So I have a similar voice to Chris Cornell. I can't do what he does with falsetto though, the way he makes the shift between the two basically unrecognizable and how he has such control in it. Does anybody have any tips on how to do that effectively? I'm also worried about hurting my voice, since all the singers who I think of that did vocals like that seem to have crapped out their voice.
Nodules/Polyps on your chords have nothing to with seamless switches between falsetto/head voice, thats just proper and good singing. If you sing distorted wrong causes your vocal chords to smack togethor hard, which causes them to swell. If you keep singing and talking while they're swollen (You'll be extremely hoarse) they can blister and cause bumps or cuts.

----------------------
Transitions

Alright so the easiest way to do it means you have to be comfortable with your falsetto first off, and your head voice. Think of it as two different pitches, one pitch in your head voice, the other in your falsetto. You basically have to have blend the two pitches. Right where your voice should 'crack' into your falsetto, you almost have to do either A) A bend into your falsetto or B) Switch to the pitch exactly so it minimizes the voice crack.

I'm trying to think of how to explain it better. Just so you get the concept down, listen to Seven Nation Army at 29 seconds. He starts "And im tal-" in his head voice, and "-king to myself" in falsetto, then "at night" back in his head voice.

Right between the tal-king he does the transition. It's almost just screwing around until you figure it out yourself and get how to do the transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7huh5Egew
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by Ghast
Nodules/Polyps on your chords have nothing to with seamless switches between falsetto/head voice, thats just proper and good singing. If you sing distorted wrong causes your vocal chords to smack togethor hard, which causes them to swell. If you keep singing and talking while they're swollen (You'll be extremely hoarse) they can blister and cause bumps or cuts.

----------------------
Transitions

Alright so the easiest way to do it means you have to be comfortable with your falsetto first off, and your head voice. Think of it as two different pitches, one pitch in your head voice, the other in your falsetto. You basically have to have blend the two pitches. Right where your voice should 'crack' into your falsetto, you almost have to do either A) A bend into your falsetto or B) Switch to the pitch exactly so it minimizes the voice crack.

I'm trying to think of how to explain it better. Just so you get the concept down, listen to Seven Nation Army at 29 seconds. He starts "And im tal-" in his head voice, and "-king to myself" in falsetto, then "at night" back in his head voice.

Right between the tal-king he does the transition. It's almost just screwing around until you figure it out yourself and get how to do the transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7huh5Egew

I can sort of do that, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for, or I can't apply it to what I'm trying to do

Basically what I want to know is: How do I do this

I am pretty sure Chris has the exact same range as I do according to the internet, so I really am perplexed as to how he hits some of those high notes. Is he using falsetto really fucking well, or is he doing something else? Basically, how does he do that?!?
He has an unnatural range...

If you really feel like attempting it hes not singing it, it's called chris cornells signature scream for a reason :P

It's more or less falsetto screaming. My falsetto has the range of a dying animal, so not gonna comment any further :P
Quote by Venice King
Last edited by Ghast at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by Ghast
He has an unnatural range...

If you really feel like attempting it hes not singing it, it's called chris cornells signature scream for a reason :P

It's more or less falsetto screaming. My falsetto has the range of a dying animal, so not gonna comment any further :P

I know, I want to learn how to do that the way he does it. I have the same range as him (actually I can go a little higher), but I just can't do the falsetto thing he does, mine just sounds completely off when compared to my singing voice. It just doesn't work the way his does, so I want to learn how to make it sound better.
As much as I hate to say it, try youtubing falsetto lessons? Maybe Axe will know. My falsetto sounds like a dying porpoise, so I'm not really the person to ask hahahaha :P
Quote by Venice King