Been lurking for a while, first post.

I've been 'playing' guitar for about two months, but have little to show for it. My problem is that most tabs will tell me the chords to play, but as far as strumming goes I'm generally left hanging.

I can play most open chords, plus a barre chord or two, and can get most strumming patterns down after a bit of practice. So what I'm asking for from you(the viewer) is to recommend me a tab and if possible tell me the strumming pattern. I'm looking for something without too many chords, and hopefully a rather simple progression.

Basically I've progressed as far as I want too without actually being able to play anything, that's got to change.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Cheers,
Daniel
Thanks,
I'll look into it. People have told me just listen to the song to figure out the strumming pattern, problem is I have a really hard time figuring it out. Maybe I'm just being lazy.
Check out "rockongoodpeople" on YouTube for beginner strum videos. The guy will show you a couple strum patterns that are very common, how to learn them, an some chord progressions using those patterns. GREAT lessons, about 10 minutes in length.
Hi there.

I've been playing about 18 months now and can remember what its like at the very beggining.
My brother is rather good and his bit of advice to me here was just to try play things slowly to start.

Try find a song with a regular strumming pattern, not many chords and play it slowly

Do you like QOTSA? Try the song 'Long slow goodbye'. Its a lovely little tune with only a few chords (E, G, D and C) and a regular pattern. Check it out.

Remember that Rome was not built in a day and go slow mate. Then suddenly it will all come together!

Good luck
Here is a simple strum pattern that works with most songs if you are having trouble
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
D__D u D__D u

D means down strum u means up strum 1234 are the whole beats and the + is the off beat
Last edited by dIRV at Jun 19, 2010,