I've been wondering why people spend like $170 on a voodoo lab or $190 on a powerplant to power their pedals instead of just using a daisy chain (click) which costs $15. Does it make consolidating your pedals THAT much easier? I feel like buying a voodoo lab is ridiculously expensive especially when you have such a cheap alternative.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
There's a number of reasons why...

- Daisy chains can introduce noise.
- Daisy chains only power pedals of their particular type, whereas a power supply unit can supply different types of power.
- It's alot neater on the board.
- Power supplies can be more reliable than a daisy chain.
- Power supplies have warranties; daisy chains don't.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I once plugged my bass pedal into a daisy chain being used by my guitarist, and my bass was coming through his amp, even though i was connected to my own amp... was cool to start with, annoying after a while
Ignoring people's opinions since 1987
Quote by Hidden Hippo
There's a really good article on this on a website I discovered the other day. I think it is by a member of this forum, so all credit to them.

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/power.htm

Excellent find mate!
Quote by Raijouta

- Daisy chains only power pedals of their particular type, whereas a power supply unit can supply different types of power.

i can understand a few of those. though i feel like buying a noise suppressor is still cheaper than the power supply. also i'm ok with a somewhat messy board. but thats just me.

thanks though. i was a little confused about it. i'm sure i'll get one eventually when i get some money that i don't want to spend on something else.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by crzysnowborder
i can understand a few of those. though i feel like buying a noise suppressor is still cheaper than the power supply. also i'm ok with a somewhat messy board. but thats just me.

thanks though. i was a little confused about it. i'm sure i'll get one eventually when i get some money that i don't want to spend on something else.

Actually... the noise introduced from daisy chains is significantly worse than what you'd get from your preamp section. Have you heard a terribly noisy signal chain before?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Daisy Chains usually work well, but not always. Effects pedals are very finicky about having a steady voltage running through them and a power supply ensures this. Most daisy chain cables are pretty thin and they don't stand up well to twisting and other road-type abuse. Also, as someone has already mentioned, not all pedals use the same voltage. A power supply such as that found on a powered pedalboard can run different pedals at different voltages.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Raijouta

All of these, but the first can still apply to some power supplies...which are a glorified daisy chain in box form
It's obviously a lot nicer to have a proper power supply.

I really don't understand how they sell for £150 though, that's just insane.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by crzysnowborder

It is folly to try to remove noise with another device when you can stop it at the source. A lower noisefloor is always desirable, shit in shit out.
Some pedals simply won't work off the same supply and need to be isolated. Sometimes there is no real benefit over a daisy chain, but it's a bit of a "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" situation.

PS: I would never buy a power supply for that much. They are crazy easy to build for a mere fraction of that cost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
It is folly to try to remove noise with another device when you can stop it at the source. A lower noisefloor is always desirable, shit in shit out.
Some pedals simply won't work off the same supply and need to be isolated. Sometimes there is no real benefit over a daisy chain, but it's a bit of a "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" situation.

PS: I would never buy a power supply for that much. They are crazy easy to build for a mere fraction of that cost.

I've been thinking about building one, could you point me to where I can find appropriate transformers in Australia? I know Weber makes one specifically for pedal power supplies, but I cant find anywhere to buy it from. I might just have to order from Weber, but I'd prefer if I could find one in Australia.
If you use something like a LM317 for the regulator then you can use any transformer with an output of between 9V and 30V. That means you can rat out any old transformer out of practically any modern gadget, just check the current rating of the thing you butcher. I always scavenge the transformers out of broken gear. Best to look for something closer to 12V than 9V so you can skimp on the filter. If you want 18V you'll want something up around 25V.
Of course you could also just buy one from Jaycar. Something with two taps would be better really if you want 18V as well. Say 12V and 30V or thereabouts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This is one of the reasons I prefer rack mounted units to a floor full of pedals. No need to daisy chain as I run 3 separate power supplies for my Effects, gate and my board and no messy pedal board on the floor. Just one midi board.

I played along side a band recently where the lead guitarist had a pedal board consisting of around 4-5 pedals and seemingly was using batteries for all of them....

I say this because during the first song the wah pedals batteries ran out.....
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Cool. I'll have a look around some old stuff I have lying around then
I was looking at the Weber because it has 8 isolated 11v 300ma taps, plus a 9v 1A tap I could leave as AC for my MIDI controller, rather than having a separate adapter for it. I dont need 18v so thats no problem, plus if I did I'd have spare outputs I could combine, because I dont have a heap of pedals.
using a daisy chain there is a voltage drop that occurs the further you move along the chain, using a proper power brick which has, power conditioning surge, protection and the ability to power all your pedals equally is by far the better option.

just ordered my dc brick so it should be here monday / tuesday

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/30979-jim-dunlop-dcb1-dc-brick-power-supply-black.html
Quote by littlephil
Cool. I'll have a look around some old stuff I have lying around then
I was looking at the Weber because it has 8 isolated 11v 300ma taps, plus a 9v 1A tap I could leave as AC for my MIDI controller, rather than having a separate adapter for it. I dont need 18v so thats no problem, plus if I did I'd have spare outputs I could combine, because I dont have a heap of pedals.

Sounds perfect. How much is it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That does look good. When you get around to designing your circuit you may find this useful:
http://www.reuk.co.uk/LM317-Voltage-Calculator.htm

PS; the 9Vac output would also give you an excuse to buy a Quadraverb, that's what they run on
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification