So I would like to write some songs, but I dont know how what chords to use, and is it like I choose like "the key of E" and pick chords from there? and I dont know what that even means... and like how do I make a song sound happy or sad
The first step would be writing a chord progression, which you should definitely look into if you don't know how.

Major Chords generally sound happy or upbeat, while minor chords sound pretty melancholy.
ok how do i write a chord progression. Isnt like I pick. E and then its E,F,G,A,B?
Personally, I dont use keys. If a certain chord or note sounds good, then I use it. You just need to make sure that it doesnt' sound "off of the wall" or anything like that. If you do this, you should "generally" be in the right key. Music has no boundries.
Sometimes playing chords that your favorite artists use helps. I listen to a lot of Incubus, John Mayer, RHCP and Jeff Buckley so a lot the chords I play are based around the chords they would play. So if you wanted to play in the key of E you could write a I-iii-IV (E,G#m,A) progression like this.

-----------------
7---------------
8------4--------
6------4---6---
7------x---4---
-------4----5---

or

9-----4---2
x-----4---2
9-----6---2
7-----x---0
-------4---

or

0---------0---
0----4---0---
11---4--6---
9----3--7---
7----x--7---
-----4---5---

or

0------------
0----4---5---
11---4--6---
9----3--7---
7----x--x---
-----4---5---

Just mess around with different inversions of chords. Remember that Major chords have the 1-3-5 in a chord and a minor chord have the 1-b3-5. So a E major would be E,B,G# and E minor is E,B,G. Using that knowledge you can make any chord inversion you want. Like the 7-9-11 chord is E, B, F# the F# is the natural 2nd. Making it a E sus(I think).

The Ultimate Guide to Guitar This will help you out so much so read it and write down things in a notebook that seem important to you and also bookmark that link.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr