Okay, I just bought these high gauge flat wound strings for my electric guitar... I guess I wasn't thinking clearly.

When I have my guitar in tune it pulls the whammy bar bridge thing forward.... I don't want it to wreck my guitar so I loosened the strings up but now the guitar isn't in tune... so am I basically screwed?

I only wasted $9 but it was still kinda disappointing.
just buy another spring for the bridge. i had the same problem, and it seemed to do the trick
ESP f-400FM with EMG Actives
Ibanez GIO
Epiphone V with Seymour Duncan Invader
Epiphone Explorer with Dragonfire Actives

Line 6 Spider 3 120 watt with Line 6 Pod and Digitech Whammy Pedal
How big are they? Cuz if you keep really big strings in a guitar with a floating bridge for just a small amount of time it can ruin the springs so you have to get new ones.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
If it's a strat style whammy, just block it with some wood wedges:

Instant hardtail.
Last edited by Tinderwet at Jun 19, 2010,
It's pulled the bridge forward?

Slacken your strings, go into the backplate and you'll see some springs. Tighten them up, and set your guitar back up. You should be set.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
A guitar with a trem is all about tension. The tension of the springs and the strings must be balanced. When you add thicker strings, you have to add more tension to the springs to balance it out. This is done by screwing the trem claw in the back of your guitar further into the guitar. If it's already pretty far in, take off the strings, screw it out a good amount, then start over.

It'll take a while to balance out if you've never done it before, just be patient with it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think I might just have to take it into a shop :/ or just rip the strings off and buy thin ones.

I added in a fourth spring and tightened the spring holder thing, but it didn't help a whole lot.

Each time a tune a string it pulls the bridge forward, when it does that it un-tunes all the other strings, so I basically get to the point were my bridge is almost on a 45 degree angle :/
Just keep at it. It'll resolve itself eventually. Screw it in a lot, then tune. Also, you have to retune several times. If you tune each string once, the only string that will be in tune is the one you just did. You have to do them all over and over for the bridge to level out and everything get back to normal. It takes time, but the more you do it, the easier it will become. It's only really difficult when you make a massive jump in string gauge like you did.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, I know you have to re-tune each string, but that's what cause the massive bend in my bridge.

As I mentioned I added a 4th spring. That would help right?
Tighten the springs is the back. The floating bridge is essentially balanced on two pole peices, and there needs to be a perfect equilibrium between string tension and spring tension to keep the bridge from popping out or sinking in
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Add a 5th spring. If that doesn't help you may have to hardtail it.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Okay, so good news I tightened the spring holder thingy, and the tuning holds, I still may need to throw a 5th spring in, but I'm sorta nervous about 1 thing...

Since my guitar is use to lighter gauge string, and I put some really heavy ones on will that warp my neck? Maybe I'm just paranoid :/ But yeah, I really don't wanna wreck my whole guitar over some 9 dollar strings :/
Quote by Unusual_Rex
Okay, so good news I tightened the spring holder thingy, and the tuning holds, I still may need to throw a 5th spring in, but I'm sorta nervous about 1 thing...

Since my guitar is use to lighter gauge string, and I put some really heavy ones on will that warp my neck? Maybe I'm just paranoid :/ But yeah, I really don't wanna wreck my whole guitar over some 9 dollar strings :/

I wouldn't worry about it. I jumped from a set of 9s up to a set of 12s once, and I didn't have a problem.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Each time a tune a string it pulls the bridge forward, when it does that it un-tunes all the other strings, so I basically get to the point were my bridge is almost on a 45 degree angle :/

Keep screwing it in and re-tuning it. Eventually, its gonna find its own balance. If you think that the screws are in as far as they can go, start popping on springs.
don`t block the bridge

add a spring.

level the base plate of the bridge so it`s parallel with the body (use the screws in the back that attach body to the springs.

tune up and intonate.

if you don`t know what you`re doing take it to a tech.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jun 20, 2010,
Google for basic Strat set up.There are a million sites out there. Blocking the trem is the lazy way to go about it.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Slacken your strings, open the back of your guitar. You should see 2 or 3 springs connecting the bridge you see and a plate that's screwed into the guitar.
Tighten those screws a bit, you'll have to check regularly what the bridge looks like from the front (ie at which angle it sits in comparison to the body).

If it's parallel to the body when you put the old gal back into tune, you're good.

Also, if it's really at a large angle, add a spring. Usually though, adjusting those screws will do.

Cheers,
John aka PsiGuy60.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jun 20, 2010,