So my grandmother gave me an acoustic guitar a while ago and i just got around to looking at it.

Its a Suzuki Three S F-120.

I've searched the web and can't find much information on it at all, and i'm very curious to how much i could sell it for to put towards some new gear.

I saw on ebay there was a Suzuki Three S F-200 for $750, but that could be just somebody trying to get crazy money for something cheap...

Anyone have any idea where i can get info on this guitar or the value of it?
Last edited by cjb2293 at Jun 19, 2010,
I wouldn't bank on any big money unless you have a classic martin or a gibson. With an asian guitar it really depends on the sound and the playability. Most guitar stores will have a trade in value book.
I bought my wife a used Suzuki guitar way back when...About 1976 or so. It was not an expensive instrument.
Suzuki, along with a number of other Japanese firms, made a lot of acoustic guitars to compete with Yamaha and such back during the folk "boom".
Most of these firms have long since quit making instruments.
All the suzuki acoustics I have seen were terrible. Check if the guitar has a solid top, if it hasn't the guitar is probably completely worthless. You can do this by doing the following:
Look at the grain of the top around the soundhole from the side. Follow the grain to the soundhole and see if the grain continues to run down the edges of the soundhole, into the guitar. If you see grain on the inside of the soundhole, your guitar has a solid top. Obviously this doesn't work on a painted guitar. If there appears to be some sort of putty around the edges of the soundhole, then your guitar probably has a plywood top.
I hope this helped.
Gear:
Admira Artista classical guitar
$99 Steel string (actually quite good!)
COMING SOON... FREAK MAHOGANY TELE!
Quote by cjb2293
I saw on ebay there was a Suzuki Three S F-200 for $750

Link to recently concluded eBay auction.

There. Now you've also seen on eBay that there was a Suzuki Three S F-200 that recently sold for $170.50.

Your Suzuki is nothing particularly collectible. If you try selling it, and someone happens to be looking for a Suzuki Three S F-120 or something similar, I guess maybe you could get $150 for it. Maybe. On a good day, if you were lucky, and the buyer really wanted it. If you take it to a store in search of trade-in value , you'll probably get under $100 worth of store credit.

And much depends on its condition. Also, how did grandma store it for all those years. Was it sitting in a climate controlled closet? Or was it instead being subjected to temperature and humidity extremes in a garage or attic?

None of this means it's a bad guitar. It may play and sound great. It's just not a guitar for which there's much demand on the used market, and consequently it's unlikely to be worth much money.
THe Suzuki ThreeS are very collectible guitars from the period 1970 until 1982 made in Japan are coming from so called Martin Law suit Era, those people that replied to you before do not know about it, but in US if your guitar is in top condition with original parts and sounding value would be from 300 to 700 USD.
That model F120 F200 and F300 was made with Brazilian rosewood back and sides, and spruce top or laminated spurs top.For those that do not know Brazilian rosewood is now worldwide protected and use of it in any production is forbidden by the INT laws that makes guitars made with it even more valuable
Very good guitars, and very good sounding as well
My advice is not to sell this guitar at all, because some things are just not for selling
KInd regards to you!
Quote by Stevan.macuzic
THe Suzuki ThreeS are very collectible guitars from the period 1970 until 1982 made in Japan are coming from so called Martin Law suit Era, those people that replied to you before do not know about it, but in US if your guitar is in top condition with original parts and sounding value would be from 300 to 700 USD.
That model F120 F200 and F300 was made with Brazilian rosewood back and sides, and spruce top or laminated spurs top.For those that do not know Brazilian rosewood is now worldwide protected and use of it in any production is forbidden by the INT laws that makes guitars made with it even more valuable
Very good guitars, and very good sounding as well
My advice is not to sell this guitar at all, because some things are just not for selling
KInd regards to you!

another necromancer playing with dead things in the graveyard...

fwiw, the F120 is nato b/s, nato neck, with a spruce top. the F1300 had rosewood b/s. were it brazilian they would have stated because of the glory placed upon brazilian.

regardless of dubious "lawsuit era value" at the end of the day it's only worth what you walked away with from the deal in your pocket.
Last edited by ad_works at Nov 2, 2015,
A perfectly adequate guitar for personal playing if it has good action and intonation. I guess the OP is not a player so overall condition, playability and original Japanese manufacture are the high selling perks.
My husband purchased this guitar from a church rummage sale because, well because it was a guitar lol. He is a bit of a hoarder. I was looking to see if there is any value in it before we hand it over to the children to play with. I have attached 2 images. I believe the model number reads 85 but it is faint. Thanks in advance!
Attachments:
IMG_20151123_141618618.jpg
IMG_20151123_141610453.jpg
Quote by mindyjkwoodruff
My husband purchased this guitar from a church rummage sale because, well because it was a guitar lol. He is a bit of a hoarder. I was looking to see if there is any value in it before we hand it over to the children to play with. I have attached 2 images. I believe the model number reads 85 but it is faint. Thanks in advance!

I just did a cursory search on Castilla Guitars. It appears they were a low end maker of classical guitars out of China. Seems like Quality Control was shoppy, sometimes the guitar was good, sometimes bad.

Pricewise, seems like they were pretty low end. I saw some stuff that said they played okay, but fell apart because of poor construction.

Maybe your husband got a good one, but I wouldn't plan on making much money selling it.
cjb2293 6 years on how wrong these people were telling you this suzuki guitar was crap the price you saw one go for on e-bay reflected its quality
I've just recently picked up a Kiso Suzuki Martin OM copy and it's great! 1972 build, solid spruce top and what looks like Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. Not as sweet sounding as my 1972 Yamaha FG-150 but it's strung with heavier strings and has amazing sustain and bottom end. Only had it a few days now but very impressed so far!
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.