is and is not allowed. The word itself suggests that it's what one does after being a hardcore group. Usually this means more experimental song structures, a focus on melody, etc. The whole "post-hardcore" thing goes back to the mid-80's with Revolution Summer bands (I would go so far as to suggest emo is a brand of post-hardcore). Some good examples of post-hardcore bands would be Quicksand (ex Gorilla Biscuits members), Fugazi (ex Minor Threat, Rites of Spring), Drive Like Jehu, or Nation of Ulysses. Post hardcore definitely does not encompass shitty pop acts that use synthesizers and wear bright colors to attract a young fan base as the original post suggested.

Nu-metalcore is how one should refer to the newest wave of (metal) bands incorporating breakdowns into their music in order to be identified with hardcore. This genre is where you get your Devil's Wearing Prada, Seasonal Red Fires, etc. The title is not meant to be derogatory, rather it's meant to distinguish from the original and new waves of metalcore which are extremely different.

That being said, this isn't how "I" define these genres, it's how anyone who knows anything about music should define them.
Post-Hardcore is essentially screamo with punk and metal elements. I think of Silverstein, A Day to Remember, Escape the Fate, LoveHateHero...

Metalcore is basically hardcore mixed with metal. However you interpret that is one to his own. I think The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice and Men, Miss May I, Our Last Night, Attack Attack!, A Static Lullaby

Deathcore is basically a fusion of metalcore, hardcore and death metal. A few bands would be like Sea of Treachery, Parkway Drive, whitechapel, Suicide Silence and Bring Me the Horizon...

I'm giving a very "in a nut shell" description and using lots of generalizations, I know, and I'm using popular newer bands because using bands where the genre originated is nice, but it's easier to compare newer bands.. haha.

Also, you can have post-hardcore and metalcore fusion bands (which generally means has electronic influences, these days). If you want to get that specific, bands like Attack Attack!, We Came as Romans, The Devil Wears Prada (some of their stuff) and I See Stars are some examples.

EDIT: I was originally thinking "Sea of Treachery," while trying to figure out where August Burns Red would go. My bad.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jun 18, 2010,
The way I think of it is the overall heaviness of the music usually.

Metalcore is usually heavier, contains breakdowns, and overall is either pretty intricate or terribly repetitive. August Burns Red, Bullet For My Valentine and As I Lay Dying are some metalcore bands that I like.

Post- Hardcore nowadays, from what my friend told me a year ago, before I knew what really good music was...
Post-Hardcore is usually what some 'emo' kids have labelled Hawthorne Heights, Taking Back Sunday, all those pop-punk bands that use like 2 words of screaming, and that's supposed to be 'post hardcore'.

But there is real Post-Hardcore, usually given to hardcore bands that are more modern I guess?
I myself consider Rise Against a hardcore band rather than a Post-Hardcore band.
Whereas say, Escape The Fate is Post-Hardcore because it has a punk-rock- hardcore ISH sound but uses modern screaming techniques and plays on the emo trend.

That's about all I really can say. That's just my opinion, I'm sure there are better definitions out there.
Quote by JxD
Metalcore is a genre that originated in the late 80's. It was a fusion genre with hardcore bands giving their music a metallic tinge. Their riffing was heavier, lyrics were often darker, albeit still extremely relevant. Good examples of this are the bands Integrity, Unbroken, Rorschach, or Dead Guy. These groups were first and foremost hardcore bands but they were heavier than their contemporaries. Check them out to get a good idea of what I mean.

Post hardcore is a vague title but still solid enough to be discerning about what is and is not allowed. The word itself suggests that it's what one does after being a hardcore group. Usually this means more experimental song structures, a focus on melody, etc. The whole "post-hardcore" thing goes back to the mid-80's with Revolution Summer bands (I would go so far as to suggest emo is a brand of post-hardcore). Some good examples of post-hardcore bands would be Quicksand (ex Gorilla Biscuits members), Fugazi (ex Minor Threat, Rites of Spring), Drive Like Jehu, or Nation of Ulysses. Post hardcore definitely does not encompass shitty pop acts that use synthesizers and wear bright colors to attract a young fan base as the original post suggested.

Nu-metalcore is how one should refer to the newest wave of (metal) bands incorporating breakdowns into their music in order to be identified with hardcore. This genre is where you get your Devil's Wearing Prada, Seasonal Red Fires, etc. The title is not meant to be derogatory, rather it's meant to distinguish from the original and new waves of metalcore which are extremely different.

That being said, this isn't how "I" define these genres, it's how anyone who knows anything about music should define them.

You almost pulled off not sounding like a dick until the last sentence. You are right though.

Post hardcore focuses on melody and unorthodox song structures while still holding certain hardcore influences. I think post and progressive kind of goes hand in hand.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Quote by JxD
If you've posted so far and aren't me or Nashawa, you're wrong. Stop listening to your friends, they're wrong too. You're perpetuating stupidity.

This. Also, don't use the word "emo" or "screamo" if you don't know what it means, which is more than likely.

Quote by NY_Football
You almost pulled off not sounding like a dick until the last sentence. You are right though.

You make that sound like a bad thing.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Post-Hardcore is essentially screamo with punk and metal elements. I think of Silverstein, A Day to Remember, Escape the Fate, LoveHateHero...

Metalcore is basically hardcore mixed with metal. However you interpret that is one to his own. I think The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice and Men, Miss May I, Our Last Night, Attack Attack!, A Static Lullaby

Deathcore is like August Burns Red and Bring Me the Horizon kind of stuff.

This is siggable.

