Page 1 of 6
Hey I'm trying to find some new bands, but lately I haven't been able to find any cool bands in this genre, forcing me to find new bands in alternate genres.

Some bands I like (so the recommended bands are hopefully similar) are Protest the Hero, The Fall of Troy, Between the Buried and Me, SikTh, Today I Caught the Plague, and alexisonfire.

So please help my find new bands in this genre, so I don't have to just listen to Minus the Bear, This Town Needs Guns and other tech indie stuff to fill my new music void!

Also keep in mind, I generally HATE typical hardcore bands (the ones with the br00tal screamer and chug chug chug every song) and even bands that have flashes of ability (August Burns Red, Misery Signals) just don't quite do it for me, so keep that in mind with your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Quote by Thumbyy
Also keep in mind, I generally HATE typical hardcore bands (the ones with the br00tal screamer and chug chug chug every song) and even bands that have flashes of ability (August Burns Red, Misery Signals) just don't quite do it for me, so keep that in mind with your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

this will get you flamed
but i rec to you
psyopus
tony danza tapdance extravaganza
number 12 looks like you
mammoth grinder
MF DOOM
lye by mistake
ion dissonance
fellsilent
yea that's enough. also, rec thread. top of the page.
Quote by Thumbyy

So please help my find new bands in this genre, so I don't have to just listen to Minus the Bear, This Town Needs Guns and other tech indie stuff to fill my new music void!

Also keep in mind, I generally HATE typical hardcore bands (the ones with the br00tal screamer and chug chug chug every song)

How can you be cool enough to listen to This Town, but still be dumb enough to think that's what "typical hardcore" is? I call robot. You're a robot, aren't you?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by punkforlife93
Here's a few of my favorites.

Here

Here

and

Here

Hope you find the links useful.

I checked that thing, it lumps together a lot of bands that I don't think should be related at all. TDWP in the same category as PtH? We all know that isn't right.
Quote by nashawa
How can you be cool enough to listen to This Town, but still be dumb enough to think that's what "typical hardcore" is? I call robot. You're a robot, aren't you?

Sorry, I'm not an expert on hardcore I just know I dislike that sound. I find it funny how I'm on here because I'm pretty sure I hate legit hardcore music, but the bands I do like are in a sub genre of hardcore so I guess I must like some of it. Also you are correct, I am a robot
Quote by Thumbyy
I checked that thing, it lumps together a lot of bands that I don't think should be related at all. TDWP in the same category as PtH? We all know that isn't right.

It's a link to the recommendation thread. That means that this question belongs in there. Not in a thread of its own, like the hundreds of other threads we get in this forum asking about recs.

Robot?

EDIT: OH SHI-
Last edited by punkforlife93 at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by UntoExistence
this will get you flamed
but i rec to you
psyopus
tony danza tapdance extravaganza
number 12 looks like you
mammoth grinder
MF DOOM
lye by mistake
ion dissonance
fellsilent
yea that's enough. also, rec thread. top of the page.

Lol the ones there I haven't heard before are Mammoth Grinder, MF DOOM, and Lye by Mistake.

Maybe there's no hope for me, I don't really like Grindcore elements that much and I'm not that into the Meshuggah sound. Basically I like good melodic guitar in the background and a vocalist that has talent at both singing and screaming. Maybe I've found every decent band that does that shit?

Anyway, I'll stop using this thread and just use the recommend thread. Maybe there's a diamond in the rough yet :P
Quote by Thumbyy
Sorry, I'm not an expert on hardcore I just know I dislike that sound. I find it funny how I'm on here because I'm pretty sure I hate legit hardcore music, but the bands I do like are in a sub genre of hardcore so I guess I must like some of it. Also you are correct, I am a robot

No, you... well... what is this?

THAT sound is a mainstay in generic metalcore. "legit hardcore" as you put it doesn't have those elements at all. This is a legit hardcore band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cId9hgq1Lw
Quote by Thumbyy
Lol the ones there I haven't heard before are Mammoth Grinder, MF DOOM, and Lye by Mistake.

Maybe there's no hope for me, I don't really like Grindcore elements that much and I'm not that into the Meshuggah sound. Basically I like good melodic guitar in the background and a vocalist that has talent at both singing and screaming. Maybe I've found every decent band that does that shit?

Holy hell dude. You REALLY don't know what you're talking about. None of those bands have "grindcore elements".
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Jun 19, 2010,
Recommendation thread RARARARAR

Also try La Dispute. Not like tech metal or anything but it's well constructed and faintly reminds me of fall of troy.
Quote by Thumbyy

Anyway, I'll stop using this thread and just use the recommend thread. Maybe there's a diamond in the rough yet :P

La Dispute might be along those lines, as someone already posted...
Quote by punkforlife93
La Dispute might be along those lines, as someone already posted...
Something tells me he won't like them though.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
No, you... well... what is this?

THAT sound is a mainstay in generic metalcore. "legit hardcore" as you put it doesn't have those elements at all. This is a legit hardcore band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cId9hgq1Lw

Holy hell dude. You REALLY don't know what you're talking about. None of those bands have "grindcore elements".

Ok master Gengar, I'll fix it for you. I dislike those really punk sounding bands, I dislike the chug chug scream brootalzzz bands, I dislike basically everything but the ones doing the stuff I described in an earlier post. Please educate me on what grindcore is then oh holy master of everything hxc. I know a lot of people mention #12 as having those elements, maybe they're/we're all wrong either way the sound I'm talking about is easy to recognize.
Quote by nashawa
Something tells me he won't like them though.

