Hi, I was wondering if you guys knew of any tips, or links to lessons aboot how to play solos like from the Eighties shred, hair, glam and power metal bands. Any advice would be appreciated
tap a lot, and use a lot of whammy bar
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Sweep pick ... a lot. Just learn a bunch of Malmsteen tunes and you'll be set.
look up paul gilbert. He is an AMAZING guitar player and he teaches a bunch also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
swannies' comments are pretty funny - and true. lol.

Keep in mind - the genre you're talking about is really overflowing with scary, scary guitar players. ( scary as in good ) Paul Gilbert is pretty incredible.
so is Warren DiMartini speaking of great 80's players.
Nuno Bettincourt - soooo many -

Also, alot of the 80's guitar vibe was a crazy -echo-ey - delay - mega compressed crunchy sound. ( picture an 80's synth heavy pop song with a crazy shredding solo in it... Richard Marx any one? )

I would encourage you to learn a couple classic, classic solos from the 80's if you really want to get the 80's vibe ...

Quiet Riot. Cum on Feel the Noise. - Carlos Cavazo's solo in this song is almost the quintessential 80's solo of all time. i'm tellin' ya man -

Def Leppard - Photograph solo

Autograph - Turn up the Radio - solo

Twisted Sister - We're not gonna take it - solo

evh Jump solo

"Gonna fly now" - ( theme from Rocky ) if you listen to it all the way thru - there is this crazy 80's solo that just rips it up over the last part of the song - it's kinda funny really.

Top Gun anthem - this is Steve Stevens - billy idols guitarist - NOT Satch...

Alot of times you hear something that is "80's -" it's some crazy guitar solo that sounds like EVH's handicapped step brother just wanking all over the fret board - just appreciate the fact that after Eddie Van - his guitar style and sound was immediately explored in an entire generation of players.

hope this helps you -
Last edited by StevieRayHalen at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by StevieRayHalen
swannies' comments are pretty funny - and true. lol.

Keep in mind - the genre you're talking about is really overflowing with scary, scary guitar players. ( scary as in good ) Paul Gilbert is pretty incredible.
so is Warren DiMartini speaking of great 80's players.
Nuno Bettincourt - soooo many -

Also, alot of the 80's guitar vibe was a crazy -echo-ey - delay - mega compressed crunchy sound. ( picture an 80's synth heavy pop song with a crazy shredding solo in it... Richard Marx any one? )

I would encourage you to learn a couple classic, classic solos from the 80's if you really want to get the 80's vibe ...

Quiet Riot. Cum on Feel the Noise. - Carlos Cavazo's solo in this song is almost the quintessential 80's solo of all time. i'm tellin' ya man -

Def Leppard - Photograph solo

Autograph - Turn up the Radio - solo

Twisted Sister - We're not gonna take it - solo

evh Jump solo

"Gonna fly now" - ( theme from Rocky ) if you listen to it all the way thru - there is this crazy 80's solo that just rips it up over the last part of the song - it's kinda funny really.

Top Gun anthem - this is Steve Stevens - billy idols guitarist - NOT Satch...

Alot of times you hear something that is "80's -" it's some crazy guitar solo that sounds like EVH's handicapped step brother just wanking all over the fret board - just appreciate the fact that after Eddie Van - his guitar style and sound was immediately explored in an entire generation of players.

hope this helps you -

Hey, this sounds like some pretty good advice. At first I was thinking more Chris Holmes kind of stuff, now you've got me thinking basically EVERY 80's action movie/ television show theme song!
Satch stuff
Paul Gilbert..
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
^

to add to stevie ray halen's list..

panama is a classic solo, easy but covers all the basis

also seventeen by winger.. nothin but a good time by poison. round and round by ratt

for some more regular 80's metal type, but not so much hair metal
over the mountain by ozzy, the trooper by iron maiden and living after midnight by judas priest

pretty much lots of delay, gain, reverb, some chorus. then fast playing, minor pentatonic scale, pinch harmonics, tapping, and whammy bar tricks..and have fun while doing it
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Last edited by camaross427 at Jun 20, 2010,