So ive been thinkin of upgrading from my epiphone lp100. See im getting a peavey tube vypyr 60 and i was told that my pick ups will sound like crap with the amp. I heard that humbuckers do well with dirty tones, high gain and distortion but i also want a single coil sound too. I was thinking i could have the best of both worlds if i got an hss. I play alot of different genres and i need versitility. Could anybody suggest which one to buy. i have been playing for about a year and a half im trying to master all the intermediate to advanced skills. My budget is around 500$.
Why pluck just one string when you can...
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Get a MIM Strat?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
As the owner of a MIM HSS Start, I can say without a doubt that it is one of the better mid-priced guitars I've played. You can usually find one used for around $250, pick one up. It's a steal quality-wise.
i thought about an mim strat but is there any dif in the american made ones
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Quote by ledhead205
i thought about an mim strat but is there any dif in the american made ones

Not really, just that one is made in America and the other is made in Mexico. Also, the Mexican Strats usually have 21 frets, the Americans have 22.
well i do like 22 frets
which guitar do you suggest cause i plan on saving up plenty of money.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
I love the versatility of having HSS. But, I must say I don't use my humbucker that much.
It completely depends on the genres of music you play.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
well i play ALOT of different genres i think im gonna get the one in the link. good idea?
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Quote by ledhead205
Can you get a mim strat at guitar center i may have to buy an american made one.

i was thinking bout this.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-105156673-i1431994.gc

That's an MIM, the price is too low to be American. Also, unless you absolutely, positively NEED that 22nd fret, I'd go with the MIM. paying an extra $300 for an extra fret and a Made in America tag just isn't worth it. Also, you may want to try and find one with a maple neck.
Also consider the Schecter C-1+, OP, I own one and it's fantastic value for the money.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
OR should i get an ibanez cause i do like to play some metalcore every now and then. Would they be the same except for the shape of the neck. which would help playing fast im a lead guitarist. sorry how i kinda flipped on yall. I need something that is very versitile aand is good for leads. instead of hss should i go h-s-h. cause i like to use distortion. Now that i think about it HSH might be the way to go.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Last edited by ledhead205 at Jun 19, 2010,
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Last edited by ledhead205 at Jun 20, 2010,
Honestly, if I were you, I would go to your closest Guitar Center and try both of them out. It has to be something that feels good to you, and has the sound you're looking for.
i will sometime im leanin towards the ibanez cause i like to get down and play some hardcore pretty often but i like to play blues too.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
say i managed to save up 700 dollars what would be a good choice in ibanez with hsh configuration
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
I say get the Fender HWY 1. But 700 on an Ibanez, look for something in the RG line.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
one more think if i get a strat will it do okay with drop tunings. Thats a biggie.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
A definite YES. I own one and I am completely satisfied with it. Best guitar I've ever had.

ron666
Quote by hansolo1106
Save up another $100 and buy this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Deluxe-Lonestar-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-104650874-i1370112.gc

It's got really good pickups (much better than the stock MIM ones).

+1000000..... I have this guitar and it is amazing.... I was trying to decide between this and the Kramer sm-1 (the seymour duncan version, i hate EMGs), and I ended up choosing this. I play all styles of music, and this axe is much more versatile than the Kramer I was comparing it with. BTW, I was checking out a couple Ibanez's also, but the top two guitars I tried were the Kramer and the Fender. I seriously recommend getting this guitar, OP, if you haven't picked a guitar yet.

For reference, my rig is this guitar with a Blackstar HT-5 and a POD HD500 with the 4-cable method, and it sounds amazing through the Blackstar (think Richie Blackmore-esque tones). Through the medium-gain models on the POD (the Dr. Z, the divided by 13) it has a glassy Hendrix-y tone, and, if you choose to turn on an OD, you can boost it up to ZZ-Top/Neil Young/Pink Floyd levels. On the clean models on the POD, the guitar sounds absolutely stunning (think Dire Straits, Tom Petty).

All in all, this guitar is absolutely amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to spend an extra $400 for a Made in USA sticker on a guitar.
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Last edited by wahalrus at May 22, 2012,
My main guitar is an MIM HSS strat and I wholeheartedly recommend it.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Yeaaah mate, you just necrobumped a 2 year old thread... I'm pretty sure he'll have chosen a guitar by now..
Check out my fitness blog here
butbutbut necrobumping is funnn... lemme go cry myself a river
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Oh damn, didn't even realize that!
MegaBump!
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell