i'm having trouble deciding between these two amps. I play in an indie rock band with post-rock tendencies so the clean and clean on the edge of breakup sounds are probably the most important for me. Obviously the tweaker is the more versatile option, and if it can do a decent ac30 sound then it's no contest. Yet a big part of me thinks that if the ac30 has a couple of really good sounds and if the tweaker is a jack of all trades master of none then it might be the one for me. thanks.
I'd go the AC30.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Well, if you ever stray to heavier genres, then you're kind of pigeonholed with the AC30. If you're playing indie rock, even classic rock than the AC30 works. Sounds great for that stuff. The most gain you'll ever get out of it is early Cream/Zeppelin.

Also, I have trouble keeping my AC30 out of the shrill side of things. You have to be careful where you place that cut knob.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
well i wouldn't exactly call the tweaker a master of none.
it does a lot of things very well. albeit, it isn't the end all to tube amps.
and i would say a renegade would probably be a better comparison between an vox AC and an Egnater.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, if you ever stray to heavier genres, then you're kind of pigeonholed with the AC30. If you're playing indie rock, even classic rock than the AC30 works. Sounds great for that stuff. The most gain you'll ever get out of it is early Cream/Zeppelin.

Also, I have trouble keeping my AC30 out of the shrill side of things. You have to be careful where you place that cut knob.

I strongly disagree.
I always noticed that the ac30 could pull out a nice amount of gain if you crank the channel volume and keep the master volume on the lower side.
Throw in something like the Signal pad or a volume pedal would easily make cleans available along with mediumish plus gain.
Quote by gregs1020
well i wouldn't exactly call the tweaker a master of none.
it does a lot of things very well. albeit, it isn't the end all to tube amps.
and i would say a renegade would probably be a better comparison between an vox AC and an Egnater.

ahh well i would probably take a renegade over a tweaker but unfortunately anything egnater in australia is quite highly priced to the point where even a rebel 30 is out of my price range =s

what does it do well?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

mmm well shrill could be an issue given that my tele errs on the side of piercing anyway. while i may stray into heavier genres occasionaly, i'm hardly a connosieur of those tones. A pedal in front of a cleanish amp would probably scratch that itch.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I strongly disagree.
I always noticed that the ac30 could pull out a nice amount of gain if you crank the channel volume and keep the master volume on the lower side.
Throw in something like the Signal pad or a volume pedal would easily make cleans available along with mediumish plus gain.
Wait, what AC30 are we talking about that has a Master on it?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Depends how loud your drummer is.
If they made a 30w Tweaker I would be all over it
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
the new ones do.

from vox

"VOX Custom Series amps offer two channels: Normal and Top-Boost. Each channel is equipped with its own Volume control, and the Top Boost channel offers highly interactive Treble and Bass tone controls. This powerful channel pairing provides an abundance of tone-crafting control, letting you dial in a classic sound that is all your own.

Both channels rely on the Tone Cut and Volume controls in the Master section. The Tone Cut control operates in the power stage rather than the preamp stage, allowing an additional degree of tone-shaping. The Master Volume control works in conjunction with the individual volumes of each channel to create just the right degree of gain-staging. By balancing the individual and Master volumes, the Custom Series can deliver everything from a clean VOX "chimey" sound to a powerful overdriven tone."

seems like each channel has a volume and the master has a volume.

and those custom classics do too.

"Control freaks rejoice!
The AC30 Custom Classic is fully equipped with well thought out and easy to use controls. With a Custom/Normal EQ switch, Tone control and Dwell switch for the spring reverb, Master Volume, fully variable Tremolo on all channels and a true bypass Effects Loop, we've thought of everything! We've even included a switchable cathode resistor that lowers power output and increases tube life. Of course, the AC30 Custom Classic comes with our standard controls like Treble, Bass, Tone, Volume, Standby and more."
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I strongly disagree.

I suppose I should correct myself. The most gain I can get out of my Vox AC30 is around the same amount of gain you can coax out of a classic Marshall Plexi. That classic rock kind of sound, you know?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
well like i said gain isn't really a deal breaker for me. I need about enough for early kings of leon from the amp and anything else i'm happy to use pedals for. I just really need to know wether or not the tweaker can pull off those clean/crunchy clean tones well in a variety of different voicings. Because i know an ac30 can do clean/crunchy but in pretty much one variety.
I'd probably take the Tweaker, as well, based on other Egnater gear. But I just can't imagine it being the best "band amp", if know what I mean?
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I doubt the Tweaker will be loud enough for a band.

and you'd be wrong brother.

with a 1x12 i can easily be heard over a drummer on about half volume.

there are clips of the tweaker on my profile. i'll let you guys guess what it does well. pretty much everything i've thrown at it imo. even with the most retarded of settings.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
I'd probably take the Tweaker, as well, based on other Egnater gear. But I just can't imagine it being the best "band amp", if know what I mean?

why? it's versatile as all hell. try one.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020
and you'd be wrong brother.

with a 1x12 i can easily be heard over a drummer on about half volume.

there are clips of the tweaker on my profile. i'll let you guys guess what it does well. pretty much everything i've thrown at it imo. even with the most retarded of settings.

why? it's versatile as all hell. try one.
They're not on sale here yet.

Fair enough, though.
Have you tried an 18 watter Greg?
Does the Tweaker have any more headroom?
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Have you tried an 18 watter Greg?
Does the Tweaker have any more headroom?

no i haven't. just the studio 15 and a few other 15-20 watters that i guess could sorta compare. and everyone rates their watts a bit different i think, before break up etc...

the tweaker has the most headroom with 6L6s in it. about 2 or 3 oclock with the gain lower.

i did a test with a mesa 4x12, it was easily loud enough to get over drums.

Thanks
Sounds interesting, I may have to try one when they hit the shops here.
I was just asking because I struggle to get cleans over my drummer with my 18 watter. Probably will be able to once I put a treble bleed on my strat.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Tedward
I'd probably go AC15HH over the cheaper AC30s for the same price.

This.

Or just bite the bullet and get an AC30H.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Go with the VOX. It's the hallmark of almost every indie rock band. Ra Ra Riot, Girls, Grizzly Bear...the list goes on.

And it would be much easier to be heard over a drummer with an AC30 on the edge of breakup.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
dont get me wrong, im defending the tweakers ability to be gigged here.

i never rec"d it to the TS. i thought the two didnt match up in price etc.

faced with two amps listed, id rec the vox.
I owned a Tweaker and I can tell you that the new AC30 is a much better amp in pretty much every way. Cleans - Tweaker didn't really have any good clean setting without sounding like it was about to fall apart. The stock tubes are terrible but the replacements I had didn't do much better in it. Leads - Now here the Tweaker was really nice, but there was only one or two usable lead tones and the amp is just a little too quiet to really enjoy playing lead out of. The AC30 though was able to nail any tone from the lead break from Badge, to Texas Flood, to Tax Man. I would definitely go with the *NEW* AC30 but that's just me. The AC15 though wasn't amazing imo.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212