Go mention ABR in the Deathcore thread. See how that goes.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Real screamo sucks... it bothers me when people say that the screamo i listen to is awful. I don't like screamo. Haha.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

Deathcore is basically a fusion of metalcore, hardcore and death metal. A few bands would be August Burns Red and Bring Me the Horizon...

I'm giving a very "in a nut shell" description and using lots of generalizations, I know, and I'm using popular newer bands because using bands where the genre originated is nice, but it's easier to compare newer bands.. haha.

Also, you can have post-hardcore and metalcore fusion bands (which generally means has electronic influences, these days). If you want to get that specific, bands like Attack Attack!, We Came as Romans, The Devil Wears Prada (some of their stuff) and I See Stars are some examples.

You speak like you are informed but you my friend are not. That post is full of so much stupidity its really not even funny.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
Quote by NY_FootBall49

Post hardcore focuses on melody and unorthodox song structures while still holding certain hardcore influences. I think post and progressive kind of goes hand in hand.

You didn't actually read his post, did you? You just copied, almost verbatim, JxD's description of post-hardcore.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Real screamo sucks... it bothers me when people say that the screamo i listen to is awful. I don't like screamo. Haha.

It is more likely than not that you have never heard "real screamo." Stop posting.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

And by sucks, you mean "isn't pop music i can listen to while wearing a neon v-neck"
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by JxD
This. Also, don't use the word "emo" or "screamo" if you don't know what it means, which is more than likely.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

You could be a little less abrasive I guess, but when people like rocktard post I guess you're justified.

Quote by RU Experienced?
Metalcore is a fusion of hardcore punk and metal. Older metalcore was primarily hardcore punk with metal influence (Converge, Coalesce), while more modern metalcore is metal with hardcore elements (August Burns Red, Misery Signals).

Post Hardcore is a more melodic and technical form of hardcore punk (At the Drive-In, Glassjaw).

That's how I've always understood it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Last edited by deathnote29 at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by deathnote29
Metalcore is a fusion of hardcore punk and metalcore.

Awesome.

Rest of the post was right though.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

I'm sigging this
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Quote by nashawa
Awesome.

Rest of the post was right though.

My fault. Hardcore punk and metal.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
Quote by JxD
It is more likely than not that you have never heard "real screamo." Stop posting.

No you're just fucking stupid.

I've listened to Swing Kids, Mohinder, Orchid, Blood Brothers, Ampere, Antioch Arrow and Portraits of Past, I think I know what real screamo is, thanks.

And how many of those bands did you know? Just curious.

Maybe those are too 90's for you... some more modern excuses of screamo bands would be like Senses Fail and Alexisonfire...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

I've listened to Swing Kids, Mohinder, Orchid, Blood Brothers, Ampere, Antioch Arrow and Portraits of Past, I think I know what real screamo is, thanks.

I wait for JxD's response.

Seriously, if you're trying to look cool, don't list super popular screamo bands.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

...All of them. Way to name drop the mainstays of the genre.

Despite knowing any of those bands, it doesn't make your original post any less stupid or your taste in music any better.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

Someones going get himself ripped a new one. Enjoy brah.

Quote by RU Experienced?
Quote by nashawa

I wait for JxD's response.

Seriously, if you're trying to look cool, don't list super popular screamo bands.

Oh yeah no problem buddy. It's not like one day I decided to listen to other kinds of music like a normal music appreciator would or anything.

@JxD

I'm terribly sorry for having a different taste in music than you. I will definitely start listening to better music for you.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Oh yeah no problem buddy. It's not like one day I decided to listen to other kinds of music like a normal music appreciator would or anything.

What does that have to do with anything? Your idiocy confuses me.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

You have to be ****ing joking. I contend that you are not a real person, merely a powerful search engine with a penchant for malfunctioning.

Quote by that dipshit that keeps addressing responses to me
I'm terribly sorry for having a different taste in music than you. I will definitely start listening to better music for you.

I would encourage this.
Quote by nashawa
What does that have to do with anything? Your idiocy confuses me.

It's quite simple, for any idiot. I'm shocked you didn't understand what I said, I'll dumb it down for you.

One day I decided to listen to real screamo music (because I like hearing new music, you know?). And what happens when you search that, you get most of the genre's popular bands.

And thats how I know real screamo bands.

Is that clearer?
Lol didn't mean to get people flaming each other. i must of misunderstood the meaning of it then. thanks alot though.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
It's quite simple, for any idiot. I'm shocked you didn't understand what I said, I'll dumb it down for you.

One day I decided to listen to real screamo music (because I like hearing new music, you know?). And what happens when you search that, you get most of the genre's popular bands.

And thats how I know real screamo bands.

Is that clearer?

I had said if you're trying to prove a point, don't use popular bands and try and stump someone. I didn't say "wow, you only know popular bands hahahaha". Christ almighty.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by JaxDicks
You don't have to keep knocking our intelligence. Definitely not necessary.

Oh sorry. I didn't mean to be so harsh.

BTW, Jimi Hendrix is SO death metal.
Quote by smokeysteve22
Lol didn't mean to get people flaming each other. i must of misunderstood the meaning of it then. thanks alot though.

It's a common mistake, no big deal
This was bound to happen haha, so don't feel responsible. The simplest advice I could give you is "if it sounds like At-The Drive In, it's probably post-hardcore."
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Thats kool. i mostly listen to bands like whitechapel, acacia strain, emmure etc. but this
genre thing just confuses me so much.

i know whitechapel n acacia strain etc. are deathcore. aleast i hope i am?
Page 1 of 4