Quote by hardrockerdave9
I'm thinking of gettting this http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/gibson_les_paul_studio_raw_power_satin_gold_gold_hardware.html
But I hate the colour of the fretboard, is there a way I can stain it a darker colour?

Fender clearcoat their maple fretboards so, assuming Gibson do the same, you'd have to de-fret, sand the existing finish off, stain and then refinish and refret.

Technically possible, but you could potentially ruin your nice new fretboard if you don't know what you're doing.

Don't they do a similar model with rosewood or other darker fretboard?
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Jun 19, 2010,
I didn't think you'd need to de-fret it would you? So long as you're careful about it I think it's possible without the long process of fretting which would make me cry I'd imagine.
Try calling Gibson and ask them to make one custom for you... who knows lol they might oblige.

For some extra dough of course
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
maple fret boards, in addition to look, are for a brighter tone. so if you had to, you could remove the maple board and install a ebony fretboard. its dark and bright. or do rosewood (or any wood!)if you dont care so much about the tone. some debate the effect fretboards have on tone. just make sure you get the right scale, 24.75 for les pauls
Well seeing as the main selling point of the raw power is the maple, and you want to get rid of that look.. why not buy a different guitar? it would be alot easier and you wouldn't kill the resale value by doing a bunch of home-made mods to it. Just my 2 cents.
Sand/remove the clear
mask off the fretboard from everything else
apply stain
clear
un mask
clean frets.

You guys make this out to be a huge undertaking. It's not really that hard at all as long as you know exactly what your doing.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
^this
its not some huge ordeal, just take your time not to screw up the frets and you'll be fine.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!