Ok so lately i've been getting into more technical metal like KSE and alternative stuff like early Thrice and I am realising that my Les Paul isn't gonna cut it for these styles. I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to either an Ibanez RGA72TQM or a Schecter Hellraiser C-1

I did a search and found one or two threads on these guitars but didn't exactly have a lot of good info or opinions. I've been playing for years now but am pretty new to leads, shred and technical playing etc as I have almost exclusively played rock and punk up until now. My real question is which of these will be better for learning KSE style stuff? I will most likely swap out the pups so the main thing i'm interested in is the neck, comfort of playing, quality of woods etc. I'm open to other suggestions up to about AUD $2000 as well so if you know of a model that will be better please tell!

Personally i'm leaning towards the Ibanez.
Can't say much about the Ibanez, but I have played the C-1. Schecters are generally good quality wood, but their necks are a bit on the beefer side. Personally, I love this. Ibanez necks are thinner and 'faster' and generally a lot more people prefer it. So its more on personal comforts. I suggest you give both a try.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I love ibanez but the Schecter has an OFR (assuming your going for that model) and decent active pickups against the RGs low end FR and low end stock pickups, the neck will be better probably but overall the Schecter wins in my book.

And the Schecter will be better straight off the shelf for KSE stuff although I can't imagine much better than your epi looking at your sig.
I have a Schecter C-1 Elite and I love it. I would recommend the C-1, they just really stand out to me. but I haven't played an Ibanez so I'm being kind of bias on this one.
I've always heard that Ibanez have AMAZING necks and "feel" I guess. Schecters just look so damn awesome though, and I've heard they have a great metal tone. If I were you, I would pick the Ibanez.
I have no knowledge of the Schecter (I've never played one). But I have a similar version of the Ibanez guitar you are looking at (I have the RG4EXFM1). It's the same wood and neck style. I personally love it. The neck plays great, it's nice and thin and perfect for moving around quickly. It sounds amazing too. It's my baby and I love it.

That's just my $0.02
Thanks guys. I have a feeling that the Ibanez neck may feel better also, I have played the C-1 which I liked very much but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. Either one I will be swapping out the pups and throwing in some BKP's of some sort I mainly want a good mid level guitar that I can learn to play this stuff on that will handle drop tunings as well.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Thanks guys. I have a feeling that the Ibanez neck may feel better also, I have played the C-1 which I liked very much but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. Either one I will be swapping out the pups and throwing in some BKP's of some sort I mainly want a good mid level guitar that I can learn to play this stuff on that will handle drop tunings as well.

Then get and ibanez, but not one with a floyd, get a fixed bridge unless you can get a prestige RG or an S.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Then get and ibanez, but not one with a floyd, get a fixed bridge unless you can get a prestige RG or an S.

Yea i'm not big on whammys anyway i'd love a Prestige but I can't really justify spending the extra money on one at the moment.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Yea i'm not big on whammys anyway i'd love a Prestige but I can't really justify spending the extra money on one at the moment.

Get an Ibanez RG321 and throw in some BKPs. Or any other fixed bridge RG the 321 is just the cheapest.
There is no point dropping a load of money on an EMG equipped guitar if your just gonna throw in better pickups.
I may be a little late on this one, don't count out the Ibanez S. It has great tone and a pickup change from the stock ibanez will make it scream. I have an S prestige model as well as a Schecter c-1 hellraiser fr. I like the hellraiser, but the Ibanez is my baby. Don't let the thin body of the S throw you, it's mahogany so it sounds great, play it unplugged first and you will understand. Also it gets you away from the poor floyds on some of the RGs and into the ZPS trem that is awesome. Check it out before you get an RG.
Quote by grim1
I may be a little late on this one, don't count out the Ibanez S. It has great tone and a pickup change from the stock ibanez will make it scream. I have an S prestige model as well as a Schecter c-1 hellraiser fr. I like the hellraiser, but the Ibanez is my baby. Don't let the thin body of the S throw you, it's mahogany so it sounds great, play it unplugged first and you will understand. Also it gets you away from the poor floyds on some of the RGs and into the ZPS trem that is awesome. Check it out before you get an RG.

Yea i've always admired the S series i'm going to be playing extensively before I make a decision and they are in the list to check out
I prefer the feel and look of the schecter but i dislike the EMG's...so i guess it's all preference....

and thank you for the links, christ.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Schecter is interesting - their necks feel similar to Fender but in terms of speed they're comparable to Ibanez and Jackson. The difference is that those two make my hands cramp while schecters just feel... right somehow. That said it's a matter of personal preference. Ibanez is definitely thinner and if that's what you want then get that. However, don't get an Ibanez with an Edge 3. Get an S series (they're relatively cheap), swap out the pickups, and don't look back. On the other hand, if you swing towards Schecter don't get a hellraiser unless you want to keep the EMG's. The Blackjack ATX line has Seymour Duncan Blackouts, which I happen to prefer. If you want to swap pickups anyway, get an Omen Extreme or a Damien. Those are both bolt on necks which avoid the Hellraiser's notoriously high-gloss feel and are cheap enough to allow you to drop in a set of Bareknuckles and spend around the same as you would have on a hellraiser. If you're willing to go used I highly recommend what I feel is Schecter's best bolt on: the Gryphon. Maybe it's just that the one I have has mojo but that thing is a shred machine.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Schecter is interesting - their necks feel similar to Fender but in terms of speed they're comparable to Ibanez and Jackson. The difference is that those two make my hands cramp while schecters just feel... right somehow. That said it's a matter of personal preference. Ibanez is definitely thinner and if that's what you want then get that. However, don't get an Ibanez with an Edge 3. Get an S series (they're relatively cheap), swap out the pickups, and don't look back. On the other hand, if you swing towards Schecter don't get a hellraiser unless you want to keep the EMG's. The Blackjack ATX line has Seymour Duncan Blackouts, which I happen to prefer. If you want to swap pickups anyway, get an Omen Extreme or a Damien. Those are both bolt on necks which avoid the Hellraiser's notoriously high-gloss feel and are cheap enough to allow you to drop in a set of Bareknuckles and spend around the same as you would have on a hellraiser. If you're willing to go used I highly recommend what I feel is Schecter's best bolt on: the Gryphon. Maybe it's just that the one I have has mojo but that thing is a shred machine.

Yeah the main thing that turns me away from Schecter is the actives if they made a C-1 with passives i'd be all over it
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Yeah the main thing that turns me away from Schecter is the actives if they made a C-1 with passives i'd be all over it

The C1 standard and custom still come with passive pickups.
neck thickness should never be related to speed, if u have big hands u should have just an ez time going up and down a schecter's neck as an ibanezes, in fact i have an easier time going across my schecter's fretboard compared to my ibanez, i think its cuz my hands get cramped under that tiny thing
Eh.
Quote by jpnyc
The C1 standard and custom still come with passive pickups.

Yea it's really hard to get them in Australia so hard I didn't even know they existed until now

EDIT: The C-1 Custom looks awesome
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by butterfingers30
I have a Schecter C-1 Elite and I love it. I would recommend the C-1, they just really stand out to me. but I haven't played an Ibanez so I'm being kind of bias on this one.

From all the Schecters I've played vs Ibanez's I've played, I'd say a Schecter is a better fit.

Plus I finally own my first Schecter as of two days ago

Owned 4 Ibanez guitars already.. RG350, a GIO, Exotic Wood acoustic, and AGS73B semihollow.. Not impressed with RG. Obviously GIO was crap, acoustic was awesome, and if I played styles meant for the Semihollow, it'd be fantastic. But in the styles of metal and such with RG's and Prestige guitars, Schecter seems way better in my book..
Ok so i've narrowed it down to 3 guitars:

Schecter C-1 Custom or Standard
Ibanez RG1550MZ Prestige
Jackson Dinky Pro DK2M

It's really weird because in the past I hated Ibanez and Jackson guitars with a passion but now I find them so attractive it's funny how your tastes can change so quickly

Thanks for all the help guys i'll be playing the Jackson and Ibanez when I can and making a decision
I play both Schecters and Ibanez's, personally I'm more a fan of Schecter and the C-1 is a great guitar!
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
as of todays models, even though they play a bit nicer, although not quite as extreme in difference as some ppl think, I would not take an Ibanez over a schecter. Price to quality ratio by far in schecters favor, and sound in schecters favor. Ibanez still make a decent guitar, but the prices seemed to raise, and quality fell off a bit. Now if you can find an old school Ibanez I'd say it would come down to playing both and seeing your preferences. They were great back when I was first learning to play.
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Ibanez RG1550MZ Prestige
Jackson Dinky Pro DK2M

