Hi all.
I've found this bass on the garbage a while ago, but only now I've tried to do something out of it.

Tried to find the bass online with no success. The brand apparently doesn't exist.

The body is of heavy wood, except for the section with the knobs and pickups (that strangely are from a guitar and not a bass).

The neck seams slightly twisted (but nothing serious I think).

I've taken a few shots of it.

I'm trying to:
- Find out what bass this it (if it has brand and model)
- Find out if it can be fixed in order to try playing it (never played bass or any guitar before)

Here is the foto gallery: http://img532.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscf6993.jpg
It says 'Century' on the headstock, right? 'Cos that's what I'm seeing, and it's not a marque I'm familiar with. Looking at it, it's either a copy of a early/mid 70's Teisco, or it's a Teisco rebranded. They did that sometimes, for various markets, esp., the USA.
They're frequently absurdly heavy, and the hardware isn't usually of the best. That having said, they do have their own charm, and they'll work a treat for retro or punk.
I'll have a little look elsewhere.

EDIT:I've seen worse necks - string 'er up, and see what happens.
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Jun 19, 2010,
Tks for the reply.

Regarding the strings, I'll try and see if it works.
My worst concern besides the neck are the pickups and the cover that is around them.

The cover definitely isn't from origin and its been put there by someone.
The inner hardware is in the cover itself (I'll put a photo soon so you can see for yourself).

The pickups, both are from guitar (since they have 6 magnets) and one aparently is not even connected to anywhere that I can see.

PS: Yes, it says "Century" on the headstock. And it doesn't ring a bell to me either.

EDIT: here are the photos of the bass without cover, cover and hardware in detail: http://img39.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscf7002x.jpg
Last edited by Aarin at Jun 19, 2010,
They do look like guitar pups alright. I'm really not sure about it; Century I can't find anything on, but like I say, I wouldn't bet against it being Teisco. They used many names, but the bass guitars had bass pups. Much like those ones, but with 4 poles.
I'm just working on gut feeling that it's Japanese, but it might equally be Italian, German, or Eastern European of that era. They too produced all sorts of weird and wonderful instruments, cheaply for export.
I hate not knowing what something is...
I seem to remember that Ibanez, in its early days, had a century line. You might want to post up on the Ibanez sites and see if you get any feedback.
From what you have seen, what do you think I should do? Try to repair it cheaply (since I only want something to start learning bass), or buy a new one?

Since I don't even know the true value of the bass, I don't even know how worthwhile is to repair it...
I'd say try to repair it either way. If of course it's repairable.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Aarin
From what you have seen, what do you think I should do? Try to repair it cheaply (since I only want something to start learning bass), or buy a new one?

Since I don't even know the true value of the bass, I don't even know how worthwhile is to repair it...

who cares about value? it still might sound good when you do it up?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Aarin

Well, if it was worth something, then repairing it would destroy that value.

So just repair it! You've probably got nothing to lose!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
If the neck is twisted then I wouldn't waste time or money because if it can be straightened (Which I doubt) it will twist again (Let's Twist Again )

A twist or warp is not the same a neck bow which is relatively easy to correct always assuming that there's a truss rod.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn