This is gonna be a bit long winded, but I'm hoping some wonderful person will be able to help.

For my arrangement of Pavane by Gabriel Fauré I'm going to have to combine the alto and treble clefs of the viola and violin parts to make up a playable melody on my bass.

Problem is that so far, attempts to combine the two parts have been pretty much a disaster, and I'm wondering how I should now do this. I want to preserve the original tune as much as possible, which is the single biggest problem I have.

Any help? I'll post the link to the sheet music when I can find it!

Edited for stupid spelling errors.
Last edited by Fassa Albrecht at Jun 19, 2010,
And you can't just make two staffs?

...BTW that's one of my favorite pieces EVER.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd
And you can't just make two staffs?

...BTW that's one of my favorite pieces EVER.

I'm trying to get it down to something I can play solo (with the pizzicato bass programmed on a loop). So I can't have two bass parts.\

Also- yes, that piece rocks.
You mean Gabriel? never heard of gustav faure.

Is the problem in knowing what note is what on each of the clefs, and changing it to a bass clef? Or just arranging the melody parts into one instrument, which, if you dont mind me saying, may not cope with a melody originally written for high pitch instruments.

Arranging classical music is never easy; however, a nice fuge by bach is usually good fun on guitar to do.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Do you know how to read both clefs? The first thing I would do is layer them. Remember, the point in the middle of the Alto Clef is Middle C, so if you put the melody from the Alto clef on middle C in the Treble clef, it's now all on one clef.

Then all you have to worry about is making everything playable on bass. I've never heard the song (as far as I know), but I would imagine dropping everything an octave or two would be beneficial.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Do you know how to read both clefs? The first thing I would do is layer them. Remember, the point in the middle of the Alto Clef is Middle C, so if you put the melody from the Alto clef on middle C in the Treble clef, it's now all on one clef.

Then all you have to worry about is making everything playable on bass. I've never heard the song (as far as I know), but I would imagine dropping everything an octave or two would be beneficial.

Yeah, I can read pretty much any clef, although with alto it's not a clef I actually use to play any of my instruments bar cello, and even then it's not too common for what I play.

Also, regarding the layering- I've got an octave up pedal so reaching the right notes isn't a huge issue. If I'm really desperate I can always use a guitar instead of bass.

@notoriousnumber: Yeah, that's who I mean. I'm so half-awake.