It's really weird because in the past I hated Ibanez and Jackson guitars with a passion but now I find them so attractive it's funny how your tastes can change so quickly

Thanks for all the help guys i'll be playing the Jackson and Ibanez when I can and making a decision

Personally, my opinion, it would be a toss up towards the schecter and the jackson.
Get the schecter, you won't regret it.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
what the *uck?

schecter vs ibanez PRESTIGE and the schecter is better?

no contest,ihands down ibanez is the best guitar on that list..no matter what all the schecter fanboys will tell you
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I agree the Schecter is nice and probably the best looking but I am still thinking the Ibanez will play better

it has better hardware,the tremolo is one of the best trems out there(although I dont like it)and the overall quality and finish is better than schecters,their QC is better and the chance of getting a lemon is very low.but the pickups arent that good and they look pretty simple and plain..buts thats to make it affordable

+the neck finishing is much better than the schecter..thats where prestiges stand out..
buy the Schecter, they are very good for their prices.I have a Demon FR and i'm very happy with it.
I wouldn't be so quick to say Schecter has better quality at lower prices... Their "Original Floyd Rose" bridges are made in Asia, and I know someone who had a part break not long after getting his C-1 Hellraiser. I also saw pictures of someone who stripped his Schecter to refinish it, only to find a huge knot in the wood.

Sure they make their guitars look nice and sound good on paper, but I think that's all Schecter does. The necks feel chunky (which some people prefer, but I'm an Ibanez/thin neck guy) and I hate the gloss finish on the Hellraiser series necks. In fact, I prefer my friend's Schecter Omen's neck over a Hellraiser.

My advice is, as usual, to look for something used. Understandably the market where you live isn't as great for finding a good, used instrument, but I scoured craigslist and Guitar Center's used section for months before I found the perfect guitar.

I ended up snagging a used RG570 in near-mint condition (only one small, unnoticeable scratch on the corner of the body) for $380 from Guitar Center of all places. It's got the Original Edge bridge which is only recently a feature on some of the new 2010 Prestige models (costing upwards of $1000).

Basically, I can't stress enough how looking for a used guitar can be so worth it when you find something great. The trick is to wait until you find something perfect.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I wouldn't be so quick to say Schecter has better quality at lower prices... Their "Original Floyd Rose" bridges are made in Asia, and I know someone who had a part break not long after getting his C-1 Hellraiser. I also saw pictures of someone who stripped his Schecter to refinish it, only to find a huge knot in the wood.

Sure they make their guitars look nice and sound good on paper, but I think that's all Schecter does. The necks feel chunky (which some people prefer, but I'm an Ibanez/thin neck guy) and I hate the gloss finish on the Hellraiser series necks. In fact, I prefer my friend's Schecter Omen's neck over a Hellraiser.

My advice is, as usual, to look for something used. Understandably the market where you live isn't as great for finding a good, used instrument, but I scoured craigslist and Guitar Center's used section for months before I found the perfect guitar.

I ended up snagging a used RG570 in near-mint condition (only one small, unnoticeable scratch on the corner of the body) for $380 from Guitar Center of all places. It's got the Original Edge bridge which is only recently a feature on some of the new 2010 Prestige models (costing upwards of $1000).

Basically, I can't stress enough how looking for a used guitar can be so worth it when you find something great. The trick is to wait until you find something perfect.

can't really judge on a couple of guitars. all the consumer ratings i've seen researching schecters have shown people happy or at least satisfied with their schecters. i have 2, both for quite awhile now, with no problems. the necks are not as bad as made out to be on some top shelf schecters, but definitely nowhere near as slim as an ibanez.
well that being said good deal on the used ibanez. i ust managed to get a dk2 in eerie dess off ebay for 355
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Ibanez RG1550MZ Prestige
Jackson Dinky Pro DK2M

The ibanez prestige kicks both of those guitars in the balls. Wipe the other two beginner/intermediate guitars off the list and get the ibanez which will last you for life.