There's adavntages and disadvantages to both. I personally don't know a ton about reacording, but I can help a little.

Direct Input
Pros: Easiest setup, Can change settings/effects even after it is recorded using software like ProTools (which is great I use it).

Cons: Limited number of inputs, and depending on software, interface, and computer, there may be a delay when playback is on during recording.

Micing the Amp
Pros: More natural or "live" sound. get the tone of your specific amp, not modeled software versions. Record full band playing together, without limit on number of instruments.

Cons: When recording, whatever sound you have is it (no changes to specific instruments), need mics + interface so it may be more expensive for good quality, and you must test out different mic positions/setups. Harder to master.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
No problam

and if you are looking to get an interface, I highly recommend the M-Box Mini 2. It is very good quality, comes with Pro Tools LE 8 and is only about $280. It has 2 line-in inputs, a condenser mic input, and outputs for stereo speaker systems. It's incredible. I would get that, and you always have the option of either going direct in, or buying a condenser mic for the amp.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Here is my general rule of thumb:

Its always better to record a real amp if the amp is a quality amp. If you're recording a Marshall Full Stack or something like that, there isn't an amp sim that touches it. If you're recording with a typical starter amp (Line 6 Spiders, Vox Valvetronix, Basically anything solid state), you're way better going direct with an amp sim.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by gatechballer
No problam

and if you are looking to get an interface, I highly recommend the M-Box Mini 2. It is very good quality, comes with Pro Tools LE 8 and is only about $280. It has 2 line-in inputs, a condenser mic input, and outputs for stereo speaker systems. It's incredible. I would get that, and you always have the option of either going direct in, or buying a condenser mic for the amp.

Mine just crashed my Macbook for the umpteenth time since I bought it. I do NOT recommend it, you can do better for the money. ProTools is overrated at the LE/MP level. This is coming from someone with lots of experience with HD and LE.

But to answer the original question- record DI then you can reamp it through a real amplifier with a speaker later if you want. Reamping is awesome, but not totally easy for a beginner.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Mine just crashed my Macbook for the umpteenth time since I bought it.

You must have a really shitty Mac since I'm running my Pro Tools on Vista just fine with no problems whatsoever.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Here is my general rule of thumb:

Its always better to record a real amp if the amp is a quality amp. If you're recording a Marshall Full Stack or something like that, there isn't an amp sim that touches it. If you're recording with a typical starter amp (Line 6 Spiders, Vox Valvetronix, Basically anything solid state), you're way better going direct with an amp sim.

That's a crock. There's so many producers that use DI. John Mayer has before.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch