Hey all, so I've got some really nooby questions coming your way, I apologize in advance. So to start off with I play mostly hard rock type stuff, (alot of Tool, 10 years, Breaking Benjamin ect.). I run my Epi Les Paul into a digitech RP350 and have used it with my fairly out of place 125W Fender princeton chorus amp. My band is going to begin giging fairly soon and my amp (which I've always had the intention to replace) started giving out on me the other day. So now I've found myself at a sortof fork in the road, I need a new amp now and I have two directions to go.

I've heard lots of completely opposing views on the digitech RP series. I've never really known any better than the the RP because I have almost never played without it. However, from time to time I have felt that my tone was a little lacking but because I havn't known any better, it never concerned me too much, and maybe it was either the amp or the player (more likely, haha) at fault.

One question that I havn't been able to find much about is, if I'm using the RP350 with simulated amps and cabs, how big a role does the amp still play? Does it reduce the amp to just a big speaker projecting the simulated amp/cab? Or will a crappy amp still equal a crappy tone even if your not really relying on it for its own tone?

So now I'm wondering if I should ditch the RP350, buy a fairly nice amp and go with that? Or should I keep the RP350 and buy a slightly less nice amp to just replace my old amp?

I do like the features of the RP350, but because I've never really used anything else I dont know if it is hurting my tone. If it is hurting the tone to any significant amount, I obviously dont want that.

Any suggestions of said amps would also be quite helpful, as I said, the band is beginning some giging soon, so volume is a requirement. Thanks very much for any advice!
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
Ideally, keep your RP350 and buy a nice amp. Use the RP350 as an effects unit and ditch the amp simulations.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Buy an amp with great distortion, use the RP for all the modulation/delay effects. The distortion on them is sub-par next to most amps.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
What sort of budget would you have if you were to look into buying a new amp?

I would also second the keeping of the RP350, and then getting a nice amp. Thought this also depends, do you use the RP350 for anything other than amp/cab sims (do you use the actual effects?).
I do use the effects in the 350 occasionally, I don't really need them, but I do really like the option of having the wide variety of effects at any time.

This amp looked good to me but it's a little above my price range, is there anything similar for less, maybe around $400-500 tops.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp-104003389-i1145635.gc#read-reviews

Any suggestions for amps around that price range or less that would work well for my genre would be much appreciated.
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
Quote by Slimjim5792
I do use the effects in the 350 occasionally, I don't really need them, but I do really like the option of having the wide variety of effects at any time.

This amp looked good to me but it's a little above my price range, is there anything similar for less, maybe around $400-500 tops.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp-104003389-i1145635.gc#read-reviews

Any suggestions for amps around that price range or less that would work well for my genre would be much appreciated.

You can get a peavey 6505+ combo for a little less than that valveking. I'd take a 6505+ over a valveking any day.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