I'm trying to learn YYZ by Rush and the solo entails a veritable ton of vibrato on the high E string. Now, I'm ok with the first couple frets, but I run into trouble around the 12th fret. I usually bend/vibrato (I know it's not a verb, but eh...) down, but I obviously can't do that on the high E. Whenever I try to go up, I either cause a ton of noise on the B string, can't bend it enough, or hit it at the wrong angle and wind up muting the E. This is quickly becoming very inconvenient. Does anyone have any tips?
this 'inconvienience' is how you become a better player. Learn to mute the B-string whilst bending upwards. Be bit more gentle on the vibrato, even if you are touching it, it shouldn't make too much noise. Turn down the gain a bit. And the most extreme, raise up ur action.

That should all help with the vibrato. The violin technique about is good for very subtle vibrato, unless you have a fretless guitar, then that would work extremely well.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
Learn to mute the B-string whilst bending upwards.

There it is. You can try using your right-hand's palm (Or your left-hand, if you're playing a lefty guitar.) to mute the B-string. I had similar problems with November Rain's solo until I managed to mute the B-string properly.
Quote by Riffman15
fret the note, shift your hand left and right at desired speed to alter the contour of the vibrato. This is how violin players typically do it. later.

That doesn't do much on a fretted instrument. It has a very slight effect, but not enough for a rock solo like YYZ. Violins are unfretted so it has much more effect.

TS, time to buckle down and practice your vibrato. Vibrato is probably the least-practiced aspect of electric guitar, which is sad. Practice doing vibrato with even changes in pitch and in time with the music. (Yes, that means practicing vibrato with a metronome!)
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Notkcots
I'm trying to learn YYZ by Rush and the solo entails a veritable ton of vibrato on the high E string. Now, I'm ok with the first couple frets, but I run into trouble around the 12th fret. I usually bend/vibrato (I know it's not a verb, but eh...) down, but I obviously can't do that on the high E. Whenever I try to go up, I either cause a ton of noise on the B string, can't bend it enough, or hit it at the wrong angle and wind up muting the E. This is quickly becoming very inconvenient. Does anyone have any tips?

If you're talking bends then you should be bending up, generally you bend towards the centre of the fretboard so you've actually got space to bend....so bottm 3 strings bend down, top three bend up.

For vibrato, well...that should be up and down regardless.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com