Whether I like a suggestion or not, I appreciate people taking the time to try and help me out, especially when I obviously n00bed it up and made an unnecessary thread.
Quote by Thumbyy
Ok master Gengar, I'll fix it for you. I dislike those really punk sounding bands, I dislike the chug chug scream brootalzzz bands, I dislike basically everything but the ones doing the stuff I described in an earlier post. Please educate me on what grindcore is then oh holy master of everything hxc. I know a lot of people mention #12 as having those elements, maybe they're/we're all wrong either way the sound I'm talking about is easy to recognize.

This is grindcore, and no, I don't expect you to like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh4Fbc-Kmc&feature=related

Those bands often get mislabeled as grind of some sort because they're incredibly dissonant and use weird time signatures, which is weird, because neither is a particularly determinant feature in what makes something grindcore.

And seriously, don't be a smart-ass. If you actually want to learn, that's absolutely awesome.

And here's what I got from your post: you want a band that sounds exactly like TFOT, nothing with a heavier punk influence, and nothing with a heavier metal influence. Just listen to TFOT then.

Actually no. Check out Journal. Good band.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by UntoExistence
MF DOOM

.....what?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Did you sneak that one in just to see if he'd actually try all your recs?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by nashawa
This is grindcore, and no, I don't expect you to like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh4Fbc-Kmc&feature=related

Those bands often get mislabeled as grind of some sort because they're incredibly dissonant and use weird time signatures, which is weird, because neither is a particularly determinant feature in what makes something grindcore.

And seriously, don't be a smart-ass. If you actually want to learn, that's absolutely awesome.

And here's what I got from your post: you want a band that sounds exactly like TFOT, nothing with a heavier punk influence, and nothing with a heavier metal influence. Just listen to TFOT then.

Actually no. Check out Journal. Good band.

I think there's a decent spectrum of sounds derived from the bands I listed. I don't just like The Fall of Troy, basically I just want it to be mostly pleasant to the ear. So a band busting out blast beats while someone is doing harsh as **** screaming isn't what I want. But I also respect/enjoy people putting some technical virtuosity into the music. So basically if a band has (or doesn't have) 3 things, there's a good chance I'll like them.

1.) Technical/Melodic guitar playing (the odd breakdown/dissonant part is ok too though)

2.) A singer that doesn't sound like he's just trying to be as hxc as possible. (A good example of a band ruined by this foe is Fall in Archea- look them up if you haven't heard them.) Also must be able to sing (I kinda prefer if the band is mostly singing driven actually.)

3.) Doesn't attempt to have hxc breakdowns every song, doesn't attempt to sound really dissonant most songs (a band like Botch I can enjoy though, despite their dissonance) and doesn't have a bunch of deathy elements (BtBaM kinda makes up for theirs with their other melodic parts though.)
Quote by UntoExistence
hehehe.......MF DOOM

Yeah that one was kinda o.O

Decent troll I suppose.
Like I said, check out Journal. If you like BTBAM, you'll like them.

You listed AOF though, I mean, talk about "one of these things is not like the other." That makes things confusing when it comes to picking something out. They're reeeeeally not technical.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Also can you name a song by Journal? They're hard to YouTube with that band name lol.
^ Myspace
Quote by Thumbyy

New user title nash?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by nashawa
Like I said, check out Journal. If you like BTBAM, you'll like them.

You listed AOF though, I mean, talk about "one of these things is not like the other." That makes things confusing when it comes to picking something out. They're reeeeeally not technical.

Yeah AOF aren't technical you're right, I like them partially cause I'm Canadian lol, but they do have some good melodic backing guitar and Dallas is an amazing singer (which contrasts nicely with George's screaming.)

Overall ignore that suggestion though I guess lol.
Quote by Thumbyy
Yeah AOF aren't technical you're right, I like them partially cause I'm Canadian lol, but they do have some good melodic backing guitar and Dallas is an amazing singer (which contrasts nicely with George's screaming.)

Overall ignore that suggestion though I guess lol.

Hah, that's a silly reason to like a band, but whatever floats your boat I guess. But if you're looking for stuff like that, there is a ton of Canadian talent out there right now (that I'm sure you already know of).
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
Hah, that's a silly reason to like a band, but whatever floats your boat I guess. But if you're looking for stuff like that, there is a ton of Canadian talent out there right now (that I'm sure you already know of).

It's an awesome reason to like CURSED.
Well I guess, but I don't like Cursed because I'm Canadian, I just like them.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa

I was kinda joking when I said that lol. Song by Journal???
Quote by nashawa

I know. I was just looking for ways to plug them. Been on a Chris Colohan binge since March I think.
Quote by UltimateDud
Architects, The Bride, Parkway Drive? They're my top three anyway.

Architects is in the same tier as Misery Signals for me- almost but not quite.

I ****ing hate Parkway Drive hahahaha, to call them technical metalcore is kind of a joke.
Quote by romencer17
Did you sneak that one in just to see if he'd actually try all your recs?

i was giving pretty ridiculous recs to begin but i figured why the hell not
Quote by Thumbyy

I ****ing hate Parkway Drive hahahaha, to call them technical metalcore is kind of a joke.
Well, we agree on something at least.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I was going to suggest a band but you had to go and diss ABR...so no.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
^+1.

Also, how does liking Alexisonfire because they're Canadian make sense but you don't like Misery Signals even though they're Canadian, melodic, and definitely more complex?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT