It finally arrived after many delays. Yesterday morning actually, but I was gone most of the day, and I had to work today so here it is my first NGD on UG.

This is my second guitar in the 5 years that I've played. My first was an Epiphone Les Paul Studio that I sold a back in December (to help pay for this)... so I've been guitar-less for a little over 6 months... sort of. My friend loaned me a cheap $99 Gibson-Baldwin les paul jr. that I kind of fixed up and have been playing, but playing that for 6 months will drive you crazy.

Anyway, along with the money I got from selling my guitar, my parents gave me the rest as a graduation present, so that's pretty cool and all.

Time for pics!

Oh...
It's an Ibanez S770pb.

I guess it's time for a review.

It came set up pretty well actually, but badly out of tune (Expected). A few thumbrolls on the back to change the tension and line up the trem, a nice tuning, and a few twists with a allen wrench to lock the nut... it hasn't went out of tune for almost 2 days, and I've done the biggest divebombs I can. Big enough to where the top E sticks to the single coil because of the magnet.

So... yeah... Amazing tuning stability. Which is one of the main reasons I got a guitar with a double locking trem. I can even go to drop D with the fine tuner (with enough room to go even lower), though I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be doing that.

The action is good for now. I may lower if just a bit later on... there's already some fretbuzz so... I don't know, I'll see what happens.

Intonation is almost perfect. I might adjust it later... I can barely tell it a bit off so it isn't bothering me. I can do octaves on the A and G strings all the way up and it's pretty much perfect all the way to the 24th fret.

Features? It's loaded with them.
-Nice poplar burl top
-triple binding on the body (black-white-black)
-neck binding
-abalone inlays
-It's HSH with a 5 way switch.
-ZR trem and locking nut.
-24 frets
-1 volume 1 tone. (I much prefer this than the 4 knob configuration on my les paul. Those knobs got annoying)

The bridge pickup is a bit twangy and honky, but I plan to replace all of the pickups eventually. People say the the bridge pickup is muddy, but I find it to be very clear... but maybe in a different way. The middle single coil actually sounds really amazing. I love the sound I get from it. The neck pickup is alright... a bit muddy, but it'll do for now.

You know the catchline for the S series. "Heavy mahogany tone without the heavy mahogany weight". I don't know... it's about 7-8 pounds. I mean, it definitely feels lighter than an LP but it's not ridiculously light either. It feels amazing standing up though, fits nicely against my body.

I'd like to point something out, this guitar is acoustically LOUD. I didn't expect this from such a thin guitar, but unplugged, this guitar rings out loudly. I love it.

There are a few little quirks about the guitar... though I'm sure I can work them out.
-The high E string wont change pitch as much as the other... The same amount of pressure on the trem will drop every string about a whole step, but the high E will barely drop a half step. Maybe a string change+trem setup will work this out..?
-Them middle single coil pickups gets in the way of my picking sometimes. I'm too lazy to lower it right now.
-There's a drop in sustain in the higher notes on the high E string. I think it might be the fretwork. I'll take it to my local guitar shop and have everything checked out.
-some fretbuzz here and there. Plus on the 13th fret on the high E, the saddle buzzes a bit. Not sure if that's bad or anything.
-There's a clicking sound in the trem somewhere everytime I go down with the trem bar. It's actually more of a thump than a click. Definitely need to check this out.

Overall I'm very satisfied with this guitar, it's 10x better than my old epiphone, I can't put it down. Now since I recnetly got a job, I just gotta save up for a nice amp to go with this guitar.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 19, 2010,
Awesome man! never seen that type of natural wood finish on an ibanez before, enjoy it!
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
I've played one of those, damn nice guitars, except I've never had the chance to play one that is actually set-up and isn't complete sh*t. God, I hate Daddy's Junky Music.. At least the one here. *anger, grumble grumble..*
man,I think you're being too picky about it,damn thats a nice guitar

-The high E string wont change pitch as much as the other... The same amount of pressure on the trem will drop every string about a whole step, but the high E will barely drop a half step. Maybe a string change+trem setup will work this out..?

this is the normal behavior of a trem,you can never expect all the strings drop pitch equally,thats a flaw that is there in every trem exept the steinbereger trans trem

HNGD!!!

Quote by Ignite

I'd like to point something out, this guitar is acoustically LOUD. I didn't expect this from such a thin guitar, but unplugged, this guitar rings out loudly. I love it.

One of the signs of a good guitar

HNGD!

Oh and... hello ryco :P
Grats biiitch
May your sweeps be fluid and your alternate picking be smooth and accurate! :P
When I saw the 4th picture I thought "Holy sheep balls that's thin!", its the kinda custom i've been thinking about for a while - natural superstrat shape (but i want reverse jackson headstock )

HELLO!

I may or may not have been aroused by those pictures.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls

Happy NGD man, I have severe GAS for that finish alone.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Beautiful finish on that guitar. HNGD
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Thanks everyone!

Though it's possible I might have to ship it back and get a replacement. Like I said, every time I go down on the trem, there's a popping noise (turns into a scratching noise when I go very slow) and I haven't been able to isolate where it's coming from. It even rings out through the pickups so you can hear it through the amp... Me and my dad are going to go over it thoroughly today.
UPDATE:

The ZPS bar is causing the clunk. It's interacting with the fabric or something that it rests on when I push down it's doing something but I've yet to figure it out.

I took the ZPS bar out and WOOOW. I can flutter, and the range has improved so much. It's soooo much smoother.

I'm not sure if I'll ever put the ZPS back in... it seems to stay/return in tune fine without it. I did put it back in for a few minutes and the "clunk" sound is now much softer and doesn't resonate through the pickups like it did, but I took it back out because the trem is so much more fun without it, plus I can kind of feel the clunk and it's annoying.

I'd like to take it to a tech but there's really no one around me to take it to and my local guitar shop consists of old guys that play strats only. I doubt they'd know anything about the ZR.
the ZR can be operated without the ZPS.thats no problem..actually most people opt for the free floating mode because of all the problems caused by it..the ZPS is useless IMO unless you want to keep double stop bends in tune,which,we who have lived with the normal floyds for years dont find necessary
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 20, 2010,
om gahahahawd
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED