this might be the lazy way of looking at chords, but as with any example i'll start with c major since the other scales can be plugged in just as easily

i noticed that with the fingering position of a Cmaj7 chord, that if you just slide up one fret, then you get the next major chord which is D#Major7, and then this idea sort of hit me

if i know the position one chord like example Cmajor7 then do I also already know the fingering position for all the other major7 chords as well (at least one string for this moment in time) ? and that idea also goes for all the other chords as well, like Dominants, Diminished, and Augmented

and if that theory applies then, learning chords should be cake, what i mean by that is learn the position in C Major, then just apply that fingering to whatever key im aiming for

if it doesnt apply, then ive got awhile
There are basically two types of chords - open chords and barre chords. Barre chords are able to be played on every fret, like you've described. Open chords only work on the '0' fret - you have to add a barre to move it up the fretboard.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
If you know the fingering position of a CMaj7 (C, E, G, B) and it's an open chord, you can move it up a fret, but if there are any open strings, then it's likely no longer a C#Maj7. Try this pattern:

x3x453

That's the pattern for a CMaj7, or CM7. Notice it's not a barre chord, but it does have a couple of "x" or don't play strings in there. However, it is a CM7. Now, move the whole thing up one fret. It's now a C#M7 or DbM7. This fingering is a classic jazz voicing, so it has a nice sound to it.

Now play this one:

x02220

That's an open A. Move it up one fret and play it again.

x03330

It's no longer an A, but it still has the same shape. See what we mean?

As already mentioned, play a barre chord anywhere on the neck and as long as you know the root, you can figure out the chord.
Quote by fenderstrat730
this might be the lazy way of looking at chords, but as with any example i'll start with c major since the other scales can be plugged in just as easily

i noticed that with the fingering position of a Cmaj7 chord, that if you just slide up one fret, then you get the next major chord which is D#Major7, and then this idea sort of hit me

if i know the position one chord like example Cmajor7 then do I also already know the fingering position for all the other major7 chords as well (at least one string for this moment in time) ? and that idea also goes for all the other chords as well, like Dominants, Diminished, and Augmented

and if that theory applies then, learning chords should be cake, what i mean by that is learn the position in C Major, then just apply that fingering to whatever key im aiming for

if it doesnt apply, then ive got awhile

Yep, you just need to memorize possible chord shapes, not all possible chords.

BUT!!! Learn how these chords are constructed if you haven't already. Have in your mind what notes are in each chord and their function within, this takes longer but is also valuable.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Major 1, 3, 5
Major 7th 1, 3 ,5 ,7
Sixth 1, 3, 5, 6
Ninth 1, 3, 5, 7, 9

Minor 1, b3, 5
Minor Sixth 1, b3, 5, 6
Minor 7th 1, 3, 5, b7
Minor Ninth 1, b3, 5, b7, b9

Sus 2 1, 2, 5
Sus 4 1, 4, 5

Aug 1, 3, #5

Dim 1, b3, b5
Dim7th 1,b3, b5, bb7

theres alot more, but i did that just to show that i know the formulas for the most part
Quote by fenderstrat730
Major 1, 3, 5
Major 7th 1, 3 ,5 ,7
Sixth 1, 3, 5, 6
Ninth 1, 3, 5, 7, 9

Minor 1, b3, 5
Minor Sixth 1, b3, 5, 6
Minor 7th 1, 3, 5, b7
Minor Ninth 1, b3, 5, b7, b9

Sus 2 1, 2, 5
Sus 4 1, 4, 5

Aug 1, 3, #5

Dim 1, b3, b5
Dim7th 1,b3, b5, bb7

theres alot more, but i did that just to show that i know the formulas for the most part

We just went over this in the other thread.

maj7 - 1,3,5,7
min7 -1,b3,5,b7
7 ---1,3,5,b7 (also called dominant 7th)
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.