i just got my bc rich today in the mail. it's my favorite guitar as of now...but today i tried changing the tuning to drop D. all the sudden everything is out of wack, and when i put it back in E standard, it still sound out of tune!!! jlka;fdljalja;fds;jlfad

my peavey has a kahler with heavy gauge strings and has no problem changing tunings...

and the bc rich has a floyd, with 9's..

what the hell is going on!?!?

how can i tune my bc rich to drop C with everything being all fuc*ed up?
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
You shouldn't have gotten a Floyd if you were planning on changing tunings dude...

But, adjust spring tension, then tune up. You'll have to spend a lot more time tuning than on a hardtail due to the Floyd's floating design. If the tuning of one string changes, they all change. So it takes FOREVER to tune.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
You're going to Drop C with 9s?

That doesn't sound like a good idea at all...

Even if the other strings are okay I imagine the low C wouldn't sound right because of the low tension.

I suggest getting 10s and then trying drop C.

If you mess with the tunings on a floyd you gotta adjust the springs in the back all the time.
Quote by siverstorm
You're going to Drop C with 9s?

That doesn't sound like a good idea at all...

Even if the other strings are okay I imagine the low C wouldn't sound right because of the low tension.

I suggest getting 10s and then trying drop C.

If you mess with the tunings on a floyd you gotta adjust the springs in the back all the time.

hell no, im gonna put some 13's on that ****er.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by JagerSlushy
You shouldn't have gotten a Floyd if you were planning on changing tunings dude...

But, adjust spring tension, then tune up. You'll have to spend a lot more time tuning than on a hardtail due to the Floyd's floating design. If the tuning of one string changes, they all change. So it takes FOREVER to tune.

..i have no idea how to do that...

i just thought it'd be fine, since i tuned my kahler just fine to drop C in about 10 minutes....

i just assumed it'd be this way with this guitar too.

GOD WTF

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Hmm... I don't think you should change tunning before you know how string tension and spring work...

Or ask someone experimented, before you f*** up your guitar...

Just a little advice...

-MDP
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
Hmm... I don't think you should change tunning before you know how string tension and spring work...

Or ask someone experimented, before you f*** up your guitar...

Just a little advice...

-MDP

well dude! where can i learn this?

if i bought some string from guitar center, do you think they'd set it up for me? since string changing is supposedly free with purchase?

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by natehimself
well dude! where can i learn this?

if i bought some string from guitar center, do you think they'd set it up for me? since string changing is supposedly free with purchase?

Youtube probably? Some friend helped me for it...

Well Guitar Center ask fee for string changing, maybe they can do it for free... It's not really hard.

Good luck

-MDP
I can give a step by step guide to change tunings easy with a Floyd, but I can't do it now. It'll take like 20 minutes to type and I have to leave my house in like 3... I'll try to get it up later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Or you can just look around in that thread siverstorm posted for other posts like that.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by siverstorm

i looked at it.... it's in a totally unknown foreign language i can't possibly comprehend...

-.-
lol, with all seriousness, i really don't understand what they're asking in they're instructions. i'm like a toddler when it comes to understanding this stuff lmfao

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by biga29
I can give a step by step guide to change tunings easy with a Floyd, but I can't do it now. It'll take like 20 minutes to type and I have to leave my house in like 3... I'll try to get it up later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Or you can just look around in that thread siverstorm posted for other posts like that.

dude please do!

it'd be awesome if you went through the trouble to help me understand this stuff!

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
If a Kahler is not a Floyd, then why did you expect it to be the same?

Also, you should have done a bit of research before buying a floyd... I don't know how you can be this surprised if you read EG at all.

But now that that's all in the past - what to do.

Read the sticky Silverstorm posted. Even if you have comprehensive issues, it has pictures, damn it.

Another thing, more of just food for thought really, and my opinion as well - you don't need damn 13's for drop C. I tune down to drop A# with 11's, and it's only slightly too slinky. I don't think 13's are good for anything personally, but that is your choice. If you like massive ass strings, then disregard this.

EDIT: just browsed the FR setup guide, and found this link https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23393542#post23393542

If that doesn't help you, not sure what can.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 19, 2010,
your best (at least easiest) bet might be to block it off. there are a few cool inventions that can block off your floyd and look really professional. check out floydupgrades.com (i think it is...). they have a few different things you can use.

if you block it off you won't be able to pull up on it anymore, but you will be able to tune down. then you can remove the whole thing all together if you decide later that you want a fully floating tremolo system.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Offworld92
If a Kahler is not a Floyd, then why did you expect it to be the same?

Also, you should have done a bit of research before buying a floyd... I don't know how you can be this surprised if you read EG at all.

But now that that's all in the past - what to do.

Read the sticky Silverstorm posted. Even if you have comprehensive issues, it has pictures, damn it.

Another thing, more of just food for thought really, and my opinion as well - you don't need damn 13's for drop C. I tune down to drop A# with 11's, and it's only slightly too slinky. I don't think 13's are good for anything personally, but that is your choice. If you like massive ass strings, then disregard this.

EDIT: just browsed the FR setup guide, and found this link https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23393542#post23393542

If that doesn't help you, not sure what can.

nah, but massive ass strings are good on some guitars, probably not this one cuz the neck is pretty slim. i'd stick some 11's in there maybe...

and i just thought since kahler+floyd=same concept, it would =same easyness?

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by natehimself
i looked at it.... it's in a totally unknown foreign language i can't possibly comprehend...

-.-
lol, with all seriousness, i really don't understand what they're asking in they're instructions. i'm like a toddler when it comes to understanding this stuff lmfao

Start doing some research.

Floyd roses are some of the most complicated bridges ever made. If you didn't understand even the picture tutorial posted after then you should just block it and hardtail your guitar.

If you do figure out how to work it properly you may need to buy more springs for the back. I put 10s on my guitar before I blocked it and the springs needed to be pushed back quite a bit for the trem to be level. I can only figure the angle your bridge will be at after you pop in 11s.
the strings are pulling the bridge one way the springs the other way, what you need to do is adjust the screws that attach the springs to the body, so that the base plate of the bridge is parallel to the body, this means that the tension between the springs and strings is balanced.

if you increase the string gauge(needed for your tuning you will have to adjust the intonation, truss rod and raise the action.

the 1 important rule with any adjustment is never turn anything more than a 1/4 of a turn at a time (if you mess up you know how far back to go)