I play alt/indie rock, more specifically rx bandits, circa survive, at the drive-in. Recently I've been getting into hardcore punk. My budget is roughly $400-500 excluding the cabinet.
Quote by Levi79
A valveking, its 100 watt but will for sure suit your needs and price range

Only if:

- he goes used
- he gets an EQ pedal/rack EQ, and tubes down the line

Seriously, the VK drive is pretty terrible without at least an EQ pedal, IMO.

OP, you have a ton of options:

- Peavey Classic 30 or 50, VTM, XXX, Ultra Plus, Butcher, Vypyr Tube
- Laney AOR or VC30/VC50, TT50, LC30/50, GH100, VH100
- Sovtek MIG
- Crate V series, Vintage Club series, Palomino, Palomino V, Crate Blue Voodoo
- Egnater Tweaker, Blackstar HT-20, Hayden MoFo, Jet City Amps JCA20

And non-tube options that are still worthy of consideration:

- Line 6 Flextone, Vetta II
- Ampeg VH140c, SS140c
- Crate GT3500H, GX130c
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i know i know i rec' too much but check into the Vypyr 120

will you be gigging, what cab do you have, are you opposed to combos, what is you closest city, etc ???!!

I live around Boston, MA. Ihave a strong prejudice against modeling amps, even if they are tube ha. I plan on gigging and am actively searching for a band but I am also living at a college hence the low wattage preference. I am opposed to combos in case I decide to switch up heads. I was thinking about getting the valveking head but i figured it would be way to loud to play on campus.

Quote by Raijouta

OP, you have a ton of options:

- Peavey Classic 30 or 50, VTM, XXX, Ultra Plus, Butcher, Vypyr Tube
- Laney AOR or VC30/VC50, TT50, LC30/50, GH100, VH100
- Sovtek MIG
- Crate V series, Vintage Club series, Palomino, Palomino V, Crate Blue Voodoo
- Egnater Tweaker, Blackstar HT-20, Hayden MoFo, Jet City Amps JCA20

The Sovtek Mig 50 would be ideal but a buddy of mine already has one and i don't want to be a copy cat. And I want a tube amp that has enough gain to basically do metal. Ha i hate being picky.
Last edited by herehere at Jun 20, 2010,
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jun 20, 2010,
^ I dunno man, the Sovteks are getting hard to find, and I've heard they are very good. I wouldn't limit yourself to certain amps because you don't want to be a copy cat. I mean, if a good deal on a Mig comes your way don't pass it off, you'll regret it later, but if you're set on something else by all means go for it.

FYI there are a few different generations of Migs, Mig 50s, Mig 60s, Mig 100s, and various versions of each look slightly different. Plus, nothing is cooler than being Made in Russia.
yeah - hit up craigslist

all of those amps will be loud. 30 watts is loud. If you only use a few effects and one patch the Vypyr is still a viable option. Plus, it has a headphone jack. Just sayin,

Otherwise maybe look at the Jet City amps too and the Egnater Tweaker and Blackstar stuff.
Quote by herehere
I am also living at a college hence the low wattage preference.

haha 30-50w tube is like... loud as ****ing hell. i mean, really thats about as loud as you can buy. sure there's 100-200w heads out there, but the volume increase is pretty negligible. especially cause you'll never be able to turn it up high enough to get the little extra juice they have.

i have a 5w tube amp, and theres no way i could even put it at half volume in a college environment.
Could look into finding a used Peavey VTM too, I believe there is a 60 watt version too, but the difference in wattage from some of the "bigger" amps isn't much, really only a little extra cream and a little less balls, at gigging volume.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."