I just bought a steinberger with SSH configuration because the HSH was backordered, but they ship the same day. I was wondering which would sound better for a shred guitarist who plays in a pretty metal band yet one who is looking for a lot of versatility. Im swapping pups anyhow, so anything flies, I just want opinions
If it is attatched to an amp and doesnt go shred...what...what the hell is it?? Eww..
Get a humbucker then install a push/pull pot to split the coils.

/thread
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Already have that in my other guitar, and have only liked the sound clean, i was thinking about trying a true single coil, especially since so many players i like use them, and i wanted to try something different, but i dont want it to disappoint me, because there is no going back
If it is attatched to an amp and doesnt go shred...what...what the hell is it?? Eww..
Quote by Merciless_Nasty
Already have that in my other guitar, and have only liked the sound clean, i was thinking about trying a true single coil, especially since so many players i like use them, and i wanted to try something different, but i dont want it to disappoint me, because there is no going back

True single coils aren't going to be sufficient for metal though.
That very true....my main axe is H-H with a SD full shred and a Bill Lawrence XL500 and is coil split, and i love the tone on it. The steinberger is more of a backup/travel/ practice anywhere type guitar. I'm more looking to accommodate cleaner shredding than metal to be honest. and I play lead, so its not necessarily imperative that its brutal crushing metal anyway. My amp has amazing distortion to boot, so maybe I'm trying to be talked out of a single coil lol?
Also take into consideration some humbuckers are better suited for splitting than others. They usually have something on the site telling you whether or not pup sounds good split

Thats true, I'm still really indecisive. Theres a big part of me that wants that Malmsteen/ Joe Stump/etc etc etc tone at the neck because I admire it. What about bare knuckle pickups single coils? Can't they do metal and single coil tones simultaneously?
You can't really find any pickup that can change from heavy humbucker type distortion to single coil clean without it splitting

I meant the single coils. look up the trilogy suites by bare knuckles. I think I'm going to try them, just to be different lol....btw, a little off topic, but for this steinberger, will it go to drop d tuning without messing with my intonation?
Quote by Merciless_Nasty
Thats true, I'm still really indecisive. Theres a big part of me that wants that Malmsteen/ Joe Stump/etc etc etc tone at the neck because I admire it. What about bare knuckle pickups single coils? Can't they do metal and single coil tones simultaneously?
I think Malmsteen uses stacked coils, if memory serves me right.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
he used dimarzio yjms(duncan YJM fury's now), they're low output, very low, and they're stacked.
You can adjust the innotation at each saddle quite easily. From E to drop D it shouldnt throw off innotation that much.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
My thoughts: Buy the SSH, see if you like the single coil, if not, get either a single coil sized hum or just re-route if for a humbucker.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA