I play mainly metalcore, and I leave my guitar tuned to drop C (I occasionally use D-Standard). I need thicker strings, but I'm not sure how thick. I currently have from top to bottom:

D 13
A 17
F 26
C 36
G 46
C 56

But they're pretty hard to press down compared to the strings it came with. Also, they're WAY too high off the neck, which renders all forms of harmonics above the third fret rather difficult. If I play anything higher than the twelfth fret, it sounds badly out of tune even when the lower frets sound fine. If anyone knows what I can do (and what gauge strings I should get) to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.
you don't need thicker strings, your guitar just needs to be setup properly.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
They make special drop tuning strings, might want to check those out. And in metal-core does anybody notice when your guitars out of tune?
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
Quote by salgala2000
He's in Drop C he can't go 10 or 11 without the strings feeling like spaghetti

Really? The 11s I have on my Strat certainly didn't feel like spaghetti when I tuned them to Drop C.

Maybe it's just preference.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

What exactly needs to be set up on my guitar? Also, how might I accomplish this?
It's the Epiphone SG Model. As in, not the real Gibson. (I don't actually know if that makes a difference.)
A "set up" refers to going over the guitar, making sure the action is the proper height, checking the intonation, tightening all the screws and whatnot, making sure there's no lengthwise curving in the neck. They can be scheduled and performed at most guitar shops for a fee.
My Gear:
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
Ibanez RGT42
PRS Santana SE

Randall RG50TC

DOD YJM308 Preamp Overdrive
Digitech RP250

Tortex jazz picks (1.14 mm)
Quote by Ginsu
It's the Epiphone SG Model. As in, not the real Gibson. (I don't actually know if that makes a difference.)

nope, the reason i asked is so we know what kind of bridge you have. tune-o-matic bridges are really easy to adjust. check out the set up thread in EG.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Thats an obserd string gauge for drop c on a 24'75 scale.

I have a 24'75 guitar with dunlops 11-50
and it has plenty of tension.

You either need to get it set up properly if you like the feel of 13's, or you need to get 11's and get it set up. it'll feel a lot easier to play to an extent. my guitar has pretty low action for its scale, string gauge and tuning so 11s-12s will do.
Quote by Ginsu

You have the action way too high. That guitar has a relatively short scale and those strings should be a little loose. Take it to a tech who knows what he’s doing and have it set up for that tuning.