Ok I got a new guitar and the guy before me wired up a white SD JB pup in the bridge. I looked inside because my plan is to fill in all the single coil holes and just have a bridge pickup. Finished unwiring and there is a shit ton of solder on the Pots. How do I get rid of it all? All I have is desoldering braid but I don't think it can pick all that up. Even after a few goes at it.

Here's some pictures.

It also looks like the silver wire lead from the pickup has some more cable back in the heat shrink not sure though. Is it safe to wire it down anyway?

One last thing. Is it ok to use this kind of wire throughout the wiring process if I get it all cleaned up? It's about the thickness of single coil pickup wire.

Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Jun 19, 2010,
take out the pot and heat up the back until some solder starts melting (hold it with pliers). then shake it once really hard. repeat until the solder is gone.

solder will fly wherever you shake it so do it outside or in a shop or smt.
When I shook it, it just spread throughout the whole bottom of the pot...
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
buy new pots?

maybe after heating the solder like jim said use something to scrape it iono
Desoldering braid works well for me, but pots can easily be damaged when doing this soldering and desoldering, using a higher wattage iron, 45-50 should suffice, can help by reducing the time it takes to heat the solder. You should wait until the pot has completely cooled before doing this again if you need to go at it more than once.
Going to just buy a new one. The entire bottom of the pot is full of solder. The guy before me just piled it up. Crazyy.

Thanks for the help though guys.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
get a toothpick to brush it off once its heated, thats what i do
im horrible with soldering so i have to do this frequently...
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
You need a "Desoldering Pump Vacuum Tool Solder Sucker" or a pipette as I call it. Heat the solder up and suck it up! You can get them off ebay for a few quid
My mistake...I didn't see that....but useful info for the future anyway considering no one on this thread knew about the vacuum sucker. I have used in the past and works a treat...now I will go away