I know this is a common question but seeing as how I have yet to be able to go play one what are the the benefits of the 6 over the 5 and vice versa?

My playing style is mainly progressive metal, though I really enjoy slapping and heard that proves to be difficult on a 6 string neck.

I am just looking for ideas, I intend to play both whenever I have the time to take the hour and a half drive to the closest music store.

Also if you have any specific basses to try or look around for my price range is around $800.
Upgrade to a six string and tune it to standard guitar tuning. That would be badass.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
They are a bit harder to slap on but by no means impossible, I can slap on my six.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
They are a bit harder to slap on but by no means impossible, I can slap on my six.

So would a sixer be a better investment in the long run?
More strings means more playability and some easier progressions. Are the necks usually uncomfortable?
The sixth string tends to not be used for so much ordinary playing, but yes it is worth it. The necks are different, not uncomfortable. It took me about a week to get properly used to mine

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

the myth about not being able to slap on a 6 is stupid. I can sap on my acoustic guitar, it just takes practice. The string spacing is kinda tight yeah but its easy to overcome.

as for 5 vs 6. thats a tough decision. I chose a six for several reasons.
1) I will never go "damn, les claypool was using his 6 string for that."
2) chording. I love chording on a bass and the High C really opens that up.
3) they are freaking badass. seriously, even if your just playing "money" is sweet as hell looking.

some downsides to the 6.
1) STRINGS, holy god if you want flats on your 6 string you''re pretty much screwed. If you use a standard string set thats super common you'll be just fine though.
2) Hope your muting is up to par. more strings = more muting, simple as that.
3) weight. six strings are beefy.
no sir away a papaya war is on
6 string is better. Its a 5 plus 1 more string. Plus its too badass for life. Get the 6. Unless you just wanna do what half of the bass players do and just play root notes on the low B; if thats the case get a 5, other wise 6 is where its at.
If you weren't using the C, you could always tune your bass F#BEADG, or some other alt tuning to be useful.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

They aren't as much upgrades as much as different... technically. Go play them at a store. If possible, play each for a few hours, so as to get over any excitement, per say, and think about how they feel, in general terms. Obviously, all basses are different, but just to get a general idea.
I went from 4 to 6 strings, and I'm never looking back. I use my 6th string frequently because i mirror some of my guitarists riffs and since he's got the B and E string having that 6th string helps him translate riffs, and keeps me from having to work harder then necessary.
I think the 6er is worth it in the long run. and if you know how to use it in the long run, you'll look really impressive playing it.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Go and play some, doesn't really matter which bass it is as long as it gives you an impression of the difference between a 5 and a 6. Then you can make a decision as to whether you think its suitable for you.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
6 string is better. Its a 5 plus 1 more string. Plus its too badass for life. Get the 6. Unless you just wanna do what half of the bass players do and just play root notes on the low B; if thats the case get a 5, other wise 6 is where its at.

I got to play my friends 5 string dean today and wasn't really impressed. the low b had a lot of fret buzz, I'm assuming it was just the bass itself.

Na i'm not really into the whole root note playing style, I am relativity new but I jumped in learning things above my head so I wouldn't be forced to baby step up.

I've yet to really find a 6 at the local music store and have yet made the trip to GC, I really should.
You really need to try both some 5-er's and 6-er's and compare them. I won't try and sway you one way or another since one isn't better or more useful then the other, they're just different.

Get the 6 string if you'll use the extra string. If you don't feel like you'll use it enough, get a 5 string, and get more bang for your buck. The fact of the matter is your selection for 6 string basses will be limited, and they'll be more expensive then their 5 string counterparts. You'll just have more options to choose from with a 5-er.

That being said, if you think you'll use the C string (or whatever you tune it to) enough to make it worth the extra cash, then go for it. You don't want to buy a 5 string and find yourself wishing it was a 6-er later down the road.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I got a five string, and about a year and a half later I honestly wish I had gotten the 6 string. I find I want it a lot so I don't have to change positions. I play in all my school bands, and I play high f/g a lot. I would suggest the sixer if you do anything like that. And as people said, you look bad ass. You could look at the ibanez 6 strings, they have a thinner neck, and they're very comfortable.
I can play virtually anything I want on a 4 string. If I decide I want to shred so hard that it becomes too inconvenient for me to move my hand down the fretboard to play the lower notes (tapping takes care of a lot of that), then I will consider a 5 or 6
Well I really love Dream Theater's and Protest The Hero's style.

I know DT uses 6 string and I think PTH does on some occasions. So I am leading more towards six. I'm not really much of a bass wanker yet though.

All in all I'll end up heading to GC and spending a Saturday there.
Quote by HybridRiot
Well I really love Dream Theater's and Protest The Hero's style.

I know DT uses 6 string and I think PTH does on some occasions. So I am leading more towards six. I'm not really much of a bass wanker yet though.

All in all I'll end up heading to GC and spending a Saturday there.

Arif uses Spectors, a 4 on Kezia, and a Green 5 on Fortess.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!