I've been listening to a lot of music recently where the vocals have that megaphone sound and i've been told before that it is achieved by using a high pass filter mixed with a low pass filter.
what would i need to set these at?
all advice would be highly appreciated.
When you use a HPF and a LPF in series, it's called a band-pass filter.

See 'Waiting for the Worms' by Pink Floyd. Roger Waters achieves this effect, although he did it by actually using a megaphone.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
When you use a HPF and a LPF in series, it's called a band-pass filter.

See 'Waiting for the Worms' by Pink Floyd. Roger Waters achieves this effect, although he did it by actually using a megaphone.

Yeah i heard using a real megaphone is the best way to do it.
but right now im limited to plugins EQing and anything of that nature.
and thanks for the band pass filter tip didn't know that.
I've never done it before, but I'd guess if you were to attempt to recreate this sort of sound using an EQ, the best way to do it would be to add a low pass and a high pass to completely cut off the majority of the frequencies, and effectively have most of the sound coming from a small range of frequencies (I'd guess somewhere between 2-3k).

You also probably want to compress it quite heavily, and you could even toy with sending it to some light overdrive if you fancied.
^ thats what i am thinking as well. good ammounts of compression, mild overdrive and a bit of light reverb or something.

ive got a preset on one of my eq plugins that is supposed to sound like being on the phone. the low cutoff frequency is around 315 Hz and high cutoff is around 8000 Hz. i would probably lower that top end for a more megaphone effect, but kinda gets the idea.
Quote by jof1029
^ thats what i am thinking as well. good ammounts of compression, mild overdrive and a bit of light reverb or something.

ive got a preset on one of my eq plugins that is supposed to sound like being on the phone. the low cutoff frequency is around 315 Hz and high cutoff is around 8000 Hz. i would probably lower that top end for a more megaphone effect, but kinda gets the idea.

In fact, I suggest you just google settings for EQ plugins, alot of them have presets for things like telephone and megaphone.
Quote by CoreysMonster
In fact, I suggest you just google settings for EQ plugins, alot of them have presets for things like telephone and megaphone.

Do you know of any in specific?
Quote by scaronyourface
*waits for moodys and lockwolfs intelligence.*

Well, I feel honored :p

Anyways, I thought I had a preset EQ setting on it but it turns out I don't. Mr Google helped a little bit on this one. Heres what you should try:

EQ: Cut out anything below 320hz, cut anything above 640hz, boost about 500hz. Start with that, see how it works, adjust as needed.

Distortion: Add some vocal distortion to give it that raw megaphone sound. Its not going to sound like a megaphone without it.

Reverb: Thats up to you. I usually like to add a little light reverb to the vocals to make them a little more airy sounding.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
if you really want to get serious about it, do all of the above, then send it out your speakers and record it back in through a microphone.
Quote by Rakoro
if you really want to get serious about it, do all of the above, then send it out your speakers and record it back in through a microphone.

You're assuming i have REALLY high def speakers which i don't haha.
Quote by scaronyourface
You're assuming i have REALLY high def speakers which i don't haha.

Run it through a guitar amp?