Bands like Sonic Youth, Modest Mouse, Long Division, etc. have this weird kind of overdrive/distortion that I've been trying to get for a long time.

Long Division(a band my friend is in and who released their first album about a year or so ago, and some indie fans may have heard of them by now) uses boost pedals so it kind of overdrives their amps(instead of using an actual overdrive pedal, which simulates a distorted signal, boosting the signal will create "real" overdrive.) but Sonic Youth uses a bunch of distortion pedals, some are boost, some are distortion, some are overdrive, etc. and Modest Mouse has a few different types of distortion(although their very early stuff sounds like they just boosted their signal like Long Division and Mogwai(sometimes) do).

So is that all most of these bands are doing? Is just boosting their guitar's signal? Because I have a Boss ME-70 with a boost distortion on it, and I can get a sound close to that but it's far from being what I'm thinking of. I do use humbucker guitars(as opposed to most indie and alternative bands, who use single coil guitars) just because I used to be a big metal head :P

So yeah, how can I get that distortion that Sonic Youth, Modest Mouse, etc. have? Because it's really cool and I haven't been able to reproduce it(and indie rock with blaring metal distortion just doesn't sound good, lol)
It's probably gonna come from a tube amp. You can't really overdrive a SS amp the way a tube amp does. The tone's gonna probably mostly come from the amp rather than pedals. If that helps ya any.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
hmm for modest mouse....
step 1: drink more then anybody in a 5 mile radius
step 2: do whatever you want
step 3: break as many things as possible
step 4: record it
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Well why don't you ask your friend... he'll know, right? Unless he's the drummer or something.
Quote by AcousticMirror
hmm for modest mouse....

this is exactly how they get that sound.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Quote by AcousticMirror
hmm for modest mouse....

Modest Mouse is by far my favorite band in history and I just have to mention that I've never seen a more perfect description of anything in my life.
Take Dramamine. like the song.

It's motion sickness medicine. Very bizarre.
Oh, you DO want a free demo?
Quote by voodoochild23
Well why don't you ask your friend... he'll know, right? Unless he's the drummer or something.

I haven't seen him in forever cause he's been touring and when he's not, he's at work ALOT and i don't wanna bother him, lol. He did explain to me that he uses a boost pedal because his "amp breaks up easily" which I guess means that it gets overdriven easily. But I didn't ask if it was a tube amp or not :P