Okay, I haven't been on the Pit in forever, so I know there's probably already multiple threads on the real guitar *cough cough SQUIER cough cough*. Anyways, my brother showed me this statement from another forum that read:

Some people may find staring at RB3 while learning guitar more appealing than staring at ultimate-guitar.com reading tabs.

So, Pit, what do you think? Will you enjoy looking at tabs on UG, or attempting to read numbers flying down your screen?

IMHO, I don't think the RB3 system will work. Imagine trying to read a shred solo. Also, imagine the amount of guitar n00bs who will try to sightread that kind of stuff with no practice.

Dio- Rainbow in the Dark solo:

Damn, they'll have to do better than that with the numbers. They all obscure each other so you don't have time to read them, let alone react.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

HOLY CRAP. That looks insanely hard. To be honest though, since I'm such a Rock Band nerd, I'd more than likely rather do that, even though it is way less efficient. I'm counter-productive that way--But at least it forces more precision on me.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
I could never stare at that for hours, let alone 5 minutes. I would rather sit down with a guitar and read the tabs off the screen in practice mode.

Also, bitches be trollin'. Rockstars don't use music
The good thing about this is that the n00bs will give up when they realize they actually need to practice guitar, and will stop thinking they're awesome because they can play GH/RB.
Quote by Kevin19
IMHO, I don't think the RB3 system will work. Imagine trying to read a shred solo. Also, imagine the amount of guitar n00bs who will try to sightread that kind of stuff with no practice.

i do that at times with Guitar Pro for the first few times i try a song. its hard enough trying to follow whilst it scrolling trying it for the first time. but without guitar experience youre fücked. it should be RockBand3 (for musicians only Version)

lol plus soloing would be deadly to your eyes XD

WARNING: EYEBALLS OVERHEATING!! PLUS TURN OFF WHEN NOT ADDICTED TO GAME!

Result of playing this 2 hours straight
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Don't really think anyone would expect someone to get that first try. It's gonna be an acquired skill to read those flying numbers and you'll still have to practice. I don't see anything wrong with a system that encourages people to practice.
Quote by __Pent__
The good thing about this is that the n00bs will give up when they realize they actually need to practice guitar, and will stop thinking they're awesome because they can play GH/RB.

They'll go back to Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero Most Recent Number. The others will moev on to real musicianship. This will flop extravagantly.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

The game will surely suck. It will be way too hard, plus the fact the numbers are coming down and the neck is oriented like that is more ****ing up my mind than anything else... Which one is the low E and which one is the high E !?
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Don't really think anyone would expect someone to get that first try. It's gonna be an acquired skill to read those flying numbers and you'll still have to practice. I don't see anything wrong with a system that encourages people to practice.

I wouldn't expect anyone to read that either. Of course it encourages people to practice, but most of the people who buy the squier for the game will probably try that stuff with no practice before they attempt it.
While liking this or not is subjective, I believe that a few of ya are being a bit tough on the new mode. Whether you realize it or not, this mode is going to teach at least one person how to at least basically play guitar. Though it really is difficult to justify a $300 Squier guitar controller over lessons and a real guitar, like the original quote said, there will be some people that prefer that.

(Not that I'll be doing pro guitar. Pro Drums on a real e-drum set will satisfy me.)
Quote by GuerillaGorilla

THIIIISSS. As a generalization, people are only against this because they can't get past the fact that it's "dat fayke game fer posers." Really, that's more an inaccuracy than should have ever been perceived. Ho well! I'm personally for this. The world needs more musicians--Particularly in secluded rural areas like where I live. In a town of not even 2,000 people, it's extremely hard to find people to jam with. This might help a little. I'm not saying it's a cureall, but it may still help.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

I think I read somewhere that it will also have a normal mode where you can play with the five button controller. Or maybe that just said something about the other controller with a shitload of buttons.

Also, while it may make some people start to play guitar, it will also create just as many guitarists who only play songs from Guitar Hero / Rock Band. I think it's a cool idea, I'm just not sure how well they'll pull it off.
Last edited by __Pent__ at Jun 18, 2010,
Quote by Fred1000000
THIIIISSS. As a generalization, people are only against this because they can't get past the fact that it's "dat fayke game fer posers." Really, that's more an inaccuracy than should have ever been perceived. Ho well! I'm personally for this. The world needs more musicians--Particularly in secluded rural areas like where I live. In a town of not even 2,000 people, it's extremely hard to find people to jam with. This might help a little. I'm not saying it's a cureall, but it may still help.

