so I'm in a hardcore band with a few mates. we listen to 50 lions, parkway drive, architects, amity affliction, prom queen, carpathian shit like that, and were all getting new shit so we can start gigging. i really need help looking for something. should i get a stack or a reg amp. I'm looking for 100 watts or more. my price range is around a grand or under. need something loud (rips over the drums), punchy, preferably tube/valve, heavy, good clean setting so it will take a distortion pedal like sex. Any ideas? I want it to last. Oh and if it had really good presence that would help heaps for a nice ring out. Thanks heaps.
You don't need more than 50w tube, but there's not many metal amps that aren't 100/120w.

Get a used Peavey 5150 head and a 4x12 or 2x12 Mesa/Orange/Avatar/Vader/Whatever cab, and then throw away your distortion pedal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
im loving the idea of that head but i cant afford it lol. it costs $2599 for a used one on ebay.
6505+ if you are rich, if you're not then i strongly suggest Bugera 6262. It's voiced like a 6505 with better clean :P They are both great.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Just saying, a good valve amp's overdrive channel will probably sound ALOT better than a decent distortion pedal on a great valve amp!

+1 on the 5150. Other amps that will do are: Marshall JCM 800 + OD, Orange Rocker 30, Mesa Single Rectifier (or Rectoverb combo), or a used Splawn (they are REALLY good amps, but perhaps a bit expensive?)? I'm not in the US, so some of these amps could be out of your range.

Remember that a good cab is important for a good sound. VERY important. IMO your best bet is a 2x12 with Celestion v30's. Easier to carry then a 4x12, and should have enough power for MOST amps out there (120w).

ALSO: Just a tip, you don't need to use as much gain as you would think. Your sound can go muddy, it WILL be noisier, and what you play will not come through as clear is it should. Practise playing with the gain really low (think classic rock tone) even for metalcore. If, with practise, you can make that sound good, you have become a better player. IMO far too many guitarists rely on gain to make they're notes ring.

EDIT: OUCH! You're in Austrailia, my amp suggestions will probably be WAY out of your range!
Last edited by Lil'hl at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by Lil'hl
EDIT: OUCH! You're in Austrailia, my amp suggestions will probably be WAY out of your range!

yeh lol i just searched all that shit you suggested on ebay and the prices are through the roof. anyone know any good sounding but cheap cabs? its gonna be hard for me to find a combo under $1000 aus i guess. i need an amp head aswell as a cab.
Quote by josh_salty
bugera 6260 is possibly your best bet really

yeh. so i found this - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-BUGERA-6260-120W-2-CH-VALVE-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-/290444647580?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item439fd99c9c

head for $800.
This would get me a heavy sound? ill look at the specs now
EDIT: and do cabs really matter? obviously you need a decent quality one but what goes well for a cheap price?
Last edited by wattsy94 at Jun 19, 2010,
I suggest bugera aswell, ESP since you live in austraila. I freakin love my 6262
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I'd suggest a Peavey 6505+ and an Orange cab but since you're on a budget you might want to try out the Bugera 6262 and maybe an Avatar cab.

I personally have a 6505+ and Orange PPC212 and it pulls off all the tones of the bands you have listed.
Quote by wattsy94
australia

That would've been helpful to know in the first post

Get a Bugera combo then, but still - throw away your distortion pedal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mansoncharles
I'd suggest a Peavey 6505+ and an Orange cab but since you're on a budget you might want to try out the Bugera 6262 and maybe an Avatar cab.

I personally have a 6505+ and Orange PPC212 and it pulls off all the tones of the bands you have listed.

you dont want to know how expensive avatar is down here, its absolute madness.

TS, as a fellow Aust native, the best value amps you can get around here are Marshalls cause they are so common. Where in Aust do you live? you can get a JCM combo of sorts for $700-1000 then pick up a TS-9 or similar to tighten the drive up.
mojostompboxes.com
^ Also check out the Sovtek MIG, they're supposed to be not-so-rare in Ausland.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
these are all mad ideas, but i just cant afford them. im looking at all these heads and they're costing 600-700 .. and then i need a cab for 500-600. im on a really tight budget atm, so im looking at the bugera 6260 120watt valve combo for $860. It looks pretty nice, and researching about it the distortion settings sound pretty nice? and it has prescence
Should i get it?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-BUGERA-6260-120W-2-CH-VALVE-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-/290444647580?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item439fd99c9c

EDIT: would this cut it for a gig? 120 watts sounds fine to me..
Last edited by wattsy94 at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by wattsy94
these are all mad ideas, but i just cant afford them. im looking at all these heads and they're costing 600-700 .. and then i need a cab for 500-600. im on a really tight budget atm, so im looking at the bugera 6260 120watt valve combo for $860. It looks pretty nice, and researching about it the distortion settings sound pretty nice? and it has prescence
Should i get it?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-BUGERA-6260-120W-2-CH-VALVE-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-/290444647580?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item439fd99c9c

technically, a 20 watt amp would cut it for a gig, as we've said. but yeah you're best bet would be that combo, and forget about the distortion pedal, the 6262 has a brutal distortion on it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I can give you a link to a $600 orange 2x12 in aus. Check out the website melband. theres loads of heads under 800 used. Where in aus u from?
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
Quote by wattsy94
Should i get it?

its brutal. i love mine
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Pantera95
I can give you a link to a $600 orange 2x12 in aus. Check out the website melband. theres loads of heads under 800 used. Where in aus u from?

nsw
Quote by MatrixClaw
You don't need more than 50w tube, but there's not many metal amps that aren't 100/120w.

Get a used Peavey 5150 head and a 4x12 or 2x12 Mesa/Orange/Avatar/Vader/Whatever cab, and then throw away your distortion pedal.

+1
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?