First off i'm not asking HOW TO, there are already enough of those threads as it is

For me, I'm trying to learn in order to improvise better and sight read

Other than this are there any really benefitial reasons of completing such a repatative
and sometimes tedious task
Well music is made out of notes, and if you don't know where they are on your instrument, you've got a handicap I think.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by bender424
Well music is made out of notes, and if you don't know where they are on your instrument, you've got a handicap I think.

Exactly.
I need you to be awesome, can you be awesome for me?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
WHY learn alphabet?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Hernandez93
First off i'm not asking HOW TO, there are already enough of those threads as it is

Other than this are there any really benefitial reasons of completing such a repatative

It depends on how serious you are about learning music in general...

If your happy at your present level of playing...stay there...

If you want to grow beyond that..you will have to dig in and work at it

The rewards are worth the effort...and beyond

play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
WHY learn alphabet?

That's a good analogy. You don't look at the word "play" and think "P-L-A-Y, that spells play!" You just know it right away, but that wouldn't be possible if you didn't know the alphabet in the first place.
You would expect a drummer to know where his snare drum or his crash cymbal was, as you'd expect a guitarist to know where an A note and an E note were.
you mentioned that you wanted to learn to improvise and to sight-read; mastery of the fretboard is pretty much essential to such tasks.

Not that it's necessary to be a decent performer or songwriter; thousands of musicians have been wildly successful rarely moving beyond simple first-position chords.
All depends what you want.
Quote by pwrmax
That's a good analogy. You don't look at the word "play" and think "P-L-A-Y, that spells play!" You just know it right away, but that wouldn't be possible if you didn't know the alphabet in the first place.

I actually think it's a pretty bad one. To get by in life(other than as a hermit pretty much) you have to know the alphabet. If you don't know the locations of the notes you can still play, you can still make music, you can still have fun, you can still play with other people. Granted it will be more tedious and at times very annoying, but it's doable. You can talk without knowing the alphabet but you can't be self reliant; you can with guitar. You can stumble along finding what strings and frets sound right and never know what notes they are.
Perhaps I've over thought this but I stand by what I said; that's not a very good analogy for this.

What Bender said is probably the best you'll find unless you're an over-thinker.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
I actually think it's a pretty bad one. To get by in life(other than as a hermit pretty much) you have to know the alphabet. If you don't know the locations of the notes you can still play, you can still make music, you can still have fun, you can still play with other people. Granted it will be more tedious and at times very annoying, but it's doable. You can talk without knowing the alphabet but you can't be self reliant; you can with guitar. You can stumble along finding what strings and frets sound right and never know what notes they are.
Perhaps I've over thought this but I stand by what I said; that's not a very good analogy for this.

What Bender said is probably the best you'll find unless you're an over-thinker.

People can talk without knowing how to spell. They can know the words without knowing what their made up of. I think its a great analogy.
Quote by Hernandez93

Well, 1st of all, I wouldn't suggest that you just go memorize the fretboard because you heard at UG that it was the thing to do. That will likely not prove to be very effective.

Truly knowing the fretboard comes with time and experience.

A couple more things.... You said you're working on sight reading. Thats great.
As you progress with your reading skills you'll find that you ARE learning the notes on the neck. (and in a meaningful context).

Why is this knowledge beneficial you ask? I say..... think about it. It's really pretty obvious.
shred is gaudy music
Learning the fretboard is really beneficial. Yes, learning where the notes are is really boring. Who doesn't hate doing those exercises? Just learn where the C major notes. Then learn the power 5th octave patterns. After that drop in the major thirds and 6ths. You all know how to flat them to get the minors. In the end you will just forget about "knowing" where all the notes are and just play.

Fretboard exercises are just a "starting point" for everyone to start from. BUT not everyone wants to start there. You get what I mean?
I'm trying to learn in order to improvise better and sight read

There you go! Especially the improvise part. If you know where the notes are, and how to hit them, you're legions above a lot of guitar players.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Last edited by rhoads4ever at Jun 21, 2010,