Not to mention that that "other" game with the real guitar controller managed to get Clapton to convert because it would teach kids how to play.

When a game that teaches sways over a very highly regarded musician, you know you're onto something.
Quote by __Pent__
I think I read somewhere that it will also have a normal mode where you can play with the five button controller. Or maybe that just said something about the other controller with a shitload of buttons.

I'm completely sure they'll still have the original five-button mode. It'd be like taking out the cars in Grand Theft Auto if they didn't--The original 5-button plastar is borderline nostalgic for some. Including myself. They wouldn't alienate their fans by not including it.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

Quote by __Pent__

Yeah, there's the basic Rock Band format still in tact. Pro Mode (which can also be set to "Easy" so you don't boot up the game and get a number bukkake) is just an added feature for those who want to try and learn real guitar.
Quote by Fred1000000

Hey, I actually picked up the guitar because of guitar hero. I just prefer *free* tabs over buying a video game to learn the songs on it, then paying for the tabs to any songs I want to play/learn.

It will definitely get someone into guitar, I'm not against it.
Plus the rockband/GH games are fun when you're at a friends house, and they don't play guitar or something.
I remember the GH games (not sure about RB) had a Practice mode where you could play the song slowed down. I imagine this will have a similar feature.
Huh, I just found this, and reading it, it sounds pretty cool.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1098683p1.html

I'm actually glad about this, now we won't have so many idiots that are good at rockband, and think they know everything about the guitar.

And I might be good at this game from the moment I pick it up.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jun 18, 2010,
There will be no point in being able to read sight music that fast as demonstrated in that gif. At the end it all comes down to muscle memory and if the game doesn't teach you technique you can forget about playing at the harder levels.

When you learn a song off of a tab, a month after you learned it you have a hard time writing the tab down from you playing if you're asked to do it. It's all muscle memory.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Huh, I just found this, and reading it, it sounds pretty cool.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1098683p1.html

I'm actually glad about this, now we won't have so many idiots that are good at rockband, and think they know everything about the guitar.

And I might be good at this game from the moment I pick it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5De9eCH1EU

Hey, I found the video this article was talking about! Only thing I'm confused about now is what the whole "finger shape" the guy from Harmonix was talking about. I can see a wavy line near where you're supposed to hit notes change, but I'm not sure what it means.
What I'm wondering is if that guitar has decent tone. I was thinking about getting a Strat, and if this one is any good I may as well get the game.
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
Quote by Kioshi
What I'm wondering is if that guitar has decent tone. I was thinking about getting a Strat, and if this one is any good I may as well get the game.

Doubt it. They'll get the cheapest one made to keep the cost of the game low.
I imagine we'll see a rise in beginner guitarists with sub-par dynamics and phrasing.
Ohai.

Actually from Canada.
What I thought. It would be cool if there were a way we could use our own guitars, That would make it worth buying.
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
That's actually really cool. I wasn't sure how the scrolling was going to work, but that is really sweet.

Obviously you don't start out that fast, you go into practice mode and slow it down first and learn it.

I strangely would find that a lot more appealing than just tabs to be honest.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Yeah, there's the basic Rock Band format still in tact. Pro Mode (which can also be set to "Easy" so you don't boot up the game and get a number bukkake) is just an added feature for those who want to try and learn real guitar.

Number bukkake

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

At first I couldn't understand what was I watching in that GIF. As soon as I realized, I was like "holy mother of god...."
Quote by JayT44
That's actually really cool. I wasn't sure how the scrolling was going to work, but that is really sweet.

Obviously you don't start out that fast, you go into practice mode and slow it down first and learn it.

I strangely would find that a lot more appealing than just tabs to be honest.

Maybe, but I can bet my money it will make the whole learning process a lot slower and sloppier. Plus, it's very obvious (at least to me) no one will be able to sightread and play (except those real skilled ones who already know how to play guitar, are great at it, know how they work, and I don't know what the hell they are doing playing a guitar sim that is suppoused to teach you to play). That means we'll have to learn the whole song first, thus meaning: "Why the hell I'm playing this in a 50 bucks Squier guitar made by Mad Kats in RB3, and not in a real guitar?"

I don't know. I'm not very confident about it working. I just see it heading to it's doom.
Quote by Kioshi
What I thought. It would be cool if there were a way we could use our own guitars, That would make it worth buying.

This. Then for once in my life I'd be better then my friends at some form of video gaming, I'm a noob at guitar hero. That'd be cool though, me jamming with a real guitar and then they're at it with the 5 button controllers
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
What will happen with songs with different tunings?

And songs that go above the 21st fret?
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...